Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
what superpower would you like to have?
Poll: what superpower would you like to have?
flying
super strength
X-ray vision
telekinesis
mind-reading/ESP
instantly understand & speak any language
power over others' minds
seeing the future
power over the weather/airbending
power over fire/firebending
power over the earth/earthbending
power over water/waterbending
snow/ice generation (oh come on, you just want to sing "Let It Go" . . .)
transmogrification (into what?)
animating inanimate objects
healing
growing things
talking to animals
inspiration
other
View Results (31 votes)

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 20 2016, 7:55pm

Post #1 of 22 (882 views)
Shortcut
what superpower would you like to have? Can't Post

Thanks Ataahua for the idea . . . I was going to allow multiple answers but decided it would be more fun to make you choose the one you want more than anything.

I didn't put in one small power I want to have, which is the power to melt all subwoofers from a mile away if they wake me out of sleep.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 20 2016, 8:11pm

Post #2 of 22 (833 views)
Shortcut
If there can be only one... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I choose flying (though piloting an aircraft is surely more comfortable).

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 20 2016, 8:24pm

Post #3 of 22 (826 views)
Shortcut
I chose healing [In reply to] Can't Post

although flying would be so much fun! (And get me around traffic . . .). But i chose healing because I want to be able to cure addiction. To anything.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 20 2016, 9:11pm

Post #4 of 22 (815 views)
Shortcut
Iíd choose flying but [In reply to] Can't Post

I already have that ability very often in my dreams. Itís very useful for getting away from Ďbad guysí. All I need is a short run and a small hummock to launch off of. And itís FUN! Laugh

So I chose talking to animals which I already do so I reckon you meant talking AND understanding (dialogue)?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 20 2016, 9:51pm

Post #5 of 22 (808 views)
Shortcut
While I chose the language option, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be very tempted by having power over the earth. My garden would *f*a*b*u*l*o*u*s*.

I'd also stop all the flipping big-bang earthquakes.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2016, 5:30am

Post #6 of 22 (787 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

if you stop the earthquakes, what will I have to complain about?

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2016, 6:12am

Post #7 of 22 (783 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I dream of flight occasionally.

But my favorite bit in LOTR is Legolas' ability to communicate with nature and animals (the Rohan warhorse scene where he rides off without saddle or rein).

And Mowgli, living in the jungle talking to the animals.

I've always loved being in airplanes on the rare occasions when I can be in one (GET OUT OF MY WAY, THAT'S MY WINDOW SEAT!!!!)

Scuba diving is also pretty much like flying, though snorkelling, with its lack of gear and better streamlining is even more like flying.

Also that Melting of Subwoofers, yeah, Nice.

Paired with the melting of cellphones...

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 21 2016, 7:11am

Post #8 of 22 (774 views)
Shortcut
Projectile-vomiting students? / [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2016, 4:04pm

Post #9 of 22 (766 views)
Shortcut
eh [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the vultures who did the barfing (ick, stenchy, great defensive move, plus it made them lighter for liftoff!).

The red tail hawks projectile pooped... one missing the electrical outlet by millimeters.

Owls poop straight down, hawks poop OUT.

Sly

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 21 2016, 4:09pm

Post #10 of 22 (763 views)
Shortcut
I fly in dreams too [In reply to] Can't Post

I've worked hard at it (I taught myself lucid dreaming decades ago) and now I just soar effortlessly. I remember one dream where I soared for hours (it seemed) along the California coast. Lovely.

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2016, 10:14pm

Post #11 of 22 (741 views)
Shortcut
Would NOT want to see the future [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember some movie, I think "Paycheck," where they built some machine to predict the future so they could control it - and it turned out that the event happened anyway, sort of like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Being able to heal Wolverine-style is tempting, but I don't think I'd want to live forever. Nor do I want to read people's minds, I'm already very easily offended. Transmorgi - ah, shape-shifting(?) is very tempting, but I think telekenisis would be the best. I could just think about loading the dishwasher, and the dishes would load themselves, COOL! My house would ALWAYS be clean!Wink

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 22 2016, 12:58am

Post #12 of 22 (722 views)
Shortcut
Invisibility? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm surprised invisibility was left off. Well, that's why we have 'other'.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 1:06am

Post #13 of 22 (718 views)
Shortcut
not "left off" [In reply to] Can't Post

just not remembered. Of course I wouldn't get ALL the possibilities . . .

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 22 2016, 1:23am

Post #14 of 22 (705 views)
Shortcut
Lucid dreaming [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've worked hard at it (I taught myself lucid dreaming decades ago) and now I just soar effortlessly. I remember one dream where I soared for hours (it seemed) along the California coast. Lovely.

I only occasionally have lucid dreams. Often when they just seem too unreal to be real. (Itís an aha moment for me.)
To be able to be aware of the fact that you are dreaming on a regular basis is fantastic. Iíd like to hear more of how you were able to teach yourself.
My flying is quite often but not always smooth as occasionally I have trouble staying aloft. And it mostly takes place when people are around to gape up in wonder. (Showing off?)
I think maybe Freud would like to have a talk with us bothÖ Wink

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 22 2016, 1:57am

Post #15 of 22 (702 views)
Shortcut
While I haven't had lucid dreaming, [In reply to] Can't Post

I have had hynogogic dreams that involve visual and tactile hallucinations. Most of them were startling or frightening, but one was so lovely that I managed to 'hold on' and keep it going for a while before finally waking up.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 22 2016, 1:59am)

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2016, 5:22am

Post #16 of 22 (691 views)
Shortcut
The ability to inspire the best in others. [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course since power comes with a price that probably means I wind up serving as a bad example or a martyr.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 3:44pm

Post #17 of 22 (681 views)
Shortcut
lucid dreaming [In reply to] Can't Post

back in college (lo these many years ago!) I got heavily into dreamwork; even wrote my senior thesis on the use of dreams in healing throughout history. For a while I did the Ira Progoff method of keeping a dream journal and working with all the images in each dream, but that just got too time-consuming! Then I read a bunch of different books on dreams and lucid dreaming . . . I'll try to summarize what I learned:

1. keep paper & pen by the bed & try to write down what dreams you remember, even the smallest fragment. This seems to "invite" your unconscious to speak more clearly to you - I've known quite a few people who said "I never dream, or if I do I don't remember" who found that they had many more and more vivid dreams as soon as they even put the pad of paper on their bedstand. So whatever you want out of dreams, that's always the first step.

2. Before sleep, tell yourself something that you will look for or try to do in your dreams. A lot of the books say "just try to look at your own hand." I've had success with trying to look at my feet, to see what I'm standing on.

3. Also tell yourself that you can change the dream if you want. At first, you may wake out of the dream, but you can at this point choose to "re-enter" the dream as you lie in bed with your eyes shut. Remember the dream and then imagine it going differently. You may fall asleep and actually re-dream the dream at this point! In time you may find that you can wake up just enough to say to yourself "I am dreaming" and then redirect the dream. Flying is one of the first ways that I did this, in fact. At first when I dreamt I was flying, it was very difficult to get off the ground at all. But the more I imagined myself flying in that half-asleep state, the easier it got, and now I can just soar easily as high and as long as I want.

(My favorite story about changing the dream is the time I dreamt I was being chased by a T. Rex. In the dream I reasoned that the dinosaurs died out in the Ice Age, and so I ran onto a glacier and the T. Rex did not follow.)

From lucid dreaming I went a bit into out-of-body work, but it kinda freaked me out the first time it worked! I haven't pursued that since.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 22 2016, 4:23pm

Post #18 of 22 (679 views)
Shortcut
Clean up pollution. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, and turn polluters into newts.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 4:33pm

Post #19 of 22 (678 views)
Shortcut
ooh, good one [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to build a device that took heavy metals out of seawater. We need that around here, our orcas are dying.

Gianna
Rohan

Nov 28 2016, 4:00pm

Post #20 of 22 (635 views)
Shortcut
Flying [In reply to] Can't Post

I dreamed I was flying once and it was the most incredible feeling.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 28 2016, 11:08pm

Post #21 of 22 (631 views)
Shortcut
I have occasionally had some vivid lucid dreams [In reply to] Can't Post

where I'm looking around at all the detail and thinking "Wow, I really did a good job with that mountain range." But more often it's like the dream I had the other night where I was teaching in a room where the students couldn't see the board and I commented "This is just like the dream I always have where the students can't see the board," but never guessed the truth.

I've had tornado dream so often that when I have one now I almost always become lucid. And once in real life when there were tornadoes about and I was driving home, I wasn't quite sure I was awake.

Fake
The Shire

Dec 23 2016, 10:36pm

Post #22 of 22 (443 views)
Shortcut
That's easy [In reply to] Can't Post

Flying--the dream of every child.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.