Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Faramir, Movie Version

leisulin

Nov 3 2016, 7:28pm

Post #1 of 24 (3750 views)
Shortcut
Faramir, Movie Version Can't Post

The biggest problem I have with things they changed from the way they were in the book is how they portrayed Faramir. In the book he's a lively, strong, noble, good-natured, courageous man who is humble and realistic enough to know the Ring is too strong and dangerous for him to mess with, and he doesn't and wouldn't dream of trying to take it by force from Frodo. The movie version of Faramir is a limp sad-sack devoid of mirth and personality, and nobility, who proves by his actions that he's not the man that Faramir-in-the-book is.
That's my biggest beef with the movies, having read the books numerous times before the movies ever came on the scene.
Frown

(This post was edited by leisulin on Nov 3 2016, 7:32pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 4 2016, 6:58am

Post #2 of 24 (3664 views)
Shortcut
A lot of people were disppointed with that. [In reply to] Can't Post

There were a lot of cries of character assassination among BookFaramir's fans when the movie came out.

The writers gave their reason in the commentaries; they were afraid that after all the build-up they'd given the Ring, showing how dangerous and alluring it was, that having a character quickly and outright reject the temptation would make it seem no big deal.

Personally, I disagree and would have loved to have seen Faramir get his shining moment from the books as well.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 4 2016, 1:39pm

Post #3 of 24 (3637 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm on the fence about this one. Faramir was one of my favourite characters in the book and I'd love him to have had the chance to be who he is on film. After all, they didn't seem to have a problem showing Aragorn reject the Ring.

But even though the film Faramir isn't 'my' Faramir when it comes to the Ring - or at least, it takes him longer to reach the wisdom book Faramir had in his own nature - I can't dislike the character they developed for the film. So I just have two different Faramirs now and like them both, each in his own context.

The one change I don't forgive - which matters more to me than how long it takes him to reject the Ring - is the pointless torturing of Gollum by his men, which he condones. That remains one of my least favourite films in all six films (that, and Aragorn's behading of the Mouth of Sauron).

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 5 2016, 1:55pm

Post #4 of 24 (3608 views)
Shortcut
Oh I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

The one change I don't forgive - which matters more to me than how long it takes him to reject the Ring - is the pointless torturing of Gollum by his men, which he condones. That remains one of my least favourite films in all six films (that, and Aragorn's behading of the Mouth of Sauron).

I hate that! That is one place were they absolutely pointlessly deviated from the spirit of Tolkien's books. Another one is when Gandalf hits Denethor with his staff after he orders the soldiers to abandon their posts.

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Nov 10 2016, 4:35am

Post #5 of 24 (3554 views)
Shortcut
i 100% agree [In reply to] Can't Post

basically every time movie-Faramir comes on screen i want to violently strangle someone. Book-Faramir is one of my favourite charactersFrown

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 10 2016, 1:10pm

Post #6 of 24 (3538 views)
Shortcut
Movie-Faramir is much less of a prize for Eowyn, isn't he? [In reply to] Can't Post

In the books, you feel like she won the lottery getting to marry that guy. In the movie, the romance (which gets little screen time anyway) is nothing to get excited about.

Gianna
Rohan

Nov 10 2016, 3:27pm

Post #7 of 24 (3527 views)
Shortcut
That reason that the writers gave [In reply to] Can't Post

ruffles my feathers every time. A huge part of Faramir's character was to show that not all humans are completely fallen and corrupt. That some are still capable of nobility.

I don't think Faramir easily rejected the Ring's temptation even in the book. To me it seemed like he struggled hard with the opportunity to show his father he was as faithful as Boromir, but he had the moral strength to make the right decision. "Then my life is forfeit", while somewhat redeeming, isn't quite the shining moment he gets in the book. Unsure

"The men of the East may search the scrolls,
For sure fates and fame,
But the men that drink the blood of God
Go singing to their shame."

-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse, Book I

------
My fantasy novels

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2016, 6:17pm

Post #8 of 24 (3517 views)
Shortcut
I figure we do end up with the Faramir of the book; [In reply to] Can't Post

we just get to see some of his path to enlightenment and being able to reject the Ring.

Not that his "I'm taking the Ring to Gondor" didn't make me gasp at the time.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Yngwulff
Gondor

Nov 13 2016, 11:06pm

Post #9 of 24 (3451 views)
Shortcut
Pip [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the EE version better than the studio to be sure.
His little pep talk to Pippin before taking his oath and the Eowyn romance part in the Houses of the healing allows some closure.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

moreorless
Gondor

Nov 27 2016, 10:25am

Post #10 of 24 (2967 views)
Shortcut
Honestly I think its one of the most interestign aspects of Jacksons films... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm on the fence about this one. Faramir was one of my favourite characters in the book and I'd love him to have had the chance to be who he is on film. After all, they didn't seem to have a problem showing Aragorn reject the Ring.

But even though the film Faramir isn't 'my' Faramir when it comes to the Ring - or at least, it takes him longer to reach the wisdom book Faramir had in his own nature - I can't dislike the character they developed for the film. So I just have two different Faramirs now and like them both, each in his own context.

Obviously as you say he's not the book Faramir but personally I like my adaptations to bring something new to the table as long as its in the general spirit of the original work. In this respect I felt that the changes to Faramir were one of the most interesting parts of Jacksons films and in general I felt they were very successful indeed on their own terms.

As far as that scene with Gollum goes I think its effective in that as with Sam's "sneaking" comment at the pass in the books its a genuine moral failure from the good guys that causes Smeagol's chance at redemption to be snatched away.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 27 2016, 10:54am

Post #11 of 24 (2963 views)
Shortcut
Your last comment.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't thought of it that way but yes, it's an interesting way of looking at it - I think it might grow on me!

I do agree with your general point that it's often the new things that are interesting. I felt that particularly with scenes like Theodred's death and funeral; it happened offstage in the book. Suddenly we were seeing it happen and asking what repercussions it might have. I feel rather the same way about the film version of Aragorn. I like the fact that they had obviously thought about his position - what it might be like for a man to live inside the storyline Tolkien wrote for him.

that I have never seen:

moreorless
Gondor

Nov 27 2016, 1:58pm

Post #12 of 24 (2952 views)
Shortcut
The biggest change to Jacksons adaptation... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hadn't thought of it that way but yes, it's an interesting way of looking at it - I think it might grow on me!

I do agree with your general point that it's often the new things that are interesting. I felt that particularly with scenes like Theodred's death and funeral; it happened offstage in the book. Suddenly we were seeing it happen and asking what repercussions it might have. I feel rather the same way about the film version of Aragorn. I like the fact that they had obviously thought about his position - what it might be like for a man to live inside the storyline Tolkien wrote for him.

Really I would say the key change to Jacksons adaptation was that there was much less of a divide between the Hobbits and the other "high fantasy" characters. I think that shift was somewhat inevitable as Tolkien achieves much of the divide though literally means(such as giving us a direct view into only the Hobbits thoughts/feelings) but the end result is Jackson looks to humanise the wider cast such as Aragorn, Boromir, Théoden and Faramir giving them more personal arcs.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Nov 29 2016, 5:29am

Post #13 of 24 (2918 views)
Shortcut
Not sure I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I was taken aback by the changes to Faramir's character but they didn't disappoint me nearly as much as making Aragorn so tentative about being Isildur's Heir. The extended edition made the changes a bit more palatable but I've since found the writer's excuses for character changes to be rather weak. I love the dedication the production crew and cast had to "getting it right" but it felt to me at sporadic times like the writers wanted to tell their own story instead of Tolkien's. They were MUCH worse with this in "The Hobbit" trilogy, possibly because they had less time to hammer at the script?

It felt to me like LOTR was more of a labor of love but TH was more "oh, alright, we'll do it so we can extend our version of the story of the War of the Ring."

In any event, I think David Wenham did a fabulous job with the script and direction he was given.

RaenMaethor

Dec 7 2016, 5:17am

Post #14 of 24 (2845 views)
Shortcut
I both agree and disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Movies tend to have a bigger emphasis on character arcs in my opinion, it was up to the filmmakers to add conflict where they felt it was appropriate to the story the movies were telling. Flaws they may be, no movie is perfect.

However, not many people think about it but characters don't necessarily need arcs, especially with films like this having so many characters.

To me Faramir didn't really need any more conflict past his relationship with his father which was much more present in the Return of the King, which in turn made me feel like Faramir had more character in that particular movie.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 7 2016, 5:55pm

Post #15 of 24 (2810 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORN, RaenMaethor. [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you could join in the discussions. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 7 2016, 6:06pm

Post #16 of 24 (2817 views)
Shortcut
Dunno [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ve always been puzzled by the idealization of book Faramir. Faramir is a guerilla leader. That’s not an especially nice thing to be. For example, if you want to know how Faramir treats his prisoners, ask any of his Haradrim captives. If you can’t find any Haradrim captives to ask, then you know how he treats them. (I won’t even mention how guerrillas deal with their own badly wounded comrades on the battlefield.)

Frankly I’m more aghast at book-Faramir’s classic psychological torture of Gollum (and Frodo), than by movie-Faramir’s physical torture of Gollum. Indeed, one imagines physical torture is the only practical way book-Faramir can interrogate Orc prisoners, who as a whole doubtlessly aren’t very responsive to more gentle persuasions. Again, if you want to know how book-Faramir treats his Orc prisoners, just ask one. If you can’t find any to ask, well, Henneth Annun’s location is very diligently and ruthlessly kept a secret from the Enemy, and dead Men, Haradrim, and Orcs tell no tales.

As for the whole Ring Thing, movie-Faramir never does claim the Ring. He does, like movie-Aragorn on Amon Hen, give it a look of awe as any Loremaster would when confronted by a legendary long lost artifact. But like Aragorn he doesn’t claim it. He, like Aragorn, sends it away, in his case to Minas Tirith. Why? Because he loves his brother, and by sending the Ring to Denethor he is completing the "mighty gift" mission... quest... thing that his dear brother was sent on and died for. Now *that’s* nobility! However, once Sam finally gets around to telling him that lust for the Ring is exactly what killed his beloved brother, Faramir lets the hobbits, Gollum, and the Ring go like hot potatoes. (After of course dealing with the Nazgul situation, which would understandably take precedence in any scheme of schooling.)

Personally I really like movie-Faramir, but I realize others’ mileage may vary, and that's okay.

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Dec 7 2016, 6:07pm)

RaenMaethor

Dec 7 2016, 6:57pm

Post #17 of 24 (2802 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to be here.

RaenMaethor

Dec 7 2016, 7:06pm

Post #18 of 24 (2804 views)
Shortcut
Good points [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats actually a good argument for movie Faramir, I do think his motivations are more clear in the extended edition of the Two Towers where you see his conflict trying to please his father in a flashback scene. Otherwise his motivations aren't fleshed out past the fact that he wants more power to Gondor, maybe out of a feeling to aid his country. We don't really see his full motivations until Return of the King.
Additionally, to me he doesn't really come off as a nice guy until towards the end of the Two Towers.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Dec 7 2016, 7:10pm

Post #19 of 24 (2800 views)
Shortcut
I do too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also really like the movie Faramir. But then again, I had watched the Two Towers movie when I was only still only in book three of the parts of LOTR.

I have to admit I was a little surprised when I read the book and realized how different Faramir was from the movie. Wink

I am ok with the change in the film, but I realize that that was a huge change in the story for the book readers, and I can understand how frustrating that is too.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 7 2016, 7:50pm

Post #20 of 24 (2796 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Additionally, to me he doesn't really come off as a nice guy until towards the end of the Two Towers.

Jackson and Co. tried to do that with Strider, making it seem like he's in with the Black Riders at first.

And welcome to TORn!

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 7 2016, 10:45pm

Post #21 of 24 (2778 views)
Shortcut
That's an interesting way of looking at it, Darkstone... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never thought of it like that before and you make a good point.

that I have never seen:

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 7 2016, 10:59pm

Post #22 of 24 (2778 views)
Shortcut
Hello, and welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I found this comment interesting....

At first I thought I didn't agree, because to me he does. That's why I always say that the torturing of Gollum was one of my least favourite scenes across all six films, because it feels so wrong for Faramir. Reading your post, and Darkstone's, I'm wondering if Faramir seems nice to me from his first entry because he's Faramir, and one of my favourite characters from the book. Thinking about his first entry in the film he is quite stiff and formal - and, of course, takes the hobbits prisoner which doesn't help. But then, in the book too he comes in as an unknown quantity - Frodo and Sam are very wary of him and the revelation that he's Boromir's brother is more warning than reassuring.

I like the way they give him the lines about the motivation of the dead soldier in the film. It hints at his thoughtful side which we don't really see until later.

that I have never seen:

FarFromHome
Valinor

Dec 8 2016, 10:15am

Post #23 of 24 (2746 views)
Shortcut
Parallels [In reply to] Can't Post

[Faramir], like Aragorn, sends [the Ring] away, in his case to Minas Tirith. Why? Because he loves his brother, and by sending the Ring to Denethor he is completing the "mighty gift" mission... quest... thing that his dear brother was sent on and died for. Now *that’s* nobility!

I really like your thinking Darkstone. Like you, I've never felt that Faramir was behaving as badly in the movie as some fans believe, because as you say, he doesn't claim the Ring for himself, but sends it away. But I had mostly thought he was trying to please his father, without considering that what he was doing was trying to finish the task that (as he understood it) his beloved brother had died trying to achieve.

Now I see it your way, I'm struck by how well Faramir's understanding of the Ring parallels his brother's, except that Faramir (like Aragorn, as you say) is able to resist its call to claim it for himself.

So when Faramir sends the Ring to Gondor, he is trying to do what he thinks Boromir would have done - just as he does again later in the defence of Minas Tirith, when he tells his father: "Since you are robbed of Boromir, I will do what I can in his stead."

But once he understands the true danger of the Ring, he chooses to let Frodo go, despite knowing that he himself will suffer for his decision. Now it's reminding me of the dying words of Boromir to Aragorn:

Aragorn: I let Frodo go.
Boromir: Then you did what I could not.

Faramir tries at first to do what Boromir hoped to do, but in the end he succeeds in doing what Boromir could not.

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Dec 26 2016, 1:27am

Post #24 of 24 (2420 views)
Shortcut
Faramir [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramir of Pete's movie was not the same character as Tolkien had written. Taking Frodo & Sam to Osgiliath was a violation I still have dificulty passing over. All together it is a flaw in the movie that could easily have been avoided. I think the whole thing exists in an attempt to build tension.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.