Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Time Travelling TORn Forum Advent Calendar
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 4 2016, 4:48pm

Post #26 of 44 (727 views)
Shortcut
oh, fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Interstellar versus Inception - which do you rate higher? Interstellar. I liked the premise of Inception (although as a bit of an expert on dreams/the unconscious I think there's a lot they got wrong), and the climactic scene is a doozy - I saw the movie again just for that. But I LOVED Interstellar. First of all: best. wormhole. ever. Second: so much to ponder. I even blogged about the many kinds of faith that the movie touches on. Third: O'Neill cylinder!

2. Who is a Matthew McConaughey fan? Actually my favorite thing about him is the parodies other actors do of him. Matt Damon especially. But he was excellent in Interstellar.

3. You can only ever talk about one TV show to friends and family for the rest of your life - which show do you choose, and why? Oh man, that's a hard one. Firefly comes first to mind, but it was only one season. Oh, I know! Big Bang Theory, because it's about my people (PhDs) and touches on so much of what makes relationships work.

4. What was the last movie you watched in a cinema? Dr. Strange, for the second time. Beautiful movie, visually, and the man my niece & I call Bandersnatch Cummerbund never disappoints. Ditto the rest of the cast.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 4 2016, 8:40pm

Post #27 of 44 (731 views)
Shortcut
Door #4 - 22 October 2010 - Alassëa Eruvande is happy to hear some Hobbit movie news. [In reply to] Can't Post

Its's day 4, and we've reached the furthest back in time so far. Its 22 October 2010 and it has been an especially exciting week. A press release has been issued confirming that Peter Jackson will direct two Hobbit films, and that Martin Freeman has been cast as Bilbo Baggins. As a result of this news, dernwyn's Friday Fiesta is full of buzz. There's a lot of messages to cover (a Colorado mini-moot, Starling is moving house, and fairies), so do take a look.

Had you heard of Martin Freeman before he had been cast? Can you remember your reaction to this particular piece of news?
Did Martin Freeman make a good Bilbo Baggins, in your opinion?
David Tennant was always rumoured to have a role in The Hobbit. Who would you cast him to play?
Will we ever leave the Off Topic board?

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 10 2016, 8:14pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 4 2016, 8:55pm

Post #28 of 44 (719 views)
Shortcut
So many old nicks in that thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've missed deej's avatar - such good times. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 5 2016, 4:22am

Post #29 of 44 (710 views)
Shortcut
Heard of him? I cast him! [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, they didn't actually *ask* my opinion. :) But I suggested Martin Freeman for the young Bilbo on these very boards (on the old boards, to be exact) back when... actually, so long ago that I don't quite remember how far back it was. After seeing him in "Love Actually" and "The Office" he struck me as just right - not least because he looks like a young Ian Holm.

And yes, I think he made a very good Bilbo. The Bilbo-centric portions, especially those closest to the book, were my favourite parts of the movies.

A fun blast from the past, Daniel!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 5 2016, 5:40am

Post #30 of 44 (706 views)
Shortcut
This is true. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember you being the first to make the suggestion waaaay back. Well cast! Cool

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 5 2016, 5:40am

Post #31 of 44 (704 views)
Shortcut
I remember you being the first to put his name forward for Bilbo. [In reply to] Can't Post

You so should have asked Weta for a finder's fee. 😊

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 5 2016, 7:07am

Post #32 of 44 (703 views)
Shortcut
Door #5 - 22 February 2007 - weaver tests us with Lord of the Rings trivia [In reply to] Can't Post

I was tempted to generate another number having seen that we've landed on one of weaver's post. But Christmas time is one filled with memories of past even though we loose people that are dear to us, and I am sure she is looking down at us loving the idea that even after nearly 10 years her posts are still being read and enjoyed by us all.

It is 22 February 2007 and we have gone way-way-way back in history. weaver has started a brand-new Lord of the Rings trivia thread, just 6 days after the new forum has gone live, making this the 2988th post of the new forum.

Before clicking on the thread and seeing other people's answers, have a go at answering some of the questions. I will post the link to weaver's answers before we leave tomorrow. The questions come from the Trivial Pursuit game for the trilogy:

1. Who does Gandalf call an old rascal?
2. What creature blows the horn as Frodo and Sam watch the Black Gate open?
3. What kind of pipe-weed does Merry say he'd give anything for a whiff of in Fangorn?
4. Where does Eomer take the badly wounded Theodred?
5. Where on the Balrog's body does Gandalf make a first strike with his weapon?
6. What battle in the The Two Towers does Barrie Osborne make a cameo appearance in?

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 5 2016, 10:24am

Post #33 of 44 (660 views)
Shortcut
#4: Soooo happy the day we heard it was Freeman! [In reply to] Can't Post

I just think he was meant to play young Bilbo/Ian Holm.
There had been speculation that Ricky Gervais might do as Bilbo! The Hobbit would have been dead to me! Frown

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 5 2016, 12:02pm

Post #34 of 44 (654 views)
Shortcut
#4 I had heard of Martin Freeman... [In reply to] Can't Post

..from Sherlock and the Office and he wasn't my Bilbo - or at least, I thought not then, so my reation was along the lines of "Oh, really? Oh well...."

Just goes to show how wrong a person can be - and I was! Blush

Those were good times.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 6 2016, 6:58am

Post #35 of 44 (634 views)
Shortcut
Answers to Opening Week Movie Trivia Contest [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are the answers to weaver's Lord of the Rings trivia post, along with the rest of the questions/answers for the entire week.

And here are the original results for those that took part in 2007.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 6 2016, 12:12pm

Post #36 of 44 (599 views)
Shortcut
Door #6 - 11 March 2013 - jimmyfenn discusses why Boromir's death in The Fellowship of the Ring movie was disappointing [In reply to] Can't Post

We've skipped forward 575782 posts since weaver's thread, and landed in 11 March 2013. We are in The Lord of the Rings movie discussion section of the forum, and jimmyfenn is discussing his problems with the movie-version of Boromir's death.

How would you have liked the movie to have ended: a) with the Fellowship scattered while searching for Frodo (as with the book), or b) how it currently ends (i.e. with Boromir's death) in the movie?
Who's better, movie-Aragorn or book-Aragorn? And why?
What is your favourite scene in The Fellowship of the Ring movie?
At what points, if any, did you shed a tear at while watching The Fellowship of the Ring movie for the first (second ... third ... millionth) time?

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Dec 6 2016, 5:05pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 6 2016, 3:13pm

Post #37 of 44 (578 views)
Shortcut
#6 - afraid the link doesn't work - not for me, at least.... [In reply to] Can't Post

So I can't see jimmyfen's post...

But just generally, I think the movie probably ends where it needed to because it establishes the different paths taken by the Fellowship which will become the separate storylines of the next film - Frodo and Sam setting out for Mordor, Pippin and Merry captives, the other three tracking the orcs who took them. If it had been a TV series, that showed the next installment the following week, the book's ending would be easier to cope with. In a cinema film which isn't going to pick up the story again for a full year I'd say it probably works better as it is.

Both, in different ways. Book-Aragorn is viewed from a hobbit's perspective and seems a bit 'above my likes and dislikes'. The film takes a stab at showing events from his perspective and that's interesting. And I was very glad of Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn because he took over in my mind from the Aragorn who was the one part of the BBC radio adaptation I didn't like - the voice was wrong for me - too full, too satisfied, too overbearing.

Galadriel's gifts, I think - or the farewell to Lorien - or Rivendell - or Bilbo's party.

Not sure that I did (I could tell you for sure in RotK 'cos I've just watched it). Moments that catch me aren't usually the obviously tragic ones - death scenes and the like - but the ones where the day is saved at the last moment by something unexpected - like the elves turning up at Helm's Deep (even though they weren't supposed to be there!)

that I have never seen:

Annael
Half-elven

Dec 6 2016, 4:52pm

Post #38 of 44 (559 views)
Shortcut
let's see [In reply to] Can't Post

How would you have liked the movie to have ended: a) with the Fellowship scattered while searching for Frodo (as with the book), or b) how it currently ends (i.e. with Boromir's death) in the movie?

I liked how Jackson did it. Ending it with everyone scattered would have left us without any kind of resolution. Boromir's death (and the added line of "I would have followed you my brother . . . my captain . . . my king") was beautiful. And we needed Sam's final message of hope.

I just could have done without "Let's hunt some orc."

Who's better, movie-Aragorn or book-Aragorn? And why?

I prefer book-Aragorn's upright nature. He never doubts his destiny. Okay, sometimes he's a bit of an inflexible prig, but to me at 15 his moral certainty was an anchor. Ditto Faramir, so I hated how Jackson made them both weaker personalities just for the sake of a character arc.

What is your favourite scene in The Fellowship of the Ring movie?
Council of Elrond

But I also have to say, the moment we first see Aragorn is one of my favorite character-introducing scenes in any movie. Second only to our first sight of Captain Jack Sparrow.

At what points, if any, did you shed a tear at while watching The Fellowship of the Ring movie for the first (second ... third ... millionth) time?
death of Boromir. Starts with the expressions on Pippin's and Merry's faces as they watch him be cut down, all the way through his final words to Aragorn and the last sight of him in the funeral boat.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 6 2016, 5:16pm

Post #39 of 44 (554 views)
Shortcut
Link is fixed! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was strange, there must have bit some invisible character that got into the code. Crazy

I loved having the closure of Boromir's death! And the Scattering. Made a great "To be continued...".

I think I like movie-Aragorn a bit better, as there were times that book-Aragorn seemed too pompous.

Favorite scene? Most of the movie, it was a joy to see Middle-earth brough to "life"!

I think I cried when Gandalf fell. That's hard enough to read the first time in the book, and watching it brought that feeling back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 7 2016, 10:49am

Post #40 of 44 (518 views)
Shortcut
Door #7 - 31 March 2015 - Otaku-sempai's thread on the history of movie-Aragorn is moved to Main [In reply to] Can't Post

It's 31 March 2015 and in the Feedback section of the forum, BlackFox is helping the admins by pointing out that two threads are located on the wrong boards. The one up for discussion today is Otaku-sempai's thread: A Speculative History Of Aragorn II In Peter Jackson's Middle-earth which had accidentally been sent to Gaming & Collecting rather than Main. It's a great read (Otaku-sempai's thread, not the Feedback discussion!) so do have a look at it if you get a chance.

Should PJ and his team have included the 17-year gap between Bilbo's 111th birthday and Frodo's departure from the Shire in The Fellowship of the Ring movie?

Is there a particular portion of the book involving Aragorn (e.g. a scene, a sentence, a paragraph) that you would have liked to have seen in the movies?

What would you buy Aragorn for his birthday?

Will News from Bree ever become sentient enough to post for him/herself, and in the correct board?

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 7 2016, 12:20pm

Post #41 of 44 (510 views)
Shortcut
#7 You're right - it's a fascinating thread.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Should they? Well, in the spirit of sticking to the story absolutely then yes, I suppose they should - but I can see why they didn't. They would have had to work out a way of showing the passage of time. They couldn't have introduced Pippin, Merry and Sam at Bilbo's party, or brought in Sam's feelings about Rosie. They wouldn't have needed to age Frodo, of course, but anyone in the audience who hadn't read the book would wonder why. And did it really matter to the film? I'm going to run now before the turnips start flying, but I'm not sure that it did. Time passed - they showed us that. I'm not sure that we needed to know how much time passed.....

It's cheating a bit, but I'd love to have heard him say, "Behold! we are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." Or maybe to have had the Rangers go through the Paths of the Dead with him, to the Stone of Erech....

If Eowyn is nearby, a decent tin of stew and a tin opener...

that I have never seen:

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 8 2016, 10:59am

Post #42 of 44 (490 views)
Shortcut
Door #8 - 20 April 2008 - diedye ponders over Guillermo's riddle! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a fantastic place to have landed for day 8! It's 20 April 2008 and diedye (along with everyone else) is trying to figure out Guillermo's riddle; his very first post on the TORn forum:

This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.

The day of the moon will be
when all is revealed to thee
Questions will cease
Answers will please
We´ll learn of the Shire
and all you desire.

At ten minus Three.
Joining to be
Ten minus Eight
Add to the slate
of the two dozen princes
that die without winces.
And add to each day of
the week.

The thread is full of wonderful excitement, with many old faces posting in this thread.

We all know the answer to the riddle now, of course. Four days later, Guillermo confirms that he is set to direct the two Hobbit movies.

How excited were you to hear this news?

What's your favourite Guillermo del Toro movie?

Do you have a favourite riddle from the chapter 'Riddles in the Dark'?

Time zones are a big part of the discussion, but do you suffer jet lag when abroad?

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2016, 5:24am

Post #43 of 44 (428 views)
Shortcut
#8 What a time machine. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't here then but was listening for rumours everywhere. How cool was GDT's introduction!
Many people seemed excited about his involvement, but I had to take it on faith because "Pan's Labyrinth" was too dark for me, and I still wanted a PJ Hobbit. Funny ol' universe. Smile

I see that Deej called it on Martin Freeman playing Bilbo.

"Wind" is my favourite riddle.

I've been reading a book, "Colonial Tears & Sweat" about early European immigration of workers to NZ from the 1840's, also thinking about my ancestors going to North America. As much as I know I'm going to suffer from jet lag after a trip, I do tell myself every time, "It's not months on a rat-infested, damp, crowded, noisome ship bobbing around in the sea." That helps. Laugh

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 12 2016, 3:42pm

Post #44 of 44 (330 views)
Shortcut
Where has this been all my life? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I'm just seeing this now. I've quite enjoyed catching up though.

Thanks Daniel Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.