Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the December-already reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 6 2016, 3:50pm

Post #1 of 15 (459 views)
Shortcut
It's the December-already reading thread! Can't Post

I suppose it just shows my advancing age that the years seem to whirl around faster and faster. Shocked

I'm listening to A Lonely Death by Charles Todd. Inspector Ian Rutledge is sent out from Scotland Yard to investigate a series of murders of WWI veterans in Sussex. For a book written in just the last few years, it captures the feel of a Golden Age (20s and 30s) British mystery very well. For one thing, the PTSD (as we would call it now) of the veterans, including Rutledge himself, is a constant undercurrent, as it no doubt was.

I just finished reading Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch. I read one of his Bryant and May "Peculiar Crimes Unit" mysteries while I was out of town in October and enjoyed it. In that one, the PCU investigates crimes in contemporary London that may or may not have a supernatural aspect.

Midnight Riot is the first in the Peter Grant series, which also takes place in contemporary London, except in this one, Grant is a constable with magical abilities who becomes an apprentice to Scotland Yard's resident wizard. It's a delightful blend of police procedural, London geography and history, and imaginative weirdness.

Normally I'm not fond of first-person narrative, but if you give me a strong voice like that of Peter Grant (or of Corinna Chapman in Kerry Greenwood's contemporary series set in Melbourne) I'll happily accept just about any plot twist.

Now I need to catch up on magazines---two issues of Smithsonian and the recent issues of Archaeology and British Heritage

What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 6 2016, 4:33pm

Post #2 of 15 (402 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Midnight Riot is published in the UK as Rivers of London, which I think is a better title really. I wonder why they changed it? London and the rivers are so key to the plot!

I just finished The Kiwi Pair, a (ghost-written) autobiography by rowers Eric Murray and Hamish Bond, aka the Kiwi Pair, who won men's pair gold in both London and Rio and have an unbeaten winning streak of 69 international races. It was really good, a great insight into two very different men striving for the same goal. Might be a bit of a rowers-only book, or one for fans of sporting autobiographies!

Storm clouds

Annael
Immortal

Dec 6 2016, 4:40pm

Post #3 of 15 (399 views)
Shortcut
still rereading the Kencyrath series by P.C. Hodgell [In reply to] Can't Post

there was a lot I missed the first time 'round. Now on Honor's Paradox. Next up is Sea of Time which will bring me up to date and ready for The Gates of Tagmeth when it's released this spring. (Alas, another series author who works s l o w l y )

It was someone on this board, many years ago, who turned me onto Hodgell. At that point only Godstalk, the first book in the series, was available. I cannot recommend this author highly enough to fans of high fantasy. It's on the dark side, but avoids horror.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Dec 6 2016, 4:42pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 6 2016, 5:14pm

Post #4 of 15 (397 views)
Shortcut
From what I know of marketers... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm guessing some bright spark thought potential readers would think Rivers of London was a history and/or geography book, whereas Midnight Riot implies action/adventure/thriller/crime.

I agree that London and its rivers are key to the plot, and delightfully so!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2016, 5:18pm

Post #5 of 15 (399 views)
Shortcut
Bryant and May - London's Glory [In reply to] Can't Post

The author, Christopher Fowler, introduces each case with a bit of background on where he got the idea. He has a dry wit that had me laughing until I must have looked like an idiot. (I was listening to the book in my car in traffic.) The stories are fairly short and don't give much time for character development but there's always some sort of twist or bit of goofiness that leads the detective pair to their conclusions. The book is more of an homage to the fans of the two main characters than a stand-alone book to be read as an introduction. Those in the know will get a kick out of going behind the scenes of some of the bigger cases to those that filled in between.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 6 2016, 5:24pm

Post #6 of 15 (396 views)
Shortcut
Oh my goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I get for posting without the book in front of me. Of course the Bryant and May stories are written by Christopher Fowler, not Ben Aaronovitch. I can only plead that there are great similarities between the different series, including a lovely wry tone to the narrative.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2016, 5:30pm

Post #7 of 15 (393 views)
Shortcut
I might need to put those on my reading list then! [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher Fowler's descriptions are so dry and spot on. He has me chuckling hours later when I remember a particularly good passage. That kind of humor, the understated nudge or the unexpected comparison is really tickling me lately.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 6 2016, 7:25pm

Post #8 of 15 (388 views)
Shortcut
The Martian and The Martian fanfic [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hadn’t read any fanfiction since Jacqueline Lichtenberg’s Kraith series (aka “Spock Falls in Love With Mary Sue”) way back in the 1970s. How I got sucked back into it should be a warning to all.

The Martian, by Andy Weir. A nice mixture of epistolary monologic (Mark Watney’s written and audio logs) and universal omniscient (Mark’s dreams, scenes on Earth, etc.) Reread it for the third time. (The first time before the 2015 film, the second soon after seeing it.) What’s great about it (and the film) is there are no bad guys, there are no romantic subplots, and nobody does anything stupid. (Sorry, LOTR is 0 for 3 there.) Anyway, the book has way more bad stuff happening to Mark Watney than the film, and a lot more explanation. Odd thing: In the film Venkat Kapoor’s name was changed to Vincent Kapoor. Not so odd thing: The film omits all the references to cannibalism.
-Highly recommended

People Mark Watney Needs To Buy a Beer, by StillTryingToFly. Okay, so I’m Googling reviews of The Martian (book and film) and this comes up. It’s a 6 part series with Mark buying 6 (actually 7) people who helped him survive a beer (Mindy Park, Venkat Kapoor, Annie Montrose, Rich Purnell, etc.) Over the course of the stories you see Mark’s PTSD and paparazzi issues gradually worsen, culminating in the 6th beer with Commander Lewis. Short and episodic, but intriguing.
-Cannot recommend due to copyright issues.

The Hermes Mutiny Golf Club, by blackglass. The “People MarkWatney Needs To Buy a Beer” series referenced this one, so I looked it up. Almost everyone involved in Ares III begin regular golf dates (including those who can’t golf.) Teddy and Mitch are still friends. It also follows Beck and Johannsen’s dodging the media as they try to keep their growing relationship private. All in all a nice concept. BTW, I learned the word “headcanon”, meaning non-canon stuff that a fanfic writer or group of fanfic writers accept as canon in their own writing universe. (For example, headcanon for writer blackglass and others is that Mitch Henderson is homosexual.)
-Cannot recommend due to copyright issues.

Ancient Mars, by Greglet. Okay now this is where footnotes in "The Hermes Mutiny Golf Club” sent me. Started in May of 2016, and last updated in November, it is a 26 chapter (and still growing) fanfic about a budding romance between Mark Watney and Mindy Park that is still in the “will they or won’t they” stage after (did I mention it?) 26 fricking chapters! Some interesting non-canon (headcanon?) details about their private lives. Mostly from Mindy’s POV, but it occasionally switches to Mark so we can see how bad he has it with PTSD and paparazzi.
-Cannot recommend due to copyright issues, but God help me I can’t wait for the next chapter!!

So take warning from my sad example: Be careful on the internet or fanfic will get you if you don’t watch out!

"Mister Frodo, hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good frying pan at your side. I’ve been from one side of this garden to the other, I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Providence controlling everything. There's no Music of the Ainur that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 7 2016, 2:14pm

Post #9 of 15 (365 views)
Shortcut
Medicare For Dummies [In reply to] Can't Post

I am SO out of my depth! I turn 65 in March... so I figured I'd better hop to it! My question is... why do they make signing up for things for senior citizens already (speaking for myself) challenged with sorting things out so complicated and confusing? *shakes head and buries nose into page 184*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Annael
Immortal

Dec 7 2016, 4:07pm

Post #10 of 15 (358 views)
Shortcut
find an agent [In reply to] Can't Post

they'll take you right through everything for free. Ask your friends who they used.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Dec 7 2016, 5:11pm

Post #11 of 15 (351 views)
Shortcut
Don't stress, Gramma... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been there, done that myself, as have some of my friends. It pays to do your research, and the main thing is knowing what options you will choose, whether to go with one of the Advantage plans (like Kaiser) or with something like HMSA (or maybe it's called Blue Cross/Blue Shield where you are, or something else) where you select your various doctors out of the list of those belonging to that organization. In the latter case I think you also have to sign up for a Drug Plan (Part D) Anyway, the actual signing up with Medicare is simple and surprisingly enough, the Social Security Administration offices have, in my experience, been really good and efficient. Also, Medicare sends out a wonderful, easy to understand booklet about what you need to know. Call them for one if you haven't received one already.

You just need to make an appointment over the phone to meet with someone if you want to do it in person like I did (which is easier than it sounds) and when you meet with the Social Security person, they take all your pertinent information. Be sure to take along: your picture ID (drivers license or passport or state ID) and a copy of your birth certificate. If you're married I suspect you might need other documents as well, but being single myself, I don't know what those might be. If you want the Medicare payment automatically deducted from one of your bank accounts, you need to provide your bank's routing number and account number and tell them which account you want it deducted from - checking or savings. Bring along a blank deposit slip, that's easiest, so they can have that information.

They send you your Medicare card very quickly. I received mine within several weeks. One of my friends who lives in California had the same easy experience, and I hope yours goes as well. Good luck!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 8 2016, 2:02pm

Post #12 of 15 (311 views)
Shortcut
I'll definitely do that :D THANKS! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 8 2016, 2:06pm

Post #13 of 15 (318 views)
Shortcut
Awesome :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've already registered with Medicare and have my card. My parts A&B and doctor are pretty well under control, it's the part D and the dental/vision questions to address. Thanks so much for the input! I've started a check-list of who to contact with When, What and Why! ;)

Surprisingly, any friends I've asked for input are pretty clueless. <:o

THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 6 2017, 11:48am

Post #14 of 15 (165 views)
Shortcut
I'm in! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey Old Toby! I just had to do a follow-up on your great advice :) I'm officially in the Medicare world and have gotten all of the A's, B's, D's, Rx and everything else activated and running smoothly :) THANKS SO MUCH!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 6 2017, 12:51pm

Post #15 of 15 (161 views)
Shortcut
Woo-hoo! Congrats! [In reply to] Can't Post

That wasn't so bad, now, was it? Smile

(And speaking as someone who's done medical billing and has had to deal with all sorts of insurance companies, Medicare is actually a lot better than many of them...!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.