First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2016, 5:41am

Post #1 of 44 (1482 views)
Shortcut
The Time Travelling TORn Forum Advent Calendar Can't Post

TORn Forum Advent Calendar

Like a good book , sometimes it is refreshing to read something once again. You never know what you have missed the first time. And, as it is common at the turn of a new year, who doesn't want to reflect and get nostalgic by revisiting past threads, memories, friends, and many happy years of posting on the TORn forum? So, for the next 25 days, we will all be travelling in TORn's time travelling machine (maybe we need a poll to give this Machine a proper title)!

However, be warned: the time machine is a little glitchy. It isn't disguised as a police-box, but it does travel to historical posts using a random number generator. Which means that whenever we land it is completely random. We could land somewhere embarrassing, or in the middle of a flame war, in a Thranduil Appreciate Thread, or even in the middle of a Friday Fiesta. Do bring along anything that you might need for this journey.

So take your seat and hold on tight. Let us see who and what is behind door #1!

(Sorry, if you're looking for chocolate behind the door each day you're out of luck. I've already eaten them all.)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2016, 5:42am

Post #2 of 44 (1391 views)
Shortcut
Door #1 - 6 October 2012 - zarabia enjoys a Jimmy Fallon impression of Neil Young [In reply to] Can't Post

We have travelled 4 years into the past, and landed in 6 October 2012 during a 'What are you listening to?' thread. Cover songs and impersonations are a hot topic, and zarabia shares a particular favourite of hers. Unforuntately, the link to the video is now broken so you'll just have to use your imaginations as to why it was funny.

Have you recently listened to any of the songs mentioned in the thread?
Who else is a Neil Young fan?
Are there any videos that have made you laughed until you cried since 2012?
What is the most recent audio book you have listened to?
What is your favourite season?

We will stay here for the next 24 hours, so do take a look around.

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 1 2016, 8:39am

Post #3 of 44 (1367 views)
Shortcut
What a fun thing - and you deserve all the chocolate. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not till I cried, but one of my Top Ten favorites of the last 4 years. Ian and George:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS0WvzRVByg

Favorite season is fall. I'm a fall baby, but now I'm a spring baby in New Zealand...and it's not right, it's just not right.EvilLaugh

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 1 2016, 9:30am

Post #4 of 44 (1362 views)
Shortcut
I'm laughing at myself at the moment... [In reply to] Can't Post

Because my first thought when I saw your post was "Why has he started now - it's still November?.... Oh..."

Most recent audio book? Alan Garner, 'The Moon of Gomrath'.

Afraid I haven't listened to any of the songs mentioned in the thread.

Favourite season - right now, winter, sith a low sun shining across frosted fields. But I might revise that opinion several times before winter's over!

Lovely idea, Daniel - enjoy the chocs and Happy Advent!

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

NottaSackville
Valinor

Dec 1 2016, 1:37pm

Post #5 of 44 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Great idea! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Ettelewen
Rohan

Dec 1 2016, 2:41pm

Post #6 of 44 (1344 views)
Shortcut
What fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for this!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2016, 4:57pm

Post #7 of 44 (1336 views)
Shortcut
What? N...n...n...no chocolate? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown

But I expect you'll be pulling up a lot of "sweet" stuff!Laugh Fantastic idea, Daniel!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 1 2016, 5:10pm

Post #8 of 44 (1340 views)
Shortcut
I am going to open all of them [In reply to] Can't Post

to check if I'm in it.
And if not, then I won't play. Laugh

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 1 2016, 5:49pm

Post #9 of 44 (1321 views)
Shortcut
Is this the video? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bruce Springstten and 'Neil Young' Sing "Whip my Hair"

It looks funny! (Can't listen to it atm - am at work Blush)

Great idea, Daniel! Let's see...

1) I haven't listened to any of the songs in the thread recently, but I now have several of them stuck in my head!

2) Neil Young is okay - great song writer but his voice wears on me sometimes. There are other artists I'd rather listen too first

3) A video/song made me laugh hysterically recently, but it was a bit on the other side of the family friendly fence, so I can't reveal what it was here. Angelic

4) I often listen to The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion while driving. Best audio book investment ever!

5) Favorite season = Fall. I love the cool nights, the smells, the colors, etc. Spring is a close second as I love watching birds building their nests and/or migrating through the area. I'm addicted to several bird cams and they're the most active from early spring to mid-summer.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 1 2016, 8:58pm

Post #10 of 44 (1309 views)
Shortcut
I can't guarantee that we will visit you in the past, BUT ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I took a brief journey into the future, and it was ... terrifying! UnimpressedShocked

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2016, 10:47pm

Post #11 of 44 (1291 views)
Shortcut
Is that a glitch in the Matrix?? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 1 2016, 10:51pm

Post #12 of 44 (1289 views)
Shortcut
I think it's a matrix in the Glitch. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Fimbrethil, Warrior Entwife

Kim
Valinor

Dec 2 2016, 5:39am

Post #13 of 44 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Daniel, this will be fun [In reply to] Can't Post

although your vision of the future is quite terrifying!

"All we have to decide is what to do in the time that is given to us."

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 2 2016, 7:16am

Post #14 of 44 (1280 views)
Shortcut
Door #2 - 21 November 2014 - SirDennisC ponders about seeing Interstellar [In reply to] Can't Post

Today the Time Machine has moved us forward from 2012 but we're staying in Off Topic: we've landed in 21 November 2014 during a regular 'What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?' thread. Having read Ataahua's review on Interstellar (as well as thoughts from Kim and BlackFox), SirDennisC also considers watching it despite not being a Matthew McConaughey fan. Reading a little futher down the thread, SirDennisC has watched Interstellar (two days later) and appears to have quite enjoyed it! Heh, it might even encourage me to watch it as I've never seen it.

Other movies/shows being discussed: The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, Longmire, Tangled, among many others.

Interstellar versus Inception - which do you rate higher?
Who is a Matthew McConaughey fan?
You can only ever talk about one TV show to friends and family for the rest of your life - which show do you choose, and why?
What was the last movie you watched in a cinema?

(Sorry Starling, we were 4 posts over landing on top of you. Maybe tomorrow!)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 2 2016, 7:24am

Post #15 of 44 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Maybe, but the rest of that year looked normal to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson had adapted The Silmarillion into a 20-part movie series and we were arguing over the Morgoth-Ungoliant-Sauron love triangle, the LOTR caption contest had reached the highest roman numeral possible (MMMCMXCIX) so there was Pollantir thread to decide what letter should represent 4000 and 5000, and grammaboodwag had passed 100,000 posts so a new 'Title' had been specifically created.

Maybe the admins should ban Starling now, ya know, to be on the safe side? WinkTongue

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 2 2016, 9:15am

Post #16 of 44 (1263 views)
Shortcut
This is outrageous [In reply to] Can't Post

I am going to write a firmly worded complaint to myself.

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 2 2016, 9:23am

Post #17 of 44 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Door #2 = parallel universe! [In reply to] Can't Post

Because....

I've heard of Inception and the Hunger Games but not Interstellar and never seen any of them....
I've never heard of Matthew McConaughey...
My answer to question 3 would probably have to be the news - not because it's my favourite TV show (it isn't) but if this is to be the only show I talk about for ever and ever, at least it would provide a few different things to talk about!
Last cinema visit - 'A Streetcat named Bob'

that I have never seen:

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 2 2016, 6:39pm

Post #18 of 44 (1231 views)
Shortcut
#2 - Interstellar, good film; haven't seen Inception, probably won't [In reply to] Can't Post

- I love hearing Matthew McConaughey talk.
- Something by David Attenborough. Yeah, nature stuff.
- "Arrival": smart woman figures everything out. Does that mean we've arrived?

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2016, 7:19pm

Post #19 of 44 (1224 views)
Shortcut
I once sat [In reply to] Can't Post

in Matthew Mcwhatever's butt prints...

(I should probably 'splain that...)

He was in "Amistad"

So was our local tall ship, Pride of Baltimore II.

In one scene, he is sitting under the main boom, reading "Amistad's" papers...

I have sat in that exact spot on a few sails.

Also Morgan Freeman's footprints, as he boarded same ship...

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2016, 7:22pm

Post #20 of 44 (1224 views)
Shortcut
he is actually [In reply to] Can't Post

a pretty darn fine actor.

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 3 2016, 6:39pm

Post #21 of 44 (1194 views)
Shortcut
Haven't seen Inception [In reply to] Can't Post

The trailers didn't interest us enough to give it a try, but it does have a stellar cast, so maybe one day.

1) Interstellar versus Inception - which do you rate higher? - based on my comment above, kinda hafta say Interstellar. Laugh I was a bit lukewarm on Interstellar after viewing no. 1, but became a much bigger fan after viewing no. 2. There's a lot that goes on in the beginning of the movie that makes much more sense if you know what happens later. I enjoyed it quite a bit the second time.

2. Who is a Matthew McConaughey fan? I was lukewarm-to-warm about him until I saw him in season one of True Detective. There seems to be an overabundance of flawed, angst-ridden detectives in TV series these days, but his portrayal was not only convincing, in places it was heart-wrenching. His monologue in the last episode, in particular, was some of the best acting I've seen. I'm definitely a fan now.

3. You can only ever talk about one TV show to friends and family for the rest of your life - which show do you choose, and why? I like dormouse's answer - the news.

4. What was the last movie you watched in a cinema? Dr. Strange. Highly recommended!

Thanks again for these, Daniel! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 3 2016, 10:31pm

Post #22 of 44 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Door #3 - 26 August 2012 - Here's a toned Ryan Lochte! [In reply to] Can't Post

So we're back in 2012 again, and we are also still stuck in the Off Topic board! It's 26 August 2012 and we've very much landed on Estrogen Island.

I'm not sure it's worth asking any questions ... there might be one or two distractions for some of you!

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 3 2016, 11:18pm

Post #23 of 44 (1174 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure that Bard emerging from the Long Lake did look QUITE like that..... But then, we didn't really see his emerge, so who knows!

that I have never seen:

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 4 2016, 1:18am

Post #24 of 44 (1166 views)
Shortcut
#3 Nah, in the end [In reply to] Can't Post

we only got a shirtless man/bear (pretty good that) and some orcs (various states of eeew-wah!). Ah, and 13 naked dwarves in a fountain. But only out of focus in the distance. And only in the EE.

And a nice scene with Bard soaking wet but as a dad, which the ladies seemed to appreciate in 2012. Nice one.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 4 2016, 2:13pm

Post #25 of 44 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Genius! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that my kids are too old for these, it's my turn!

(I've been trying to hack your algorithm to make it land on chocolate, and on my most brilliant posts, but my MI5 contact prefers vanilla wafers, and wouldn't . . . bite.)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.