Dwarf weapon selection - choices, choices

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 28 2016, 11:55pm

Post #1 of 16 (2480 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf weapon selection - choices, choices Can't Post

https://forums.nexusmods.com/...he-hobbit-mod-ideas/

Ok, of the non-sword weapons sported by the dwarves, which do you think (based on how they were utilized in the films) would be the most effective a man or woman to actually employ?

Nori....staff mace
Ori.....sling shot
Oin....staff mace
Gloin...staff with an edged axe/cleaver like head
Bombur.....heavy mace
Bofur......heavy mattock
Bifur....edged spear
Dwalin....large hammer

If I had to pick, probably Bifur's spear edged weapon.

"A mace is a blunt weapon, a type of club or virge that uses a heavy head on the end of a handle to deliver powerful blows. A mace typically consists of a strong, heavy, wooden or metal shaft, often reinforced with metal, featuring a head made of stone, copper, bronze, iron, or steel."

When Bard brought out his original home made weapons fashioned from work implements, they were not too different - other than quality - from many weapons used by the dwarves.

To wield most of these weapons, other than the sling shot or spear would require immense strength...which the dwaves had. Obviously, to be on the receiving end - the large the foe the lower the strike - would be crippling at best. However, recovery time is slower.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 28 2016, 11:56pm)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Nov 29 2016, 2:22am

Post #2 of 16 (2433 views)
Shortcut
You forgot Dwalin's axes, Grasper and Keeper. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd pick those.

I always follow my job through.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 29 2016, 5:51am

Post #3 of 16 (2413 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes, good choice [In reply to] Can't Post

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Nov 29 2016, 7:19am

Post #4 of 16 (2405 views)
Shortcut
Oin's staff [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always thought it was a cool weapon. Good reach, not as unwieldy as some of the others, snd it can be used to just incapacitate rather than kill when appropriate.

StingingFly
Lorien

Nov 29 2016, 9:16pm

Post #5 of 16 (2347 views)
Shortcut
A couple of possibilities... [In reply to] Can't Post

For a human, the spear of Bifur has the most practical applications. It is lighter weight and has better range and variety of uses.

For a dwarf, the mattock of Bofur, mainly because of it's familiarity to dwarves. I imagine they put those in the hands of toddlers in the Iron Hills. They would be like an extension of their body, wielded with deadly speed and accuracy, despite their weight.

For me, I would take Kili's bow and arrow. I am built more like an elf and enjoy a bit of archery.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 29 2016, 9:39pm

Post #6 of 16 (2340 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I forgot about the bow. Certainly a good choice along with a blade for close in. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just looking at the poster of the dwarves with their weapons.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 29 2016, 9:39pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Nov 30 2016, 3:10pm

Post #7 of 16 (2301 views)
Shortcut
I'd go with axes, myself [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't remember Dwalin ever having a hammer - Bofur did, though. Also loved Dwalin's knuckle dusters, although they probably don't count as a weapon.

Well, maybe they do. But Fili was a walking arsenal, he had like 9 knives - love that curved thing he threw at the Orc during the barrel escape. And he had these cool boot-axes that he NEVER got to use!

This is the only picture I have of them, you can see them on the sides. I don't know how effective they'd actually be, but they're cool and I want some!!!

I'd say I've entered my second childhood, but I never left the first!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 30 2016, 3:15pm

Post #8 of 16 (2298 views)
Shortcut
In the dwarf line up p;hoto Dwalin far right has a large hammer like weapon [In reply to] Can't Post

https://forums.nexusmods.com/...he-hobbit-mod-ideas/

Trying to remember if he ever used it.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 30 2016, 3:17pm)

LSF
Gondor

Nov 30 2016, 5:58pm

Post #9 of 16 (2282 views)
Shortcut
hammer [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwalin used his hammer in the fight with the trolls, then Ori got and used it in the goblin tunnels and running from Azog and wargs.

weathertop
Rohan

Nov 30 2016, 7:02pm

Post #10 of 16 (2276 views)
Shortcut
from the list given: [In reply to] Can't Post

there's really only two or three choices for me. Either Oin of Bifur (potentially Ori). the rest are either too heavy for a normal human, or too unwieldy. Mostly they are just blunt melee weapons, and I've never been much on that type of fighting styes.

- Ori's sling would be an awesome (and my first) choice if it was as powerful and precise as movies/cartoons make them out to be. Although you could get proficient in it's accuracy without too much effort (much less than any of the others); i don't know if there's enough power behind it.

- I like Oin's staff better than Nori's, as it's smaller and more balanced.

- I think Bifur's is at least close to an asian bladed pole weapon that could come in handy in many instances.

--oh and BTW, in the image, Bombur has a big ladel/spoon--

from the list not given:
either a bow and arrow or the double hand axes. as a hunter, the bow and arrow is an easy practical choice.

Enginerd

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Nov 30 2016, 7:22pm

Post #11 of 16 (2274 views)
Shortcut
Nori's staff is smaller than Oin's. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

LSF
Gondor

Nov 30 2016, 7:48pm

Post #12 of 16 (2266 views)
Shortcut
Bifur's spear [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's the best one, since we already have weapons like it, and it looks pretty balanced for normal human strength. I also think it's just cool Cool

weathertop
Rohan

Nov 30 2016, 8:42pm

Post #13 of 16 (2261 views)
Shortcut
it may be 'shorter' smaller [In reply to] Can't Post

but the mass at the end is definitely bigger on Nori's.

Enginerd

DainPig
Gondor

Dec 1 2016, 1:09am

Post #14 of 16 (2250 views)
Shortcut
How can a staff be used as a weapon? [In reply to] Can't Post

Omnigeek
Lorien

Dec 1 2016, 2:37am

Post #15 of 16 (2245 views)
Shortcut
You're kidding, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Staves are quite effective weapons with the weight and speed to crack skulls, reach that extends past most swords or axes, and tremendous flexibility for close quarters battle.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 1 2016, 3:57am

Post #16 of 16 (2242 views)
Shortcut
Simply look up "Staff as a weapon" and you will see plenty of videos.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost all martial arts employ a simple staff / Bo as a weapon.
From Little John in Robin Hood to Kwai Chang Caine (Kung Fu) in entertainment to stick fighting etc etc.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.