Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Should political discussion be banned from TORn?
Poll: Should political discussion be banned from TORn?
Yes
No
I don't care
View Results (45 votes)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 22 2016, 2:21am

Post #1 of 25 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Should political discussion be banned from TORn? Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 4:25am

Post #2 of 25 (921 views)
Shortcut
Just for the sake of argument ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

EvilAngelic how about a "maybe" option? Although the more I think about it, with the times as they are, a ban might be a good idea.

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Nov 22 2016, 4:27am)

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2016, 4:46am

Post #3 of 25 (915 views)
Shortcut
Discussion should never be banned [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately most political discussion quickly descends into debate and then sinks into outright argument. Thus to preserve the hospitality of the hall, it becomes necessary to refrain from engaging in what is doomed to become uncivil discourse. Sort of like not bringing up the fact your cousin never paid back that money he borrowed during Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm practicing giving Elflike answers.... yea and nay and a maybe thrown in for the heck of it.

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Nov 22 2016, 4:47am)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 22 2016, 1:53pm

Post #4 of 25 (869 views)
Shortcut
I only bring up to poll in attempt to get a fair sampling [In reply to] Can't Post

in response to Silverlode’s post over on ‘Off Topic’. Here:

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=919269#919269

It seems to me that “outright” political discussion invariably turns into a nastiness, and enough OT posts will on occasion go OT in ‘Off Topic’ into politics anyway as a natural course. And as you say political discussion is . . . doomed to become uncivil discourse.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2016, 3:28pm

Post #5 of 25 (857 views)
Shortcut
Along with [In reply to] Can't Post

a look at the ToS to see if there are ways to give the Modars more tools to deal with those who have made this kind of move a necessity.

Sad but true, some folks just don't want to get along.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 3:30pm

Post #6 of 25 (857 views)
Shortcut
for now [In reply to] Can't Post

I say this because I've seen too many forums go down in flames when discussion on hot topics was allowed. My first experience of this was, of all things, a forum on spirituality. We didn't fight over religion as you might expect; it was animal rights that took the board down, and really, it was just a few people who got so het up they took over every discussion, and people just left.

This is a board for Tolkien lovers. Every one of whom deserves to feel safe.

I loved the discussions on televisionwithoutpity, which may have been the most heavily moderated board I've been on. You simply were not allowed to discuss anything off-topic and the second infraction got you banned. You also could not correct other people's grammar (unless they asked you to), and any kind of sneering, including the use of "you people," was ban-worthy.

As a result the conversations were thoughtful and witty and to the point. Not that people didn't hold strong opinions about the various shows under discussion; they did and they shared them, but it wasn't personal.

When I was a mod here years ago, I spent quite a bit of time with certain posters in PMs trying to explain the idea that "you are not your opinion. Your opinion is like the clothes you wear; it can change and you're still you. You may not like someone else's taste, but no one's forcing you to dress like them, and it's rude to tell them they look stupid to you."

(This post was edited by Annael on Nov 22 2016, 3:32pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 22 2016, 3:35pm

Post #7 of 25 (851 views)
Shortcut
Not necessarily banned, [In reply to] Can't Post

but limited. We all have our own views and opinions, and that is what makes us unique. We should just try to be calm if not everyone agrees with what we say. After all, we all are a big family on TORn!SmileHeart

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 22 2016, 4:20pm

Post #8 of 25 (854 views)
Shortcut
I recall... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a few years back we had a thread on Off-Topic asking whether political discourse could happen on TORn without it descending into sneering, name-calling, insults, flaming, and general nastiness.

The discussion quickly descended into sneering, name-calling, insults, flaming, and general nastiness.

So yeah, it should be banned. There's lots of forums on the net for political discussion, very few for Tolkien discussion. Let's not spoil it.

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2016, 4:48pm

Post #9 of 25 (846 views)
Shortcut
I hate to say yes, but [In reply to] Can't Post

this is a private website devoted to Tolkien and Peter Jackson's movies. Therefore it is not censorship if the owners/mods say "not going there." I think that so far, the American Presidential election hasn't gotten TOO out of hand on TORn, and I'd like to keep it that way. Let's keep the discussion focused on important matters, like beard length!Tongue

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 8:17pm

Post #10 of 25 (820 views)
Shortcut
Balrog wings. Aragorn: waffles (syrup or brown sugar). And of course, [In reply to] Can't Post

"Will the real Glorifindel please stand up." AngelicEvil

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 11:03pm

Post #11 of 25 (806 views)
Shortcut
What's political? [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be for the best, but some people will disagree about what is political in the first place. For instance, I don't think that discussions of global warming are political; others do.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 22 2016, 11:07pm

Post #12 of 25 (797 views)
Shortcut
Now you’ve gone and done it . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Balrog wings. Aragorn: waffles (syrup or brown sugar). And of course, . . .
"Will the real Glorifindel please stand up." Angelic[Evil

And probably started some sneering, name-calling, insults, flaming, and general nastiness, as Darkstone mentioned.

ATTENTION: This is intended as humor, satire, FUN etc. (Get it?) NOTa dig at Ethel Duath. Angelic Geez, I guess it’s always best to explain yourself as best as possible, huh.
BTW it’s a fact that there was only one Glorfindel (or maybe two Wink). And Balrogs might have wings Wink Wink. I’m pretty sure…Wink Wink Wink

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 22 2016, 11:20pm

Post #13 of 25 (803 views)
Shortcut
Global warming [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It might be for the best, but some people will disagree about what is political in the first place. For instance, I don't think that discussions of global warming are political; others do.

Global warming is the earth getting warmer. Easy!
It only gets political when a politician gets involved. Easy!

But a good question N.E. which need be taken case by case?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 23 2016, 12:04am

Post #14 of 25 (787 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry about me. Us "flamers" don't need disclaimers. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Although, really, we're just trying to start a nice, warm fire in the TORn hearth, and roast marshmallows and Balrog wings, right?Evil

Now, down to business:

1. Wings

2. Syrup

3. 3 (one to keep track of the other 2)

4. I prefer sneering, since no one can see me doing it. Angelic

5. It's O.K. if you dig Ethel Duath. After all, I am groovy. Peace. (Perhaps in addition to Talk like a Pirate Day, we can institute Talk like a Hippie Day.)

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 23 2016, 12:17am

Post #15 of 25 (782 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention gay warming and global marriage. // [In reply to] Can't Post

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Nov 23 2016, 1:10am

Post #16 of 25 (783 views)
Shortcut
Well there are moments that the whole Reunited Kingdom rubs me wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

After how long has it been since Harondor was part of Gondor... how will the people now living there be integrated into the new Gondor.... what about those living along the Sea of Rhun.....Do they even get a say? The Fourth Age would be a tangled political mess that would make Aragorn the Ranger want to head back into the Wild. (or at least so I imagine)

(Being facetious, I know.... apologies...the problem as I see it is not the topic but the behavior of the participants...if everyone's in a joking mood then facetious works ... if not then it's downright irritating.)

Seriously... the mods here do a great job of monitoring situations ...I got severely stung years ago in an online battle and now tend to write replies and delete them then just skip over the topics I know are going to be contentious. I come to TORn for Tolkien discussion and a bit of off topic movie and book discussion with folks who have at least some commonality with me.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 23 2016, 4:17am

Post #17 of 25 (762 views)
Shortcut
when Washington state made gay marriage and marijuana legal [In reply to] Can't Post

we became the "marrywhoyawanna" state . . .

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2016, 10:43am

Post #18 of 25 (737 views)
Shortcut
Ban people, not discussion.// [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2016, 5:28pm

Post #19 of 25 (716 views)
Shortcut
the elves [In reply to] Can't Post

have it.Wink

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 23 2016, 6:24pm

Post #20 of 25 (727 views)
Shortcut
Don't see the problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Frankly heterosexuals have done more to damage, degrade, and destroy the institution of marriage than anything homosexuals could do.

As for marijuana, we're in far more danger from alcoholics than potheads and we all know how well Prohibition worked.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 23 2016, 8:06pm

Post #21 of 25 (700 views)
Shortcut
This. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2016, 7:05pm

Post #22 of 25 (668 views)
Shortcut
Are PMs part of the Mod purview? [In reply to] Can't Post

Posters wanting to delve into political back-and-forth always have the option of taking their talk "outside," meaning pursuing it privately where if it degenerates into flaming, said posters are on their own and nobody else need be scorched or tempted to take sides and turn it into an unholy conflagration. (If I'm incorrect, dear mods, apologies -- haven't reviewed the TOS for a good while.)

We live in the digital age now where uncivil seems the only kind of discourse out there. Take away the face-to-face factor and too few people feel compelled to hold their tongue or strive for tact. Anonymity seems to feed and give voice to intolerance.

I'm completely sympathetic to anyone in favor of the ban. Our sterling moderators already have a largely thankless job. And yet, part of me regrets doing it. It feels like a capitulation to trolls and other arrogants, that we're saying you win, you've forced our hand, we no longer have the freedom to discuss truly anything in Off Topic in a tempered and open-minded way. It's symptomatic of a bigger societal problem and makes me sad. Frown

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 26 2016, 7:42pm

Post #23 of 25 (660 views)
Shortcut
If someone complains [In reply to] Can't Post

about messages they received via PMs then the admins will respond just as we would if those messages had been posted on the discussion boards. However if two people want to have a private discussion about politics or to continue a discussion that we've, for whatever reason, put a stop to on the boards, they're welcome to do so.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2016, 7:48pm

Post #24 of 25 (656 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that makes sense. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the clarification, Ataahua.

Fake
The Shire

Dec 23 2016, 10:17pm

Post #25 of 25 (436 views)
Shortcut
Probably a good idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I had to leave a music fan site awhile back because I am a conservative Christian, and the site was mostly liberal atheists.
I was constantly bullied and reprimanded for my posts, but my antagonists suffered no such penalties. The board owner was a hypocrite of the worst kind, and always sided against me. (That means he never followed his own rules). I left torn years ago for the same reason, but after lurking for a bit, I see it has changed, and decided to rejoin. I will not provoke, but if challenged, I will respond. I think there are plenty of other places on the interwebs to go for that kind of banter.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.