Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
when did you or your ancestors arrive where you live now?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: when did you or your ancestors arrive where you live now?
a looooong time ago; I'm a member of an aboriginal tribe
17th century
18th century
19th century
20th century
21st century
I don't know
I'm a mix of old & recent
what does it matter, we all came from Africa originally
what does it matter, we're all descended from Adam and Eve
View Results (43 votes)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 23 2016, 8:35pm

Post #76 of 78 (191 views)
Shortcut
Who threw me down this rabbit hole, and HOW DO I GET BACK OUT AGAIN?!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have multiple trees in multiple databases, software formats, and on multiple websites. We only had one Hochstetler entered in one tree (Dad did it) that I could recall, and that particular tree is a nightmare to navigate! I had seen on Ancestry.com that other people had worked on her line, and I just let it go at her. Reading this thread, I decided I had better go investigate for myself. Yeahhhh...those discrepancies can't be reconciled. I now know why all those people were/are claiming that your Jacob had other children, including the one married to somebody distantly connected in our tree (side branch), but I found that line of reasoning had been thoroughly debunked...in the official online database of Dad's many-tentacled scaaaary big Swiss family, of all places! Wrong Jacob. That database also helped me rule out one of the other alleged connections I'd stumbled across in the wee hours. Same wrong Jacob. I stumbled across some other familiar names, but haven't checked on them yet, or done much further exploration. Your Jacob is in there, though, and this monstrously big family has some of the very best researchers, so somebody I'm related to really is related to you. =)

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Nov 23 2016, 8:37pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2016, 8:39pm

Post #77 of 78 (186 views)
Shortcut
Marrying "outside the faith" [In reply to] Can't Post

That was looked upon far less favorably in those days. I know my grandparents started out attending Church of the Brethren, then switched to Methodist. (A lot of Methodists in my background!)

My ancestors lived in the Lancaster area before heading out to Ohio. Do you know what area your family lived in?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2016, 8:48pm

Post #78 of 78 (184 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

The genealogy researcher's nightmare! And yes, there were TWO Jacob Hochstetlers, arriving in this country two years apart! Crazy

Have you seen this site: http://www.jhfa.net/? Does any name on the "Trace Yourself" page look familiar?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.