MISC 04/26/08: In a hole in the ground…

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 26 2008, 1:14pm

Post #1 of 10 (561 views)
Shortcut
MISC 04/26/08: In a hole in the ground… Can't Post

Greetings!

I am honored to be your "guest host" for MISC Loresilme’s wonderful, weekend series of “Miscellaneous, Interesting Screencaps”.

For about a year now, Loresilme has been posting a random screencap from the Jackson film trilogy on Saturdays or Sundays, along with the corresponding book text. She wrote to me about the need to take a break, and I figured that after a year we could give her some vacation time!

So, here is your first “guest MISC” screencap -- and, given the news this week, this one was a natural...

I give you Bag End:

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.

It had a perfectly round door like a porthole, painted green, with a shiny yellow brass knob in the exact middle. The door opened on to a tube-shaped hall like a tunnel: a very comfortable tunnel without smoke, with panelled walls, and floors tiled and carpeted, provided with polished chairs, and lots and lots of pegs for hats and coats-the hobbit was fond of visitors. The tunnel wound on and on, going fairly but not quite straight into the side of the hill-The Hill, as all the people for many miles round called it-and many little round doors opened out of it, first on one side and then on another. No going upstairs for the hobbit: bedrooms, bathrooms, cellars, pantries (lots of these), wardrobes (he had whole rooms devoted to clothes), kitchens, dining-rooms, all were on the same floor, and indeed on the same passage. The best rooms were all on the left-hand side (going in), for these were the only ones to have windows, deep-set round windows looking over his garden, and meadows beyond, sloping down to the river.”

And since I can somehow, never, ever, just pick one Screencap, here’s the guy who lives here:

“This hobbit was a very well-to-do hobbit, and his name was Baggins. The Bagginses had lived in the neighbourhood of The Hill for time out of mind, and people considered them very respectable, not only because most of them were rich, but also because they never had any adventures or did anything unexpected: you could tell what a Baggins would say on any question without the bother of asking him. This is a story of how a Baggins had an adventure, and found himself doing and saying things altogether unexpected. He may have lost the neighbours' respect, but he gained-well, you will see whether he gained anything in the end.”

I don’t know about the rest of you, but the Bag End set makes me want to just wander down the halls and see if any dwarves are hanging around in there somewhere. And I’m not sure I can put a label on what it is that made Ian Holm work so well as Bilbo, but in him I see a Baggins on the outside, and a Took on the inside, thanks to that adventure-loving “look of a Took” in his eye. He looks right at home!

With that, this MISC is open for your discussion pleasure…enjoy!

Weaver

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 26 2008, 1:59pm

Post #2 of 10 (399 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Weaver! And, a call for other guest hosts ... step right up! Don't be shy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great caps, Weaver! I love how Bag End has that lived-in look, you can just see Bilbo's personality all over it ... the maps, the piles of books and papers. At first glance it seems like the home of a guy who lives more in his head and not so much out in the world, until you take a look at Bilbo's face in that second cap and see that adventurous, spunky spirit just shine right through!

Thanks for handling MISC this week!

And now, calling all Movie TORnsibs....

Did you ever take a stroll through the screencap library and just find a particular screencap that strikes you in a new way? One that just seems particularly interesting, or beautiful, or there's something about it you just never noticed (despite watching the films fifty times)?

Have you watched the films lately and gone ga-ga all over again about a particular scene and just wanted to talk to everyone here about it and get their thoughts on it too?

Is there any one scene that you just love so much you never get tired of discussing it … with other similarly obsessed fans (like us?)

Is something going on in your life that makes you think about the story of LOTR, some of the themes or events, and there's a particular moment depicted that really speaks to you, and you just want to make that connection about it with your 'sibs here?

Have you read the books lately and realized how you really liked (or, didn't like) the way a particular scene was realized in the visual and musical realm of the films?

Or, like today's MISC, are there any parts of the films that make you wonder about how it might relate to the future Hobbit movies?

If you said 'yes' to any of the above, then you should jump in and try a turn or two posting a MISC! Because that's what MISC is about, just posting those random screencaps that move you in a particular way on a particular day. It can be an artistic mood … like a stroll through an art gallery, where you just stop and view and appreciate an artist's work quietly without 'saying' a whole lot … or it can be a technical mood … where the film scenes are placed in the context of the books' descriptions … or where the various technical aspects of creating the scene are discussed on their own ... or just a fun mood, a moment where you really appreciate how an actor captures a particular character, for instance.

Including the text from the book is a wonderful way to bring the Professor's words here to the Movie board and also spark some great discussion regarding how the scenes ultimately were visualized. And another great resource is the Council of Elrond site, which contains the transcripts from the films. It really re-creates the moment to have the film's dialogue (if there was any) right there with the screencap.

MISC is a great post for the weekends, for that Saturday morning frame of mind when the board activity might be a little slower and people just drop in wanting to say hi over coffee. Very relaxed and casual … a place to bask in simple enjoyment of the LOTR films and story.

I'm going to need to take some time off until early July, so in order to keep MISC going til then, we'll need volunteers from May 3 to June 28. If you've ever had a hankering to express yourself on a random cap or two .... don't be shy! Whether you’re a newbie or an oldbie … if you have some screencaps that you'd just loooooove to talk about, please give it a try. It will be great to see the individual spin each person puts on their own MISC! And if you have any concerns about the technical aspects of posting a picture, believe me, it is so simple, once you do it you'll wish you'd learned a long time ago. I can always send the written step-by-step instructions to anyone who is interested.

If anyone's interested in handling a MISC during any weekends between May 3 and June 28, either post here in Weaver's MISC thread, or you can PM me, whichever works best for you! If you have any particular weekend (or weekends) you'd like to handle, please include that. Any and all questions, comments, inquiries, please feel free to PM me or post them here!

And thanks again, Weaver, for kicking off our Guest Host schedule!

Heart Loresilme

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 26 2008, 2:57pm

Post #3 of 10 (375 views)
Shortcut
and I will offer support for anyone considering... [In reply to] Can't Post

I seek out a lot of screencaps for various work I do here and for my website. Although the Lord of the Rings Image Library is the first place I look and it's a great resource, it doesn't always have the shot I want. So I make my own. Usually, in the process, I will lighten the images up a little since most are pretty dark on my screen (although I recently learned that my screen is darker than newer ones).

It is fairly easy for me to do a screencap of any shot in the films. One can either precisely describe what one is looking for - designating edition and chapter #/title - or, if using a NTSC dvd player (North America and a few other countries), a timestamp. Give me a few days to prepare it/them and I can get it back to you. My email add is in my profile. PM would work for asking but I'm not sure I can transfer via PM. If you don't know how to embed the image I give you in the post, I can help with that, too.

Loresilme, you've been a gem with these. I love reading your thoughts and always enjoy the discussions. Thanks for all the work you've put into it. And good for you when recognizing when you need a break.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2008, 9:03pm

Post #4 of 10 (384 views)
Shortcut
I love how thoroughly messy and lived-in [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's Bag End is. Contrast that with the surgically clean and straightened Bag End under Frodo's care, and you can see just how little relaxation Frodo found in the Shire after the destruction of the ring.

Here's a thought: Will PJ make his Bag End available for filming again (given that it's now a guest cottage on his property), or will Weta recreate it?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2008, 9:55pm

Post #5 of 10 (368 views)
Shortcut
Bag End was just as I imagined it . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagined it in no other way, and when I saw it for the first time, I was amazed. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it in The Hobbit. Smile

Ash nazg durbatulûk, Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

I'm hosting THE URUK-HAI in The Reading Room! Swing by and join in!

Nienna
Rohan

Apr 26 2008, 11:26pm

Post #6 of 10 (363 views)
Shortcut
In a hole in the ground [In reply to] Can't Post

I tingled with excitement when I read your subject heading.
I adored the book version of Bilbo and I adored Ian Holm's version of Bilbo.
The picture of Bag End makes me want to knock on the door in the hope of a cuppa, if not second breakfast.
It would be SO lovely to sit down with all the books and papers scattered about and chat with Bilbo about his adventures - perhaps have a look at the photos etc.
I might be lucky enough to be there when Gandalf popped in.
Thank you for the picture of Bag End - it was great.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2008, 1:06am

Post #7 of 10 (347 views)
Shortcut
Home Sweet Home [In reply to] Can't Post

I adore Bag End. I want to live there. Yeah, AND I want to wander the halls and smell the garden through the windows and listen to the kettle sing. It just makes be feel so peaceful to know that Bag End is alive and well in Peter's back yard.

That picture of Bilbo/Ian Holm is one of my favourites. Look at that glowing smile! You really can see the Took in him... and the joy.

Great choices on the text and pictures. Thank you so much for sharing the load with Loresilme. Thank you both!! :D

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Rivendweller
Lorien

Apr 27 2008, 8:20pm

Post #8 of 10 (347 views)
Shortcut
I'll take you up on that offer magpie ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme definitely deserves a break and while I am NOT very techno-savvy, I will do my best to help out ! I need a mind-break and this will do very nicely I think !

You may still have my e-mail but if not I will PM you with it shortly. I have a few ideas tumbling around in my head and mayhaps you could give me a nudge in the direction to find the best screencaps.

About this pci of Bag End though...I. Love. It. I just love it. Bag End is one of my favorite places to look at and I would love to live there. Even though my screen nick states I would love to dwell in Rivendell ( and I would - just for the peace of mind it brings...) Bag End holds a charm that none can surpass. Lived in and loved. It exudes a place of comfort, familiarity and home.

Ian Holm as Bilbo is a piece of work isn't he? The mischevious gleam in those eyes and that ever loving hobbity smile....

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Rivendweller
Lorien

Apr 27 2008, 8:30pm

Post #9 of 10 (341 views)
Shortcut
I've been wondering the exact same thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Since we were given a glimpse a few weeks ago of Sir Ian looking very much at home in Bag End at PJ's place while on tour for King Lear ( I think that's when it was ) I wonder if PJ could part with it !

I think I jumped up and down in glee in anticipation of Alan Lee and John Howe returning, along with Weta than I did for anything else. Watching the post-production appendices cencerning these fellows left me in utter amazement. Just seeing John Howe and Alan Lee drop to the ground and whip out their sketchbooks at the first sight of the location picked out for the Shire and PJ filming the event gave me goosebumps.

I hope they re-create Bag End actually. One, so PJ can keep his first and original for himself and guests. ( I'm sure Mr. Del Toro will be having many a fireside chat with PJ and Fran and Phillipia if they haven't done so already ! Wink ) and two: so that perhaps this time around it can be left for the tourists to actually walk through.
They may need to enlarge it to fit twelve dwarves in besides Gandalf and Bilbo !! Shocked Forced perspective or no this time !! * chuckles* I'm sure there will be many sets with different Bag Ends made up besides duplicating the original one here. Just thinking about that made me realize what a daunting task they will have just for those scenes alone !

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Apr 29 2008, 2:29pm

Post #10 of 10 (370 views)
Shortcut
Bag End! [In reply to] Can't Post

When we were at the Hobbiton/Bag End set last month we asked the locals if anyone had come by scouting for The Hobbit, and they claimed to know nothing about it. And they might not. I'm sure there are many details to be settled, and perhaps the filmmakers will only use interior shots instead of fixing Hobbiton up to look as it did during the filming of LotR

We were told that the owners of the Hobbiton site are asking (who, I'm not sure -- the Tolkien Estate, probably) for permission to re-build Sam and Rosie's home, which was one of those bulldozed, not that that will be in The Hobbit. But I'd love to see the doors and windows painted again, and the gardens re-planted, and....

Well, the place is right now a shell of what it was, and yet several of us were in tears at seeing it. It's very easy to imagine the interior of Bag End running along behind the darkened windows.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.