Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
My King of the Dead and Eowyn sculptures

AranNZ
The Shire

Apr 26 2008, 3:01am

Views: 913
Shortcut
My King of the Dead and Eowyn sculptures Can't Post

Hi folks,

I'm Aran, a sculptor based in Auckland, New Zealand. I've been posting for a few years over on the Shadow and Flame forum and at The Clubhouse modelling forum, but thought I'd finally join up here with news of The Hobbit hotting up and Guillermo posting here. Smile

I've been a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit since I was a kid, when my father read us both books as bedtime stories.

I'm dying to get some work at Weta Workshop on The Hobbit (and sequel), but it is very hard to break into their sculpting team since they only have enough work for a set number of sculptors and no one ever wants to leave! Frown

I was inspired to try my hand at sculpting by the wonderful Sideshow/Weta LOTR collectibles a few years ago and did the King of the Dead bust pictured below. It was sculpted from super sculpey and is a fraction over 1/4 scale and fits in well with the Sideshow/Weta pieces.

This is a resin (plastic) casting which I painted to resemble bronze or copper:

Here is anoher resin casting that I had painted in full colour for me by the very talented Rick Cantu of Dragonstooth Miniatures:

I followed that with a statue of Eowyn as she appears on the front of the Golden Hall. She is 1/6th scale (~10.75 inches tall) and designed to fit in with the Sideshow/Weta range.

Eowyn is almost finished, but not quite. I'm really getting down to the final detailing now. She has a very hard likeness to capture in clay! Unsure

Subject User Time
My King of the Dead and Eowyn sculptures AranNZ Send a private message to AranNZ Apr 26 2008, 3:01am
    I remember seeing your work over at Chuck's Place... diedye Send a private message to diedye Apr 26 2008, 3:44am
    Wow! Jazmine Send a private message to Jazmine Apr 26 2008, 7:04pm
        Thanks! AranNZ Send a private message to AranNZ Apr 30 2008, 3:28am
    those are fabulous - thanks for sharing! greendragon Send a private message to greendragon Apr 26 2008, 8:51pm
    Question about how you fired these WonderBroad Send a private message to WonderBroad Apr 27 2008, 1:56am
        I use a dedicated home oven AranNZ Send a private message to AranNZ Apr 30 2008, 3:33am
            Great tips! WonderBroad Send a private message to WonderBroad May 1 2008, 2:40am
                Do some test runs in whatever oven you use! AranNZ Send a private message to AranNZ May 1 2008, 8:33pm
    Very nice work! Idril Celebrindal Send a private message to Idril Celebrindal Apr 27 2008, 2:47am
    Looks like pro-quality to me! labingi_maura Send a private message to labingi_maura Apr 27 2008, 7:16am
    I'm particularly impressed by your cloth work, Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Apr 27 2008, 7:28am
    What a talent! Nimloth Send a private message to Nimloth Apr 28 2008, 5:22am
        They take a looong time to sculpt! AranNZ Send a private message to AranNZ Apr 30 2008, 3:40am
    These are incredible, you've got terrific talent, thank you for sharing them :) Kelvarhin Send a private message to Kelvarhin Apr 28 2008, 7:25am
    thatīs awesome!!!!! Deni Send a private message to Deni Apr 28 2008, 1:14pm
    Absolutely gorgeous Ainu Laire Send a private message to Ainu Laire Apr 30 2008, 8:10am
    Extremely detailed Owain Send a private message to Owain May 2 2008, 9:58pm
    Aran! These are fantastic!! Elven Send a private message to Elven May 7 2008, 2:27pm
    awesome! Anorien Send a private message to Anorien May 25 2008, 10:43pm
        Finished Eowyn pics and started to paint her AranNZ Send a private message to AranNZ Jul 15 2008, 4:07am
            Almost finished! AranNZ Send a private message to AranNZ Apr 24 2009, 3:07am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.