Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you speak more than one language?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Do you speak more than one language?
I speak several, in fact
Yes, I speak another language fluently
Yes, I speak another language well enough to get by
A bit
Nope
View Results (37 votes)

Annael
Immortal

Nov 19 2016, 7:06pm

Post #1 of 42 (1154 views)
Shortcut
Do you speak more than one language? Can't Post

I just saw "Arrival" and it got me thinking about language. The Emperor Charlemagne said that to speak a second language was like gaining a second soul. I've been reading about how the assumptions inherent in different languages actually change HOW we think. For instance, in a language with a future tense, like English, we can put off doing something by thinking/saying "I will do that later." In German or Chinese, there's no future tense so one is either doing something or not doing something - which apparently makes it easy for those people to save money, eat well, etc. English also assigns blame to actions - someone did it! - while Spanish or Japanese does not: things just happen. Interesting stuff! And it made me wonder how many people here speak another language well enough to have had their brains stretched by it?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 19 2016, 7:47pm

Post #2 of 42 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Not really. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm an American-born speaker and reader of English. I took some Spanish in my high-school days, seemingly back when the conquistadors where still active, but I don't think I've retained much of it. I know a smattering of Japanese though it's not like I use it regularly or much at all.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 19 2016, 9:41pm

Post #3 of 42 (1051 views)
Shortcut
I can get by in French, [In reply to] Can't Post

which was *very* useful during our recent holiday, when in areas of France that don't get a lot of Anglophone visitors. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of opportunities to practise - I did brush up in the months before, though, and actually *having* to use my French this time was a great exercise.

There was a time when I could just about get by in Italian, but that's mostly faded - I need an immersion opportunity!

I've at times learned small amounts of other languages, such as Bahasa Indonesia, German, and Swedish. They've faded due to lack of use.

I only know a few words and phrases in Te Reo Maori, and wish I knew more. A pity it wasn't taught during my schooldays, when it was easier to pick up languages.

Yes, language is a fascinating subject! It's a fine exercise to have one's assumptions challenged - things we've accepted as "that's how it is, and how it must be" collapse when one learns that it's *not* necessarily how it is, and that leads to musing on how thoughts might take different channels.

And then there are all the different forms and usages around the world of what we call "English". Ireland was a fascinating example for me this year, as was India for Mr Kimi when he was working there a few years ago.

DainPig
Gondor

Nov 20 2016, 12:22am

Post #4 of 42 (1030 views)
Shortcut
I speak two langs [In reply to] Can't Post

Portuguese and english

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 20 2016, 12:24am

Post #5 of 42 (1030 views)
Shortcut
I can definitely get by in French [In reply to] Can't Post

But, I wouldn't say I'm fluent. I don't quite use it enough.

I came close to being fluent when I worked in Montreal for almost a year (during the week - home on weekends), then took my mom to visit our relatives in France right after. A flattering moment I'll never forget is when I stopped to ask for directions once and a women asked me what part of France I was from because she couldn't quite place my accent. These days I try to think in French as often as I can, and I correspond with my relatives via email. I also sometimes listen to French radio in the car, and while I follow it fairly well, I'm woefully behind on the slang.

I have a funny anecdote about language re-programming one's brain (or not). When I took my mom to Rome, I picked up Italian so easily I got cocky and thought: why not try Spanish too? After all it's just another romance language. It turns out that while I was picking up on the vocabulary and grammar well enough, when I'd try to speak (or even think), in Spanish, it was with a French or Italian accent, lol. Laugh I never could shake it, and it was driving me crazy, so I gave up. I still understand Spanish fairly well. It's pretty common here in Colorado, but I don't dare utter a word.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 20 2016, 4:24am)

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 20 2016, 4:21am

Post #6 of 42 (1012 views)
Shortcut
I speak English and Earthquake. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Nov 20 2016, 5:21am

Post #7 of 42 (1011 views)
Shortcut
same for me [In reply to] Can't Post

At one point I was fluent in French to the point I was dreaming in it. Didn't keep it up alas! Then I studied Italian, and as a result I understand a lot of Spanish.

Also studied German for a year, which came in useful when I traveled there, but it's mostly gone now.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2016, 6:17pm

Post #8 of 42 (974 views)
Shortcut
I understand that Earthquake uses very short words that are verbalised very loudly. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2016, 6:26pm

Post #9 of 42 (974 views)
Shortcut
'Fluent' may be stretching it a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

But my degree's in French and I'd say that I'm still pretty fluent (rustily). If I'm flung into a situation where I need to speak French I can still hold a conversation without too much difficulty though I have to think about some words.

I did German until I was 18 and can still understand quite a lot. Because of my French I discovered that I can understand quite a lot of Spanish and to a lesser extent Portuguese (Brazlian Portuguese is easier, it's clearer than Portuguese Portuguese) although I can't really speak much myself.

I hate going to places where I can't understand anything. I feel like such an idiot, especially as so many people in the world speak such good English.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2016, 7:16pm

Post #10 of 42 (967 views)
Shortcut
If I could choose a superpower [In reply to] Can't Post

it would be to understand and speak any language - then there'd be no barriers to me travelling the world and speaking to the locals. Smile

Annael
Immortal

Nov 20 2016, 7:47pm

Post #11 of 42 (955 views)
Shortcut
ooh, great idea for another poll! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2016, 10:15pm

Post #12 of 42 (958 views)
Shortcut
We need a TARDIS [In reply to] Can't Post

The Doctor never has a problem.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2016, 10:45pm

Post #13 of 42 (953 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

we'd get to avoid check-in and security searches at airports. Smile

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2016, 5:58am

Post #14 of 42 (940 views)
Shortcut
bfajshd;anhnchdfkjsdklj;alsdkj;al [In reply to] Can't Post

errrrrrrrrr

I seem to be linguistically impaired.

I speak American English. I learned a couple of Pennsylvania Dutch words from my family (someone actually published a small book locally called how to speak dutchified english), shussly (clumsy and hurried), rootchy (ADD twitchy figety), stroobly (your hair is a mess), noche (to noche a kitten or baby, to pet).

Took Spanish in high school, forgot most of it. Realize it would be useful now since lots of folks around here speak it.

Learned a fairly rude word from a Hungarian co-worker (will.... not.... repeat.... here).

Memorized some Elvish poetry from elvish.org, does that count????

Actually own a Klingon dictionary... somewhere.

Learned bits of the Moana soundtrack that are in one of the Polynesian languages (Samoan, or Tokelauan or Tuvalauan) done by Te vaka (fabulous group, awesome soundtrack).

Did Shotokan karate long ago and learned some Japanese. Actually knew left and right better in Japanese at the time because the words were connected to a physical movement.

Played around with some kung fu, tried to learn to count in Chinese....

...better at Japanese. Ack.

Learned a smattering of Sign from Deaf friends. Sadly they moved to Kentucky so I lost the practice. It's a physical language and occupies space in an interesting way. I found I could use it to remember some things because, connected to a physical action.

Probably be nice to have a real second language.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 21 2016, 7:22am

Post #15 of 42 (931 views)
Shortcut
**Mods up**// [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2016, 4:10pm

Post #16 of 42 (927 views)
Shortcut
does he have [In reply to] Can't Post

a bablefish?

Or one of those universal translators from Star Trek?

If you think about most sci-fi or time travel stuff, it gets kind of odd... the fact that the entire universe seems to speak English...

One of the neatest film approaches to the language issue was The 13th Warrior (Antonio Banderas) where the main character has to learn the language of his Norse associates, and we see him siting around the campfire gradually making sense of one or two words, then more. What the audience hears is norsenorsenorse englishword norse... then norse norse english english norse... then finally just english as our hero learns their language. Beyond that, and the Norse coming to appreciate our hero's little Arabian horse ("the rat can jump!), the film was a financial flop. It was kind of fun though.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 21 2016, 4:14pm

Post #17 of 42 (930 views)
Shortcut
rude words [In reply to] Can't Post

are a great reason for learning another language. I frequently insult other drivers in French.

My cousin who has lived in Italy for 50 years taught me some extremely rude words (English is just so limited in that regard - we pretty much start and end with the f-word). But that night I dreamt I yelled one phrase at another driver who turned out to speak Italian and came after me like a berserker, so . . . I stick to French.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Nov 21 2016, 4:58pm

Post #18 of 42 (922 views)
Shortcut
I speak [In reply to] Can't Post

Swedish and English fluently. I can speak a little bit of Danish and Norwegian but only because it is really close to Swedish. I studying German for a year but I don't remember much of it. I can speak a few words of Spanish and French.

(This post was edited by Smaug the iron on Nov 21 2016, 5:00pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 21 2016, 5:09pm

Post #19 of 42 (915 views)
Shortcut
Know some Spanish [In reply to] Can't Post

In the process of reviewing what I do, so I can continue to learn it more.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2016, 9:03pm

Post #20 of 42 (906 views)
Shortcut
bwaaaa haaaaaaa haaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard stories like that... someone speaking an obscure language they don't think the locals know, then someone does....Sly...

I bet the Italians have some doozers!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 21 2016, 10:44pm

Post #21 of 42 (896 views)
Shortcut
I once read all of "El Seņor de los Anillos" [In reply to] Can't Post

but I still said "a bit". I think I'm actually between "a bit" and "well enough to get by".

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2016, 11:13pm

Post #22 of 42 (892 views)
Shortcut
Translation circuit [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I remember, if you travel in the TARDIS it gets inside your head and translates for you when you land on a new planet. Once or twice they've done an episode where for one reason or another it hasn't worked, and then they've subtitled the aliens. Laugh

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2016, 11:36pm

Post #23 of 42 (893 views)
Shortcut
I tend to understand more when reading rather than speaking [In reply to] Can't Post

I studied latin when i was at school so that helps with with the french and spanish I've studied. Also helps a little with Italian. I can also speak/read a little welsh

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 5:10am

Post #24 of 42 (882 views)
Shortcut
Trying to learn French on my own. Tips appreciated! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I find it excruciatingly slow going; but I find my 2 years of Spanish in early high school has helped somewhat with the verbs. My one year of German, not so much.CrazyEvil

I found a great free online course (Carnegie-Mellon OLI), with lots of videos, all native speakers, and tons of mp3 clips to listen to and endlessly repeat if I want to. But still . . .

Kim
Valinor

Nov 22 2016, 5:48am

Post #25 of 42 (877 views)
Shortcut
That's fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

In German or Chinese, there's no future tense so one is either doing something or not doing something - which apparently makes it easy for those people to save money, eat well, etc.

Trying to wrap my head around this as I've never studied either of these languages. So if there's no future tense, how do they discuss the future? What might happen? What they plan to do tomorrow? Sci fi movies? The mind boggles Shocked

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.