The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Music Of The Hobbit Films book

Silmaril
Rohan

Nov 26 2016, 9:10am

Post #1 of 6 (1547 views)
Shortcut
The Music Of The Hobbit Films book Can't Post

Doug Adams tweeted that he is now officially working on the new book!

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 26 2016, 11:17am

Post #2 of 6 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to have something new to look forward to

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 26 2016, 2:36pm

Post #3 of 6 (1514 views)
Shortcut
Great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Nov 26 2016, 4:02pm

Post #4 of 6 (1499 views)
Shortcut
Exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Doug tweeted recently about frustration with getting approval for Middle Earth projects, so this is good news!

Music of the LOTR films was so eye opening and fascinating to read, I'm sure the Hobbit book will do the same. This also means we're more likely to get more of Shore's scores released! Hopefully Complete Recordings.

Ferder
The Shire

Dec 10 2016, 9:37am

Post #5 of 6 (1205 views)
Shortcut
It's about time! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great news! Doug's been hinting at the book for what seems like forever so I'm glad that he's officially announced it now.

I wonder if it will be meant to be read along with the 2-disk CDs that were already released or if there are Complete Recordings along the way.

I've found the 2-CD sets have more than enough music on them so I'm not sure if I would even want Complete Recordings. A more movie-accurate release of the scores might not even be preferable since there's a lot of good stuff on the original releaes that never made it into the film, like "A Very Respectable Hobbit" and the full song of Ironfoot. I'm torn between the two versions of A Good Omen" where the Eagles rescue everybody from the trees. The song in the film is gorgeous but I love how the version on the soundtrack reprises the theme heard over the opening logos.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Dec 11 2016, 4:44pm

Post #6 of 6 (1154 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Great news! Doug's been hinting at the book for what seems like forever so I'm glad that he's officially announced it now.

I wonder if it will be meant to be read along with the 2-disk CDs that were already released or if there are Complete Recordings along the way.

I've found the 2-CD sets have more than enough music on them so I'm not sure if I would even want Complete Recordings. A more movie-accurate release of the scores might not even be preferable since there's a lot of good stuff on the original releaes that never made it into the film, like "A Very Respectable Hobbit" and the full song of Ironfoot. I'm torn between the two versions of A Good Omen" where the Eagles rescue everybody from the trees. The song in the film is gorgeous but I love how the version on the soundtrack reprises the theme heard over the opening logos.

The hope for Complete Recordings are that they present the full chronological scores as Howard Shore wrote them.

Obviously we would not want a 'movie-accurate' version that just takes the music as presented in the film - where sound editors cut out entire sections of music, randomly intercut between pieces and use material in unintended places.

An ideal Complete Recordings would present all the music Shore wrote for the film, in chronological order, before the music editors messed around with it. It would still include 'A Very Respectable Hobbit' and 'Ironfoot' at the end of the CRs, as these were suites written to be presented at the end.

Where pieces were re-written for the film version, we would ideally have a disc with these alternate versions of the pieces.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.