Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What natural disaster are you most concerned about?
Poll: What natural disaster are you most concerned about?
Floods
Droughts
Earthquakes
Tsunami
Tornadoes
Cyclones/hurricanes
Dust storms
Thunderstorm asthma
Volcanic eruptions
Rising sea levels
A third trilogy of Tolkien movies
Internet outage
Other
View Results (76 votes)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2016, 3:24am

Post #1 of 23 (1448 views)
Shortcut
What natural disaster are you most concerned about? Can't Post

Given the recent tectonic twitches around the Ring of Fire and Melbourne's killer thunderstorm asthma event, I wondered what type of natural disasters are most likely to play on the minds of TORN members.

Feel free to choose more than one. :)

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 23 2016, 4:06am

Post #2 of 23 (1373 views)
Shortcut
When I woke up today there was a quarter inch of snow on the ground. // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Half-elven

Nov 23 2016, 6:04am

Post #3 of 23 (1373 views)
Shortcut
I read "Internet outage" as "Internet outrage" [In reply to] Can't Post

Talk about a ship that has already sailed!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2016, 6:18am

Post #4 of 23 (1365 views)
Shortcut
*snort* :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2016, 10:41am

Post #5 of 23 (1362 views)
Shortcut
Other, [In reply to] Can't Post

I live where earthquakes do happen rarely, thunderstorms frequently, snow storms yearly. No tsunamis in Ohio! I live on top of a high hill. I am at least 100 feet above everyone else in our county, so floods aren't an immediate concern. I do wonder about when the glaciers were melting just to the north of us ( about 30 miles). We have lots of valleys with very steep sides, but flat bottoms. I figure that the glacial floods filled in the bottoms of all the valleys and left them flat. But that all was over 10,000 years ago!

What I am concerned about is ice storms. We get those pretty regularly in the winter and they can cause so much damage and disruption.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 23 2016, 3:15pm

Post #6 of 23 (1356 views)
Shortcut
living on the coast [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to go with tsunami. Had a scary encounter with a "sneaker wave" once; it came racing all the way to the top of the beach and floated the 4-foot-thick log I was on, causing me to fall off into waist-deep water. Fortunately I fell on the "up" side and so was not crushed by the log as the wave receded, but it made me aware of the power of the sea.

Earthquakes I'm used to. We could have a 9,0-er here any time, but I don't worry about it - what good is worrying? We have some good windstorms but not hurricane level. Flooding can be a big problem, but that we usually know about in advance. What's dust, precious? We're usually too soggy here for dust. Luckily I do not have asthma.

(This post was edited by Annael on Nov 23 2016, 3:16pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 23 2016, 3:19pm

Post #7 of 23 (1349 views)
Shortcut
Sinkholes . . . // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 23 2016, 3:54pm

Post #8 of 23 (1349 views)
Shortcut
It is the same thing. Or, [In reply to] Can't Post

"All outages are outrages, but not all outrages are outages." TORn philosophy 101

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 23 2016, 5:18pm

Post #9 of 23 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Flat hair. Earthquakes. Fire. Locusts. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can safely say from unfortunately vast experience that I will never, ever get used to earthquakes. If anyone knows how to do that, let me know.
By the way, have you seen this pretty animation?

Fire would be my biggest fear though. I think it's probably a result of being evacuated from our house when I was little, due to a massive fire on the farm across the road. 1st of August 1975.
I can still remember the flames hitting the power lines in the massive winds (which I don't much like either...)

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 23 2016, 5:49pm

Post #10 of 23 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Tornado Alley, earthquakes are beginning to be a regular occurrence due to nearby fracking waster disposal wells, and our city just came out of a four year drought that had us drinking our own (treated) toilet water.

But actually I'm more worried about a major asteroid impact. World governments are not taking the possibility of an extinction event very seriously. The US has cancelled asteroid destroying research like the Clementine II mission, asteroid deflection research such as the Asteroid Redirect Mission are in danger of being canceled, and southern hemisphere Near Earth Object (NEO) detection programs have been eliminated leaving the earth woefully blind. And God help us cause we'd never see an NEO coming out of the sun's glare.

Then there's the potential of a gamma ray burst from any of the stars in the one hundred billion plus galaxies in the universe blasting our way and killing every living thing on planet earth.

I won't even mention a rogue black hole wandering into the solar system and eating the earth.

Still, the thing I worry about most is water damage to the house from leaky roof, flood, or burst pipes. I sometimes have nightmares about it. But everything's kept in good repair, so it's more OCD rather than out of any rational concern.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2016, 5:50pm

Post #11 of 23 (1336 views)
Shortcut
What I like about that animation [In reply to] Can't Post

is how you can clearly see the quakes occuring along the subduction zone.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2016, 7:17pm

Post #12 of 23 (1337 views)
Shortcut
The comforting thing... really more the realistic thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

is that if the every living thing is killed then... well we're dead and won't have to deal with it.

Is that realism or fatalism?

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 23 2016, 8:06pm

Post #13 of 23 (1325 views)
Shortcut
Tornadoes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm like the dog that freaks out over thunderstorms, which I don't like either, but not as much as tornadoes. If there is a tornado watch near us, my heart rate and breathing increase, and I become hyper aware of noises. I hate wind.

I'm also worried about drought. I think that is more because I grew up on a ranch, and we were so dependent on rainfall for good crops, water for the cattle and ourselves, etc. My father constantly made references to the drought of the 1950s, and compared all weather to those times. Nowadays, I don't have crops or cattle, but I obsessively record rainfall on our little corner of Ithilien.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 23 2016, 8:25pm

Post #14 of 23 (1320 views)
Shortcut
I voted for a Third Tolkien trilogy... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because A) None of the actual disasters are very likely to happen where I live (not that I'm indifferent to the effects of such disasters, it's just that living in Southern England is very, very safe and boring weather wise, the closest we have to a natural disaster is when it snows, everyone and everything shuts down) and I could live without internet (well, I think I could Wink ) and B) I was not very fond of The Hobbit trilogy and the thought of a another trilogy even further removed from the source material with probable less involvement from Jackson and increased involvement from the W.B executives is not a particularly happy thought i.m.o...

(This post was edited by malickfan on Nov 23 2016, 8:31pm)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 24 2016, 8:35am

Post #15 of 23 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

after last summer, Fire's a major fear around here. The stupid #@$%$^&%@ in the Department of Parks & Land Management decided to do another "controlled burn" yesterday, on a day of complete fire bans and we ended up inundated in smoke again, cue asthma attacks for me and the boys. We're starting to think that nobody in that department has a brain CrazyUnimpressed

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 24 2016, 4:00pm

Post #16 of 23 (1286 views)
Shortcut
I picked drought [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably because I grew up on a farm and am always very aware of where our food comes from. It drives me crazy when we're in the middle of an extended dry spell and the crops aren't growing and I see those grinning TV weather people saying, "And another wonderful, sunny day without a cloud in sight so head for the beach and enjoy!" Arghhh!

Top soil loss and vanishing water tables due to years of mass irrigation in the midwest is another thing that worries me. Scary.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 24 2016, 4:13pm

Post #17 of 23 (1289 views)
Shortcut
Speak of the devil [In reply to] Can't Post

Wifey and I in bed this morning and the earth moved.

Literally.

There were 3.3 and 4.0 earthquakes just across the border in Oklahoma.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 24 2016, 7:21pm

Post #18 of 23 (1271 views)
Shortcut
I chose cyclones/hurricanes..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Although where I live (I'm another of the softies in southern England) there's no discernable risk of cyclones and even hurricanes are pretty unlikely....

But you didn't have a 'very strong wind' option and that does concern me sometimes, living on high ground within sight of the Channel. If it's night-time, listening to the wind howling in the chimney, I do start wondering what'll be left by morning. And there was once, just once, when we sat by the window and watched the greenhouse blow into a neighbour's garden.....

Really, though, it's minor compared to the things other places have to deal with. As a small child I used to have recurring nightmares about a huge tidal wave (we didn't call them tsunamis then). It was terrifying - there was a woman and a tiger climbing a tree to escape the water - but I've no idea where I got that from!

Not keen on a outraged internet either! Wink

Gianna
Rohan

Nov 28 2016, 3:55pm

Post #19 of 23 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Tornadoes and volcanic eruptions [In reply to] Can't Post

And if fire counts, I am terrified of the possibility of fire.

Gianna
Rohan

Nov 28 2016, 3:56pm

Post #20 of 23 (1225 views)
Shortcut
I didn't even realise it didn't say "outrage" till I read your subject line XD // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 28 2016, 11:03pm

Post #21 of 23 (1215 views)
Shortcut
I almost lost my parents in a local flash flood [In reply to] Can't Post

so that made an impression. I also worry about tornadoes, but have only actually been close to one once. I didn't mark blizzards, but I hate commuting in those.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 2 2016, 6:29pm

Post #22 of 23 (1191 views)
Shortcut
here in southcentral PA... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we are lucky to not have volcanoes (except, I think a very ooooooold dead one), earthquakes (except for the odd minor rumbly one, like the one I missed because I was on a pirate ship), tornadoes (OK, once in awhile there's a warning and people flee trailer parks). Hurricanes just hurl some mighty wind and rain at us here, no real deadly devastation.

The creeks and rivers flood, but we are hilly enough that you have to have parked your stupid house on a floodplain...

And there are the morons who insist on driving through water on the road and get swept away (DON'T DO IT, IT'S DEADLY!!!!).

While the west is notable for wildfires, we don't have a big issue with them, only house and barn fires.

We are part of the Chesapeake Bay watershed, and can see the effects of climate change easily. Tangier and Smith islands, in the middle of the Bay, are losing ground, literally as the water rises. Climate change creates stronger storms which create more erosion as well as rising seas. Both islands have been inhabited for over four hundred years (the Native people may have visited but didn't seem to live there). On the east coast, the barrier islands protect smaller islands like Chincoteague (notable for its wild pony roundup). They too are experiencing more storms and flooding. The barrier islands, left alone, tend to roll over themselves toward land, as more land rises up out of the sea, so they may be self-healing, if they can keep up with climate change.

Personally, I have a great fear of thunderstorms and tornadoes.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 12 2016, 8:29pm

Post #23 of 23 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Tug McGraw's Frozen Snowball Theory [In reply to] Can't Post

“If I come in to pitch with the bases loaded and heavy hitter Willie Stargell is at bat, there’s no reason I want to throw the ball. But eventually I have to pitch. So I remind myself that in a few billion years the earth will become a frozen snowball hurtling through space, and nobody’s going to care what Willie Stargell did with the bases loaded!”

Words to live by.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.