Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
will there be more Middle Earth movies?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Imladris18
Lorien

Nov 23 2016, 3:46pm

Post #26 of 39 (2585 views)
Shortcut
The fact the he phrased it "Middle-earth gridlock" instead of something specifically relating to music or the Hobbit is interesting though. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's well known the future of any more Middle-earth movies is basically in gridlock with there not being more source material to legally pull from, and I haven't heard of any sort of issues with his Music of the Hobbit book, so who knows.

I'll remain very cautiously optimistic.

Silmaril
Rohan

Nov 23 2016, 4:37pm

Post #27 of 39 (2584 views)
Shortcut
"No motion yet" [In reply to] Can't Post

The publishing of his second book and The Hobbit CRs were very uncertain, so maybe he meant this with "gridlock".

"I'm afraid no Hobbit CRs are in the planning stages at this time. Doesn't mean they'll never happen, but no motion yet."
https://twitter.com/DougAdamsMusic/status/654296799927246848

Imladris18
Lorien

Nov 23 2016, 4:40pm

Post #28 of 39 (2576 views)
Shortcut
Ohh, good find. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be okay with that.

Silmaril
Rohan

Nov 26 2016, 9:11am

Post #29 of 39 (2488 views)
Shortcut
Doug Adams tweeted again. [In reply to] Can't Post

Doug Adams tweeted that he is now officially working on the new book!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 11 2016, 6:02pm

Post #30 of 39 (2180 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I love PJ's Middle Earth movies and it hurts that all of the excitement and anticipation for a new project is over, but if the studios start with prequels, sequels, reboots, soft reboots there will be no end.

I mean that, studios are like factories these days. Movies get made from a meeting board to appeal to all demographics. For example Disney will produce STAR WARS and Marvel movies till 3017!!!! WB tries to do the same with DC and With Harry Potter. Fantastic beasts as i read from some article was like a reference in the original books and now they will make 5 movies from this (and they complained for the Hobbit to be three movies).

So, let the Middle Earth be, no more entries!!!!

Also because there is a growing tendency to make films generic to specific worldwide trends, thus removing originality from them. I mean, to me the Marvel films – apart from a couple that will no doubt be subsumed in the general banality in future episodes, mergings with other films' 'heroes', reboots or whatever – are basically all the same and completely unmemorable. Sadly, parts of the Hobbit even suffered from this 'globalisation' trend, comic-book references included. This was largely absent in LotR, a series of films I do consider very much original.

In addition, the actors who appeared in LotR – who were quite original in their own ways, rather than the standard celebrity fare generally employed today – would no longer be able to appear in any later films. Even the glassy-eyed Legolas (played by a relatively young actor) was a disaster for the Hobbit films as far as I'm concerned, and contributed a lot to my disappointment in them.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Dec 11 2016, 6:03pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 11 2016, 6:48pm

Post #31 of 39 (2170 views)
Shortcut
Re-using Actors [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In addition, the actors who appeared in LotR – who were quite original in their own ways, rather than the standard celebrity fare generally employed today – would no longer be able to appear in any later films. Even the glassy-eyed Legolas (played by a relatively young actor) was a disaster for the Hobbit films as far as I'm concerned, and contributed a lot to my disappointment in them.

That's not entirely true. I could still, for example, imagine Hugo Weaving reprising Elrond. And, in a movie about Aragorn as a young man, Viggo Mortensen could play King Elessar telling the story of his early years to his children. The role of the younger Arwen might need to be recast.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Gimli1252
Bree

Dec 12 2016, 7:08am

Post #32 of 39 (2130 views)
Shortcut
Lack of Originality ... [In reply to] Can't Post

And lack of restraint as well. In truth many on this forum, would like to see more movies based on Middle Earth.
Heck, I want to see a movie for the Hunt of Gollum. They can use some of the dwarves from the Hobbit, Thranduil, Tauriel, Legolas and so on.
You must be crazy if you don't want to see a movie about the Adventures of young Aragorn.
But the six movies we have right now are enough. Also, I doubt if Viggo will reprise his role again, even if it is only a cameo.

Said that, I think the production of Middle Earth movies is inevitable,
1) Because WB wants to hold the rights of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and so they will be forced to make more movies,
2) Lord of the Rings is a popular brand to sell to the audiences around the world and make a very large profit.

''There is one dwarf yet in Moria, who still draws breath''

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 12 2016, 12:09pm

Post #33 of 39 (2122 views)
Shortcut
It's called 'milking the cash cow', I believe [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And lack of restraint as well. In truth many on this forum, would like to see more movies based on Middle Earth. You must be crazy if you don't want to see a movie about the Adventures of young Aragorn.
Said that, I think the production of Middle Earth movies is inevitable,
1) Because WB wants to hold the rights of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and so they will be forced to make more movies,
2) Lord of the Rings is a popular brand to sell to the audiences around the world and make a very large profit.

Sure they'll want to milk the cash cow as far as they can. But just because I don't want to see such bastardisations, which are increasingly further from the unique magic/style of Tolkien's work in their attempts to 'globalise' the subject (e.g. via 'the adventures of young Aragon',), using completely inappropriate vulgarity and comic-book standardisation, does not make me 'crazy', as you state.Angelic

Some people will no doubt accept more 'Middle-Earth' films at any cost. I won't. It's simply my own point of view.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Dec 12 2016, 12:15pm)

Gimli1252
Bree

Dec 12 2016, 12:24pm

Post #34 of 39 (2114 views)
Shortcut
My bad... [In reply to] Can't Post

I phrased the word "you" generally, not for you personally...
Apologies, I agree with everything you said.

''There is one dwarf yet in Moria, who still draws breath''

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 12 2016, 1:10pm

Post #35 of 39 (2105 views)
Shortcut
I see… [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I phrased the word "you" generally, not for you personally...
Apologies, I agree with everything you said.

Oh, I see – OK. Wink

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 12 2016, 1:15pm

Post #36 of 39 (2104 views)
Shortcut
Journeys & Errantries [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sure they'll want to milk the cash cow as far as they can. But just because I don't want to see such bastardisations, which are increasingly further from the unique magic/style of Tolkien's work in their attempts to 'globalise' the subject (e.g. via 'the adventures of young Aragon',), using completely inappropriate vulgarity and comic-book standardisation, does not make me 'crazy'...

I don't think poster GImli meant that last to be taken literally. I do think that any filmmaker committed to making a good movie about Aragorn's early travels could add some diversity to Middle-earth and remain wholly within the original canon. Tolkien did write that Aragorn wandered far in the East and South, encountering many different people both good and evil. The author was a bit vague on detail, but that may work to a screenwriter's or director's advantage.At some point he might even befriend a Dunlending in Rohan.

Yes, such a movie has the potential to be a disaster. However, it could instead be a triumph.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 12 2016, 1:30pm)

Fake
The Shire

Dec 23 2016, 11:59pm

Post #37 of 39 (1990 views)
Shortcut
I always thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that a good movie could be made, told through flashbacks, of The Council of Elrond. Fran, Phillipa and Peter could produce, and with the right director...just a thought.

Close to the edge, down by the river.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 24 2016, 5:35am

Post #38 of 39 (1972 views)
Shortcut
I dunno about that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you mean the White Council? The Council of Elrond was the single gathering that took place days after Frodo reached Rivendell with the One Ring.

Mostly the White Council just met to discuss Sauron and his servants without taking much in the way of direct action. The main exception that I can think of is the Council of 2941, when Sauron as the Necromancer was driven out of Mirkwood. And we've already seen a version of that in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 24 2016, 5:37am)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Mar 8 2017, 4:38pm

Post #39 of 39 (1646 views)
Shortcut
Eventually [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there will be. The first six made too much money for there not to be. I personally am all for it!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.