The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
will there be more Middle Earth movies?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Bree

Nov 18 2016, 6:57pm

Post #1 of 39 (10111 views)
Shortcut
will there be more Middle Earth movies? Can't Post

I know there are rights issues but I am sure there is something they could make. I would love to see more movies in the Middle Earth Cinematic Universe

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 18 2016, 7:56pm

Post #2 of 39 (10028 views)
Shortcut
Possibly... [In reply to] Can't Post

This question comes up every couple of months or so. The screenrights encompassing The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings theoretically allows for spin-off films derived from the books as long as they don't infringe on material that is exclusive to Tolkien's other books. There is certainly some material in the LotR Appendices that holds potential for more films. My favorite example would be a movie about the great journeys and errantries of Aragorn, base on "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" in Appendix A.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 18 2016, 8:18pm

Post #3 of 39 (10017 views)
Shortcut
Would love to see more. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to see something from the First Age, like in the Silmarillion. I mean, they don't have the rights to that individual book, but the LOTR's books mentioned a lot of that history, so maybe their is a possibility for another prequel to the series.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Jeffrodo
Bree

Nov 18 2016, 10:43pm

Post #4 of 39 (9999 views)
Shortcut
Bridge movie or trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

I've long been a supporter of this, knowing of course that any new movie(s) would have to be largely invented. But look at how the Potter and Star Wars universes have continued with spin offs.

I'd love to see a series that bridges The Hobbit and LOTR, as there are sixty years between each. We could revisit the dwarves, Bilbo as he falls further into the grasp of the ring, Aragorn meeting Gandalf and becoming the man we know him to be, with Arwen and hunting Gollum. The ring wraiths could be back as evil grows in Mordor.

banaili
Bree

Nov 18 2016, 10:59pm

Post #5 of 39 (9989 views)
Shortcut
That would be utterly amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was one of the folk who wanted to see Balin and Gandalf visit Bilbo later on after the Hobbit - I wouldn't say no to seeing that on film in a bridging version! Wink And of course, in addition to all the amazing moments you mentioned, I would very much like to see Balin and co. take back Moria, however short that time was.

Goodness, what a lovely dream! Heart

DainPig
Gondor

Nov 19 2016, 1:56am

Post #6 of 39 (9963 views)
Shortcut
In the future [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see a cool adaption of Beren and Luthien, it could work.

Gimli1252
Bree

Nov 19 2016, 4:37pm

Post #7 of 39 (9919 views)
Shortcut
God No! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love PJ's Middle Earth movies and it hurts that all of the excitement and anticipation for a new project is over,
but if the studios start with prequels, sequels, reboots, soft reboots there will be no end.

I mean that, studios are like factories these days. Movies get made from a meeting board to appeal to all demographics.
For example Disney will produce STAR WARS and Marvel movies till 3017!!!!
WB tries to do the same with DC and With Harry Potter. Fantastic beasts as i read from some article was like a reference in the original books
and now they will make 5 movies from this (and they complained for the Hobbit to be three movies).

So, let the Middle Earth be, no more entries!!!!Wink

''There is one dwarf yet in Moria, who still draws breath''

Noria
Gondor

Nov 20 2016, 1:35pm

Post #8 of 39 (9751 views)
Shortcut
I would love to see one or two movies or even the inevitable trilogy. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This question comes up every couple of months or so. The screenrights encompassing The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings theoretically allows for spin-off films derived from the books as long as they don't infringe on material that is exclusive to Tolkien's other books. There is certainly some material in the LotR Appendices that holds potential for more films. My favorite example would be a movie about the great journeys and errantries of Aragorn, base on "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" in Appendix A.

I'd go see that movie in a flash. But you know that the Adventures of Aragorn would inevitably also feature Legolas. I would be all right with that, though most would probably hate it. Bloom would probably get star billing because they would have to recast Aragorn. Wink

My own favourite notion is a companion piece to LotR about the other parts of the War of the Ring, especially in the north. I would love to see see Brand and Dain defending Dale and Erebor, Thranduil's battle against the forces of Dol Guldur and even the assaults on Lorien. It's too late to do Saruman in the Shire.

(This post was edited by Noria on Nov 20 2016, 1:35pm)

squire
Half-elven

Nov 20 2016, 2:03pm

Post #9 of 39 (9758 views)
Shortcut
"the inevitable trilogy" - yes [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what gets me down about these conversations: when they remind me that for many, the phrase 'Tolkien' implies, not a deeply religious author of morally-rigorous romantic fantasy with a very limited output of completed stories, but a potentially infinite 'cinematic universe'.

In this alternate Tolkien reality, for lack of any plots, characterizations, descriptions, or overarching themes from the author, each of the many films will seemingly be marked primarily by a gigantic battle scene, and a return to the screen of well-loved actors speaking lines that would appall the writer whose name is credited with them.

Still, discussions aren't productions, and sometimes new ideas do come up. For instance, I myself would enjoy seeing a film of 'Farmer Giles of Ham' made by Terry Gilliam and starring Simon Pegg. I can't imagine the Tolkien Estate taking the position that such a charming story, self-contained and set in the same Oxfordshire that inspired the Shire, but distinctly not in "Middle-earth", is in any way "unsuitable for film." And yes, of course, I accept that Chrysophylax and Garm will have to be voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 20 2016, 5:05pm

Post #10 of 39 (9720 views)
Shortcut
Farmer Giles would be fun.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I'd opt for Derek Jacobi as Garm - I enjoy the way he characterises him on the audio CD. (BC can have Chrysophylax!)

But the story I would most like to see on film is 'Smith of Wootton Major.' Also self-contained and quiet - no battles or large-scale action - but would have the potential to be very imaginative and visually beautiful.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 20 2016, 5:29pm

Post #11 of 39 (9704 views)
Shortcut
*still wearing my "I'm with Squire!" button* // [In reply to] Can't Post

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Noria
Gondor

Nov 20 2016, 5:59pm

Post #12 of 39 (9704 views)
Shortcut
Books and movies [In reply to] Can't Post

There is now an audience that does associate Tolkien with Peter Jackson’s movies and always will, unless they read the books. That audience probably never would have read the books anyway. But I remember that there was a spike in sales of the LotR book when those movies came out and surely some of those buyers became Tolkien book fans. I know some did because they are posters here. Some younger members of my own family, to whom I gave LotR books as Christmas gifts fifteen years ago after they had seen the movies, remain book and movie fans still.

Before the LotR movies, lovers of the books like me were dismissed as nerds. Then when FotR blazed unto the screen, there were a few years when it was trendy to be a Tolkien fan, before that inevitably faded. For The Hobbit movies it was all been, there done that, and Tolkien was no longer cool, except to genuine book and/or movie fans. Nothing has really changed.

I have been a lover of Tolkien’s books for almost fifty years and the movies have existed for about a quarter of that time. I never cared that the literati dismissed the books in the decades before 2001 and I don’t care what the general public or critics think now. For me the books are a separate entity from the movies and the latter are just another version of these stories, seen through another artist’s eyes. The books are still there to be reread.

Both trilogies were made in the 21st century and the realities of movie making now had to have an impact. Those realities seem to be rather different in the 2010’s than what they were even in the early 2000’s. These movies would always be expensive to make because of the plethora of fantastic characters and places in the books requiring special effects of one sort or another to be believable on the screen. So the movies had to resonate with a wide worldwide audience and earn enough money to make it worthwhile making them. Some choices were made for that reason. Film making a business as well as an art.

Tolkien sold the movie rights to his books, which meant that some other artist's interpretation of them would be presented on the screen someday. That's how it works. In the case of LotR, Peter Jackson was the only one (aside from Bakshi) to get the rights, get the financing and get the movies made. I'm lucky that I'm happy with the results.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 20 2016, 6:50pm

Post #13 of 39 (9694 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't agree more.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..especially with this:

Before the LotR movies, lovers of the books like me were dismissed as nerds. Then when FotR blazed unto the screen, there were a few years when it was trendy to be a Tolkien fan, before that inevitably faded. For The Hobbit movies it was all been, there done that, and Tolkien was no longer cool, except to genuine book and/or movie fans. Nothing has really changed.

I have been a lover of Tolkien’s books for almost fifty years and the movies have existed for about a quarter of that time. I never cared that the literati dismissed the books in the decades before 2001 and I don’t care what the general public or critics think now. For me the books are a separate entity from the movies and the latter are just another version of these stories, seen through another artist’s eyes. The books are still there to be reread.

that I have never seen:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 20 2016, 7:54pm

Post #14 of 39 (9686 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn and Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But you know that the Adventures of Aragorn would inevitably also feature Legolas. I would be all right with that, though most would probably hate it. Bloom would probably get star billing because they would have to recast Aragorn. Wink

That would only be inevitable if such a film used Peter Jackson's continuity or included Gandalf and Aragorn's search for Gollum. However, you are certainly correct that another actor would have to portray the young Ranger Aragorn. At this point, the only realistic way to have Viggo Mortensen return is if he plays King Elessar perhaps telling the story of his early days to his children.

In Reply To
My own favourite notion is a companion piece to LotR about the other parts of the War of the Ring, especially in the north. I would love to see see Brand and Dain defending Dale and Erebor, Thranduil's battle against the forces of Dol Guldur and even the assaults on Lorien. It's too late to do Saruman in the Shire.

Yes, that might be a viable project which might also provide an opportunity to revisit Evangeline Lilly's Tauriel.

One of the most ambitious possibilities might indeed encompass a film trilogy starting with the War of the Elves and Sauron, progressing to the Fall of Númenor, and concluding with the War of the Last Alliance. However, I for one would not want to attempt such a project without being able to incorporate material from The Silmarillion, in particular "The Akallabêth" and maybe portions of Tolkien's esssay "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age".

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 20 2016, 7:57pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 20 2016, 8:08pm

Post #15 of 39 (9677 views)
Shortcut
Brainstorming [In reply to] Can't Post

If the Tolkien Estate was willing to sell the film rights, I could easily see an animated movie (for television or home video?) adapting the collection The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. It could even include a framing device with Samwise reading to his children (and maybe grandchildren).

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 20 2016, 8:09pm)

Silmaril
Rohan

Nov 21 2016, 7:47am

Post #16 of 39 (9634 views)
Shortcut
Fan Fiction [In reply to] Can't Post

The LOTR books are very detailed, there's almost everything you need for an adaption in the book. Some things had to be even cut out.
For other movies there's a lot of "Fan-fiction" needed (dialogues and stuff), and that went for "The (expanded) Hobbit" totally wrong in my opinion. I think it's hard to recognize that lovely book of Tolkien in there...

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 22 2016, 9:58pm

Post #17 of 39 (9451 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's gold in them thar books!!

Fimbrethil, Warrior Entwife

Imladris18
Lorien

Nov 23 2016, 6:14am

Post #18 of 39 (9418 views)
Shortcut
Doug Adams just tweeted: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Potential movement in the Middle-earth gridlock? #FingersCrossed"

The hype train may not have completely come to a stop yet Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 23 2016, 6:21am

Post #19 of 39 (9398 views)
Shortcut
*high five!!!* :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Silmaril
Rohan

Nov 23 2016, 8:45am

Post #20 of 39 (9404 views)
Shortcut
What does it mean? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Music Of The Hobbit book?
Complete Recordings of The Hobbit soundtrack?
Or what?

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 23 2016, 2:38pm

Post #21 of 39 (9369 views)
Shortcut
Intriguing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm, what could that mean?! Looking forward to hearing more from Doug!

Imladris18
Lorien

Nov 23 2016, 3:05pm

Post #22 of 39 (9370 views)
Shortcut
No idea, that's all he said so far. [In reply to] Can't Post

Realistically, it's probably about his Music of the Hobbit book, but there's a part of me hoping he's alluding to something bigger.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 23 2016, 3:14pm

Post #23 of 39 (9370 views)
Shortcut
The 'Middle-earth gridlock' bit is interesting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds quite specific, as if there's an actual something-or-other being discussed.

that I have never seen:

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 23 2016, 3:18pm

Post #24 of 39 (9357 views)
Shortcut
Love Farmer Giles of Ham! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would enjoy seeing the Father Christmas Letters made into a film and released around Thanksgiving or Christmas.
I would like to see it in more realistic CGI like in the Polar Express or the Adventures of Tintin.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Silmaril
Rohan

Nov 23 2016, 3:35pm

Post #25 of 39 (9357 views)
Shortcut
I'm quite sure he meant "The Music Of The Hobbit films" book [In reply to] Can't Post

but it sounded like you suspected something different and specific, a new movie for instance.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.