The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
** The House of Eorl ** 2. Rohan
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 12 2016, 6:26pm

Post #76 of 78 (759 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking F&S were especially inspired by Faramir's thongs. // [In reply to] Can't Post

I find so much joy in covering my cat with a blanket and watching the lump move around.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 12 2016, 6:56pm

Post #77 of 78 (755 views)
Shortcut
I think it was historic resentment, wasn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that at Helm's Deep, Gamling or someone says the Dunlendings resent the Rohirrim for receiving the gift of Rohan from Gondor, which Dunlend thought it should have received instead (even though the Dunlendings didn't rescue Gondor like Eorl's people did). So it set them up for centuries of hatred, and maybe skirmishes at the best of times. I think of it as France-Germany bad relationship which continued until only the last couple of generations.

On the other hand, the Dunlendings don't seem inherently evil, and at one point, I think Thorin or Thrain are living among them, ignominiously performing blacksmithing work in exchange for food and a small income. And they seem to have been tricked into Saruman's servitude through lies.

Anyway, you make a good point that they could have gotten along, but neighbors don't always do what's in their best interest.

enanito
Rohan

Dec 12 2016, 10:02pm

Post #78 of 78 (744 views)
Shortcut
It was our land first [In reply to] Can't Post

I've gotten the impression the Dunlendings felt that this was part of their historical homeland, and that the Rohirrim were 'usurpers'. Basically, they had to clear out so that the new guys could have room to roam on their nifty horses. In the Appendices we are told that

These [the Dunlendings] were a remnant of the peoples that had dwelt in the vales of the White Mountains in ages past

We also find that in the land of the Dunlendings there do live men who have come from other parts, who are possibly more prone to evil ways that the native Dunlendings.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.