The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
** The House of Eorl ** 2. Rohan
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 8 2016, 9:06pm

Post #51 of 78 (1588 views)
Shortcut
Well, once someone calls for lawyers, I know it's time to rest my case. // [In reply to] Can't Post

InTheChair
Rohan

Dec 8 2016, 9:22pm

Post #52 of 78 (1590 views)
Shortcut
Ninja horse! [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman had no apparent difficulty imprisoning Gandalf atop Orthanc.

Gandalf did come alone, not counting his horse perhaps who would in any case not be trained to break him out.

I figured he reasoned they wouldn't unlock the doors of Isengard for him,

The gate closed silently behind me, and suddenly I was afraid, though I knew no reason for it.

He wanted out though by his own record, and I imagine the top of Orthanc could be a cold drafty place,

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Dec 8 2016, 9:26pm)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 8 2016, 9:49pm

Post #53 of 78 (1585 views)
Shortcut
I went on a ninja course once... [In reply to] Can't Post

The instructor didn't show. I was just about to leave when it hit me....Wink

~~~~~~
The Sixth read-through of LOTR continues until Christmas. All chapters now have volunteer leaders. Schedule here; http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=916172#916172

A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 8 2016, 10:04pm

Post #54 of 78 (1584 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf’s ‘resistance’ to imprisonment [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How positive are we that the fact that Saruman imprisoned Gandalf, means that Gandalf could not have effectively resisted?

‘…It was by the devices of Saruman that we drove him from Dol Guldur. It might be that he had found some weapons that would drive back the Nine.’ . . .
‘I stayed the night in Bree, and decided that I had no time to return to the Shire. Never did I make a greater mistake!

[Saruman] ‘”Until you reveal to me where the One may be found. I may find means to persuade you.’” … ‘”That may not prove to be one of the lighter matters,’” said I. He laughed at me, for my words were empty, and he knew it.’
-The Council of Elrond

This (and the letter for Frodo left at Bree) indicates to me that Gandalf was in a hurry. Would he allow himself to be imprisoned if he had any chance of defeating Saruman? So, yes, although no physical contest is mentioned in the corpus (bag the film) I personally am quite sure that Gandalf the Grey had no chance against Saruman and he knew it.

In Reply To
All we see about Gandalf is that he is reluctant to contest power with power (both by mandate as well as by nature).

… they came out of the Far West and were messengers sent to contest the power of Sauron, and to unite all those who had the will to resist him; but they were forbidden to match his power with power…
-Appendix B, The Third Age

I’m not sure if this ‘matching power with power’ applies only to Sauron, but it appears THIS is the mandate.
But then we must consider Amon Sul and the Balrog (as I continue to contradict myself . . . with little glee Crazy).

Edit: Add in what Squire said up yonder if you need more convincing.
*getting lost here*

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

(This post was edited by Bracegirdle on Dec 8 2016, 10:14pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 8 2016, 10:19pm

Post #55 of 78 (1575 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf does seem helpless at Isengard [In reply to] Can't Post

and doesn't seem to put up a fight, or admit to losing one if he did.

But I was thinking the same things that you cited: he didn't go out looking for fights, but he would defend himself agaisnt the Nazgul at Weathertop and the Balrog in Moria.

I think Gandalf's captivity is plot-driven rather than driven by Middle-earth logic. Tolkien needed to keep him out of the picture while Frodo got from the Shire to Rivendell without him, allowing Trotter/Strider to stride into the story. If we're discussing what was possible within Middle-earth's lore, Gandalf showed what kinds of fights he could put up. Yet presumably Saruman could have equaled him closely enough, and of course Gandalf died in Moria, so a dead Wizard isn't much use,and he knew that.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 8 2016, 10:26pm

Post #56 of 78 (1580 views)
Shortcut
But Saruman carries out his mission so well - not that he means to [In reply to] Can't Post

His imprisonment of Gandalf forces the hobbits to set off without a guide, and to make the beginners mistake of getting captured by a wight. That adventure acquires them a handy-anti Nazgűl weapon, without which the Battle of the Pelenor fields might not have been won.

Gandalf leads the Fellowship into Moria in preference to taking the Ring near Isengard, a decision that leads directly to Gandalf's resurrection as The White.

Saruman's attempt to snatch the Ringbearer not only forces Frodo and Sam to part from the Fellowship but then leads to a whole series of events that allow the War of the Ring to be won.

Saruman is the inadvertent hero of the Tale!

Maybe the Lady Varda knew just what she was doing...

~~~~~~
The Sixth read-through of LOTR continues until Christmas. All chapters now have volunteer leaders. Schedule here; http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=916172#916172

A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 8 2016, 10:34pm

Post #57 of 78 (1577 views)
Shortcut
Yes, HUGE changes and advances in convenience [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sure, the gadgets have changed over the years, but I wonder if any generation had as radical a change in living environments as those who experienced all the changes from (very roughly) 1900 to 2000.

Yet I worry (hopefully needlessly) about our information age (or mis-information age), as we seem to slowly yet insidiously to become less and less sociable as everyone is too busy looking at the palm of their hand to look up with a pleasant face-to-face “Howdy”. But ‘sociable’ is as ‘sociable’ does, Forrest Gump might say.
Of course this comes from an old duffer who has a cell phone but only uses it to make or receive phone calls. (I’ve never sent a text msg. and if I want internet I use my home computer.) *here I am*

Gandalf to Denethor

FarFromHome
Valinor

Dec 8 2016, 10:35pm

Post #58 of 78 (1574 views)
Shortcut
Or as Gandalf says to Frodo: [In reply to] Can't Post

“I was delayed, and that nearly proved our ruin. And yet I am not sure: it may have been better so.”

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 8 2016, 10:43pm

Post #59 of 78 (1576 views)
Shortcut
A contrast to Third-age Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Eorl or even Isildur would find the people, places and societies of Frodo's lifetime pretty much unchanged, I think.

~~~~~~

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 8 2016, 10:58pm

Post #60 of 78 (1569 views)
Shortcut
And if Merry and Pippin hadn’t been captured by the orcs [In reply to] Can't Post

There would be no Ents or Huorns at Helm’s Deep. The battle would be lost. Aragorn would be killed. No muster of Rohan, no “Forth Eorlingas!”, no Dead Men of Dunharrow, no Corsairs of Umbar, no Army of the West, no Muster to the Isenmouthe. Gorgoroth would be filled with orcs. Frodo captured, Ring captured. All is lost. All is lost for the one-time Free Peoples. All is lost!

Merry and Pippin are the true heroes, as they gave haste to the Ents!
Or are the Ents and Huorns the true inadvertent heroes? I just don’t know! Mad Crazy

Gandalf to Denethor

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 9 2016, 7:19am

Post #61 of 78 (1501 views)
Shortcut
We could have fun with a (not entirely serious) debate "the true hero is..." [In reply to] Can't Post

I can conclusively prove that the real hero is Bill the Pony Smile

~~~~~~

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Dec 9 2016, 7:32am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 9 2016, 4:09pm

Post #62 of 78 (1425 views)
Shortcut
*Reading Room investigators have discovered Grima wrote this post.* [In reply to] Can't Post

Since pro-Saruman propaganda isn't technically illegal and is protected as free speech, we won't try to delete it, even though we all know that pro-Saruman agents will wind up crushed by talking trees or killed by little people in some uncouth land named Shire.

InTheChair
Rohan

Dec 9 2016, 6:24pm

Post #63 of 78 (1412 views)
Shortcut
I can conclusively prove that the real hero is Bill the Pony [In reply to] Can't Post

The queer fox. Take a challenge.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 9 2016, 8:18pm

Post #64 of 78 (1401 views)
Shortcut
Heroic faggots of wood. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

(Er, this is (not ENTIRELY serious, entirely Angelic)

The Fellowship would have frozen to death on Caradhras if not for the faggots of wood each carried on the advice of Boromir, and The Ring would likely be lost for another couple thousand years – and the whole tale takes a frosty twist.

Thus the faggots of wood are the true heroes. (Can a faggot of wood be a hero?)

Or would it be Boromir?
Certainly not Gandalf, as he said, “I cannot burn snow.” Well, gee-‘wiz’! Shocked

Or, as noWiz says I can conclusively prove that the real hero is Bill the Pony Smile .
Which could also be true as Bill most likely carried more faggots than anyone else.

*Sooo confused Crazy Crazy*

Gandalf to Denethor

hanne
Lorien

Dec 9 2016, 8:54pm

Post #65 of 78 (1387 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

If the fox had made an effort to find out more about it by asking a handy passing spooky dude on a black horse, Frodo would have been nobbled one day out from Hobbiton and all Middle Earth doomed for aye.

The real hero is the incurious fox! QED

enanito
Rohan

Dec 9 2016, 9:11pm

Post #66 of 78 (1383 views)
Shortcut
The fox, emissary of the Dark Lord [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought it suspicious that the Ringwraiths happened to find the hobbits so quickly after leaving Bag End. These Ringwraiths weren't that good in the daylight, and Frodo wasn't wearing the Ring so they couldn't sense its power that way. And these stealthy hobbits were taking well-known paths in their homeland, while the Black Riders were tremendously out of their comfort zone.

Yet just a day after encountering the fox, the hobbits are found and the chase begins! The Nazgul would probably still be sniffing around the Shire trying to locate 'Baggins' -- well after Gandalf escapes from Isengard, rounds up Strider, and together they find the Hobbits snoozing in Crickhollow after eating second breakfast. If it wasn't for the info the Ringwraiths most certainly obtained from that traitor fox Shocked

Hero Fox indeed! More like agent of evil...

hanne
Lorien

Dec 9 2016, 9:16pm

Post #67 of 78 (1384 views)
Shortcut
Snapshots [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if favourite is the right word, since many of them are very sad, but here are two that seem to embody that quintessentially Tolkienish skill of hinting at whole realms and vistas underlying the story.

Brego - he dies of grief, how terrible.

Thengel - it's sad that his family had to cope with some xenophobia. I would like to know why he didn't want to be king. And then there's the underage marriage, why wouldn't he wait - I can't tell if the Rohirrim would have found that as creepy as a modern reader (and Tolkien, who seems disapproving). There seems to be a whole story in that brief entry.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 9 2016, 11:15pm

Post #68 of 78 (1366 views)
Shortcut
But surely the true hero is... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we may just have discovered a new game. Smile

~~~~~~

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 10 2016, 2:05am

Post #69 of 78 (1356 views)
Shortcut
Are you a Simpsons fan, BG? [In reply to] Can't Post

Google "inanimate carbon rod."

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 10 2016, 3:48am

Post #70 of 78 (1347 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe it’s ‘game over’? (Hope not.) [In reply to] Can't Post

As I think I have proven to a fair degree of reliability that YOUR postulate that Bill the Pony was the real hero of the quest. Wink

Gandalf to Denethor

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 10 2016, 4:00am

Post #71 of 78 (1348 views)
Shortcut
“In Rod We Trust!” [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess inanimate objects CAN be heroes . . . Rods, Faggots of wood and ??
Or maybe the log they hid under in 'Three’s Company'… (Work it out!)

Gandalf to Denethor

hanne
Lorien

Dec 10 2016, 3:57pm

Post #72 of 78 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Hee hee! [In reply to] Can't Post

After we play noWizardme's "real hero" game we can play "real villain" - but you might just have won!

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2016, 8:48am

Post #73 of 78 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Did the Rohirrim and the Dunlendings have to be enemies? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dunlendings seemed to be of the same stock as the men of Bree or even of the wild-men in Gondor. The men of Rohan did get on with these people. They where possibly even related vaguely and there must have been some inter-breeding. I would have thought that over the centuries some kind of reconcilation should have been possible and then maybe they would have been allies rather than enemies in the War of the Ring. Not that a few hundred Dunlendings would have made much difference I suppose.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2016, 8:51am

Post #74 of 78 (1227 views)
Shortcut
It's possibly not the type of thing an English monarch would do [In reply to] Can't Post

At the height of their powers anyway, but Scottish royal history is full of Kings falling out and physically fighting their nobility. Still, to the subject in hand, I can't help but think that Gandalf, had he been there, would have advised something different!

No One in Particular
Lorien

Dec 12 2016, 2:36am

Post #75 of 78 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Different times, different rules. [In reply to] Can't Post

Rohan was not Gondor; JRRT was very careful to showcase the difference between Numenoreans and other Men of the time. In Gondor Freca would likely have faced more formal charges, ranging from attempting to force an unwanted marriage all the way to possible treason; the Rohirrim were less High, for want of a better word. Kings of the Mark, and likely other Middle-earth kingdoms, ruled by show of strength. Freca challenged Helm's authority, albeit in a passive-aggressive fashion, and was called out for it in a more rudimentary way than the Lords of Gondor would have effected.

While you live, shine
Have no grief at all
Life exists only for a short while
And time demands an end.
Seikilos Epitaph

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.