Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A question for Kiwis: why did John Key resign?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 8 2016, 7:59am

Post #1 of 12 (416 views)
Shortcut
A question for Kiwis: why did John Key resign? Can't Post

I'm assuming the New Zealand press is giving more details than what I can find in US media articles, which only say that Key resigned by surprise, then they abruptly shift to listing his accomplishments and popularity, and speculating on his successor. It seems odd to me that 1) a national leader resigns without an obvious reason, and 2) the media shows no speculation about the why behind it. Is it a cultural thing--is it really a personal reason, and people respect privacy? (In the US, when politicians resign "to spend more time with family," that's usually a euphemism and not taken at face value. And usually it's amid scandal.) If it is personal and everyone accepts that, then I think that's really cool about NZ. But I also wonder if American reporters are just being lazy and not even trying to find out.

Anyway, I hope it's not a sensitive topic, because who wants another political controversy, just wondered if maybe it's common knowledge in NZ that isn't getting reported in the US, because American media mainly views NZ as the home of the LOTR/Hobbit movies and occasional earthquake, and not much else.

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 8 2016, 9:33am

Post #2 of 12 (389 views)
Shortcut
In his words: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=11760708

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/...e?auto=5236218819001

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/...-quit-prime-minister Video from TV, so I don't know if you can view it outside NZ.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 8 2016, 1:10pm

Post #3 of 12 (365 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for those links. [In reply to] Can't Post

In this era of rampant fake news articles, I had considered googling NZ newspapers, but I wouldn't be able to tell the real ones from the fake ones. (I guess I'd be pretty certain a site was fake if it said he was kidnapped by Martians or quit to become the King of Jupiter, but aside from that, I'm never too sure.)

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 8 2016, 5:10pm

Post #4 of 12 (350 views)
Shortcut
If you want reliable and accurate news from NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

my suggestion would be RNZ. Definitely stay away from 'Stuff'. The NZ Herald isn't much better.
Radio NZ is our official public broadcaster. They have actual journalists and even check their facts!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 8 2016, 6:31pm

Post #5 of 12 (353 views)
Shortcut
I find it darkly humorous [In reply to] Can't Post

that a politician can't be trusted to tell the truth, even when it's about why they're resigning.

Ultimately, only John Key knows. He's said he never wanted to be a career politician (something he said previously during his time as Prime Minister), and that now is the right time to go. Why he thinks that - who knows? Maybe the cigar is just a cigar.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 8 2016, 7:14pm

Post #6 of 12 (342 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if it has something to do with avoiding having to deal with a certain world leader over the next four years?

That I can understand, especially if he got one of those weird, middle-of-the-night personal phone calls.

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 8 2016, 8:13pm

Post #7 of 12 (316 views)
Shortcut
"Titillating News Story Titles in Print News/Online at Epidemic Highs." [In reply to] Can't Post

A front page story might carry a catchy line like,
"PM abducted by Martians to become the King of Jupiter".
When the reader clicks on the story, it continues, "So goes the plot of the latest film by so-and-so". I exaggerate, but seriously, both Stuff and the Herald are guilty, and I think the Herald has gotten worse in the past year. And just out and out twisting what actually happened. Lots of reading between the lines required. Has anyone else noticed that?

Starling is right: RadioNZ is the most reliable. My personal favourite is RNZ journalist Kathryn Ryan. If you can listen to any of her interviews, you can depend on getting intelligent, perceptive, brave reporting on stories of interest to New Zealand. (Yeah, I'm a bit of a fangirl here. Smile)
http://www.radionz.co.nz/...rogrammes/ninetonoon
Here's her interview with Key post-resignation.
http://www.radionz.co.nz/...o/201826603/john-key

Good luck figuring anything out - anywhere!

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 8 2016, 8:15pm

Post #8 of 12 (320 views)
Shortcut
I'm so glad somebody else said it first, DS. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I've been telling people here. Seriously. I will say no more.Unimpressed

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 8 2016, 8:27pm

Post #9 of 12 (304 views)
Shortcut
NZ Herald has become very disappointing. [In reply to] Can't Post

It used to carry the gravitas (earned or otherwise) of being *the* New Zealand newspaper (with a heavy Auckland bias) but now it's click-baity from hell to breakfast.

Yes, newspapers need to up their revenue through their websites. Yes, clickbait stories increase their page views. But those stories lessen the reputation of the entire media outlet to the point that even their straight-news stories are viewed as rubbish.

It's a worry that radio is the go-to for proper news, given how chronically underfunded and understaffed it is. NZ's news industry is emaciated and ill, kept going by sheer pluck and idealism. It's not a strong foundation for long-term survival.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 8 2016, 8:29pm

Post #10 of 12 (316 views)
Shortcut
One Twitter response that I loved: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Who hasn't got to the first week of December and though, '(Fluff) it, I'm outta here'?"

Tongue

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 9 2016, 2:43pm

Post #11 of 12 (208 views)
Shortcut
ROFL over and over. How true that is for many of us! // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Mar 14 2017, 4:42pm

Post #12 of 12 (101 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps the smartest decision he's ever made... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know he was pro-TPP and now that Trump has killed the problematic trade agreement, of course Key will be distraught over that. That all said though, he was a such a golden boy for the media and all his photo-ops especially with the All Blacks made me sick! And to have the AB's at the Beehive before the Rugby World Cup was absolutely ridiculous. As for Richie McCaw and his offer of knighthood, I still hope he turns it down. He'd be more of a gentleman if he declines.

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.