Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who will play Bilbo!?!?!?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Sunnydale_Strider

Apr 26 2008, 12:42pm

Post #1 of 37 (767 views)
Shortcut
Who will play Bilbo!?!?!? Can't Post

Hey, I've been coming to this site for a long time I've only just decided to sign up and post. So hello everyone!

I am sorry if this has been brought up of late as I assume a lot of people wonder but next time Guillermo del Toro is about I'd love to know his thoughts on Bilbo and how will play him. I think Ian Holm was perfect to Bilbo in lord of the rings as his role was not as intense as it will be in the hobbit. Whether he can do a acting younger version of himself as well who knows. I hope in many ways they have Ian Holm do it but I would understand if they didn't use him. As long as they find someone that looks similar and has a lot of the same characteristics. Obviously the two biggest questions could be regarding these two films is in the hobbit who will be Bilbo and in the 2nd what will the story, personally I love that it will happen as I love middle earth and I'd watch Gandalf eat and apple for 2 hours talking to a dwarve about horses but I'm so curious as everyone is about will it have an ending like the hobbit does & lord of the rings does. Will they make up a story or will it be loosely based some small note that Tolkien made about something happening around middle earth. At first I thought when i heard there was going to be to films the hobbit was going to be split. I thought the 1st thing would pan off and follow Gandalf and the council to fight Sauron in Dol Guldur, then the second would follow on will the rest of the hobbit. Anyway all in all I'm excited but I was just really eager to know how this Bilbo thing will go down!

mordor89
Bree

Apr 26 2008, 1:24pm

Post #2 of 37 (409 views)
Shortcut
Ian HOlm IS bilbo now [In reply to] Can't Post

end of discussion

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 26 2008, 1:31pm

Post #3 of 37 (316 views)
Shortcut
Welcome :D [In reply to] Can't Post

your guess is as good as anyones as to who's gonna get the nod, I'm, sure GdT won't let us down. Can't wait to see SmileSmileSmile

-------------------------
There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay
-------------------------

calisuri
PTB

Apr 26 2008, 2:51pm

Post #4 of 37 (376 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping for Martin Freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

Ever since it was brought up on this board, I was thinking Martin Freeman would make a great Bilbo

The Mysterious Calisuri

Sunnydale_Strider

Apr 26 2008, 4:06pm

Post #5 of 37 (322 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be hard to get used to. I always associate him with Tim from the office. Everything he's been in like hitchhikers guide, I think it's Tim. He does have hobbit qualities though!

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2008, 4:31pm

Post #6 of 37 (338 views)
Shortcut
Martin Freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

As my footer shows, my vote goes to him. Although it looks like I do need to fix the date on it. Wink

Elven
Valinor

Apr 26 2008, 4:43pm

Post #7 of 37 (332 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm .. [In reply to] Can't Post

IS Bilbo. I still haven't heard that he was being replaced.
Its like saying who do you think should play Gandalf .. Smile

Bilbo: "I hear you got a call from Guillermo ...so, you'e going there and back again?".
Gandalf: "Yes .... And you?"

Bilbo: "Im not telling!!"

Laugh

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

(This post was edited by Elven on Apr 26 2008, 4:44pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 26 2008, 5:00pm

Post #8 of 37 (383 views)
Shortcut
ah, but [In reply to] Can't Post

there's never an end to any discussion on TORN!

"The person who strives for security will never be free. The person who believes that she's found security will never reach paradise."
- Tom Robbins

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 26 2008, 5:18pm

Post #9 of 37 (314 views)
Shortcut
not quite [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Ian Holm's Bilbo was perfect in the LOTR movies. But he was the right age for the role of Bilbo 60 years on from the events of "The Hobbit." He's not the right age for Bilbo at 50.

Hobbits live longer & mature later than men, so the 70-year-old Ian Holm was a good choice for a 100+ year-old hobbit - just as 20-year-old Elijah Wood was a good choice to play 50-year-old Frodo. To be consistent, they need to cast a young man as Bilbo when he's 50, not someone who is now pushing 80. (Sir Ian himself looks a lot older in the recent pics I've seen.) They did manage to age Bilbo backwards for the one flashback scene in FOTR, but it was a pretty dark and brief scene. I don't think makeup can do all of the job.

Whereas Gandalf is immortal and ageless, and with the beard & all it won't make any difference that the other Sir Ian is older now too. (Or Christopher Lee.)

"The person who strives for security will never be free. The person who believes that she's found security will never reach paradise."
- Tom Robbins

(This post was edited by Annael on Apr 26 2008, 5:23pm)

Elven
Valinor

Apr 26 2008, 6:19pm

Post #10 of 37 (302 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf - it's good to see you ... [In reply to] Can't Post

My dear Bilbo you haven't changed a bit! Wink

He looks fantastic here ... at Bag End, and he hadn't changed since his journey to the Lonely Mountain ... maybe gained a few pounds Wink

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

(This post was edited by Elven on Apr 26 2008, 6:20pm)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2008, 7:05pm

Post #11 of 37 (349 views)
Shortcut
...until it falls off Page 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Once it disappears, you can argue all you like and it is unlikely anyone will ever answer you! Of course, you can always start the discussion all over again.Evil

Where's Frodo?

Merenwen
The Shire

Apr 26 2008, 8:37pm

Post #12 of 37 (285 views)
Shortcut
Are you quite sure? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always surprised that so many people in TORN want Sir Ian Holm to play Bilbo in the Hobbit. I'm sure he could be made to look slightly (or a lot) younger for film. However, the Bilbo in the Hobbit has to run, jump and climb trees. He fights spiders and rides barrels. Sure, there are stuntmen, but using them too much would mean there coudn't be any close ups.

I think James McAvoy looks very hobbity and he's charismatic, though he might be a bit too young.

Annael
Half-elven

Apr 26 2008, 9:21pm

Post #13 of 37 (279 views)
Shortcut
not the mention the risk [In reply to] Can't Post

of having to replace him. He's the same age as Richard Harris, the first Dumbledore, and we know what happened there.

- Tom Robbins

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2008, 9:28pm

Post #14 of 37 (272 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf had seen Bilbo recently [In reply to] Can't Post

when he says "you haven't changed a bit". There was definitely not a lapse of 60 years.

I don't want Sir Ian Holm as Bilbo. I want Bilbo as he was in the book - an adult in his prime of life.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Apr 26 2008, 10:08pm

Post #15 of 37 (293 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm or Martin Freeman . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Ian Holm is Bilbo, he always will be, and he would be perfect. He's basically the old and wise Bilbo. However, I can picture Martin Freeman as the young, happy-go-lucky Bilbo. The one who had barely any knowledge of the outside world, and never had any troubles. It's mixed for me.

Ash nazg durbatulūk, Ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

I'm hosting THE URUK-HAI in The Reading Room! Swing by and join in!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 26 2008, 10:17pm

Post #16 of 37 (258 views)
Shortcut
I want both. [In reply to] Can't Post

As I have mentioned a time or two before.... Wink

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 26 2008, 10:24pm

Post #17 of 37 (292 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson! [In reply to] Can't Post

He did an AWESOME Bilbo in the eedvd extras. I think he'd be ... delightful :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2008, 1:10am

Post #18 of 37 (242 views)
Shortcut
Oh! I love it!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2008, 1:19am

Post #19 of 37 (240 views)
Shortcut
Howdy and Welcome, Sunnydale_Strider :D [In reply to] Can't Post

This is going to be so much fun as we learn about the cast and hopefully get tidbits of info on the films. I'm glad you've made your way here in time to enjoy it :D

sample sample

Kapoof
The Shire

Apr 27 2008, 2:49am

Post #20 of 37 (235 views)
Shortcut
Guess [In reply to] Can't Post

If i had to guess, i would say that they'll consider Ian Holm for Bilbo first and foremost. If Ian feels he can do it. If he wants to do it. If he can still look the part. He'll be Bilbo.
If he's not up to it, then i'm sure they'll find an actor that matches well. I do hope they stay true to the LotR movies though.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 27 2008, 5:25am

Post #21 of 37 (234 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

He certainly did, only, he's looking a bit too slim and trim these days. Methinks he needs a few more second breakfasts.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 27 2008, 6:15am

Post #22 of 37 (238 views)
Shortcut
And elevenses and ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a few other mealtimes Wink

And worse, he would have to shave his beard off Frown

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 27 2008, 2:20pm

Post #23 of 37 (209 views)
Shortcut
So true, but [In reply to] Can't Post

the other candidates we've discussed would have to start downing some banana splits and Shepherd's pie to cast the right shadow as well ;)

sample sample

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 27 2008, 6:30pm

Post #24 of 37 (201 views)
Shortcut
If we could work out how [In reply to] Can't Post

then I'd gladly donate a few of my own kilos for whoever is playing Bilbo!

Didn't Dom wear a suit under his costume, because he was so thin? That may help a bit. On the other hand, Sean had to gain quite a bit of weight for Sam, poor guy.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Thorin Firehelm

Apr 27 2008, 8:20pm

Post #25 of 37 (197 views)
Shortcut
Ian Holm surely? [In reply to] Can't Post

Didnt Del Toro say that it was his intention that they wouldn't lose any of the key elements? Surely that includes Bilbo too? I don;t see why Ian shouldn;t reprise his role. He doesn't look that much older than when he did LOTR.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.