Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Is Climate Change (Global Warming) a problem?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Is Climate Change (Global Warming) a problem?
Yes - major crisis
No - not on the grand scheme of things
Climate change? No such thing!
Other
View Results (52 votes)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 19 2016, 7:58pm

Post #126 of 149 (1125 views)
Shortcut
Representation of Data [In reply to] Can't Post

My read is that the data from the Arctic and Antarctic should probably be collated and graphed separately.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 19 2016, 8:34pm

Post #127 of 149 (1118 views)
Shortcut
It won't let me go to the link. [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently it's not available in the U.S.(?)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 19 2016, 8:37pm

Post #128 of 149 (1116 views)
Shortcut
I'm in the U.S. [In reply to] Can't Post

The link works for me. Maybe it's your browser?

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 19 2016, 8:43pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 19 2016, 10:40pm

Post #129 of 149 (1108 views)
Shortcut
You're correct! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry. I was thinking more of the disclaimer on the NSIDC site that I had read earlier:

The Near-real-time Ice and Snow Extent (NISE) data set provides daily, global maps of sea ice concentrations and snow extent. These data are not suitable for time series, anomalies, or trends analyses. They are meant to provide a best estimate of current ice and snow conditions based on information and algorithms available at the time the data are acquired. Near-real-time products are not intended for operational use in assessing sea ice conditions for navigation.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 21 2016, 5:25am

Post #130 of 149 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for all the replies. [In reply to] Can't Post

So things look bleak, but perhaps not yet desperate.

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2016, 7:03am

Post #131 of 149 (1086 views)
Shortcut
It is funny. [In reply to] Can't Post

And even my wife and my Mum ask my what the forecast is for tomorrow! "Look out the window" is my usual response. Wink I've also struggled to tell people what my job is. If I say "meteorologist" then people either talk about the Moon or weather forecasting and if I say "atmospheric scientist" I usually get blank stares back at me. I just stick to "scientist" now - nice and easy. And then we end up talking about clouds. But I guess this is a problem a lot of people face when they're asked what they do for a living. Everyone has some sort of pre-conception/stereotypical view of what a meteorologist, nurse, journalist, teacher, laborer, sales ... does.

Do you spend most of your time conducting research these days? Is it largely through instruments and computer models, or do you manage to get out in the field like that trip to South Georgia Island you went on a year or two ago (hope I got the name right)?

You are right, but I can't believe that was nearly 4 years ago! I haven't done any field work since, but I have managed to go to China and India for site visits. I only got back from India a couple of weeks ago - up at the top of Northern India near the Himalayas. Beautiful.

I rely on a lot of data already collected, and then compare that data to what is produced by a computer model. The basic idea being that the model which best matches the historical observations can be assumed to simulate (with some accuracy) the weather in the future (decades in the future, not days/weeks). Unfortunately, field work is just so expensive these days that you really need something groundbreaking to get funded to do field work. Releasing weather balloons, setting up weather stations or radar systems isn't particularly exiting for funders. Frown

Does this link work instead? I posted my last message from my phone, and I notice that Google is in the link address. Maybe if I link directly to the website you can see it?

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2016, 7:11am

Post #132 of 149 (1078 views)
Shortcut
That's all very nice [In reply to] Can't Post

But what is the weather doing tomorrow? I would like to take my dog for a walk after work...Angelic

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 21 2016, 10:18am

Post #133 of 149 (1077 views)
Shortcut
Tuesday's forecast: cloudy, with a chance of earthquakes [In reply to] Can't Post

Cloudy with a chance of earthquakes

Some earthquakes occur underneath abnormally warm patches of atmosphere that form just hours or days before the Earth starts to rumble...

And watch out for any tropical storms and low pressure weather systems heading your way.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2016, 10:50am

Post #134 of 149 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

For years, I've said there's such a thing as "earthquake weather" and have been scoffed at because I can't describe the feeling to those who don't feel it. It would be fascinating if someone actually proves scientifically that it's a real thing.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 21 2016, 4:28pm

Post #135 of 149 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Cliff Mass [In reply to] Can't Post

a local meteorologist who is pretty good at being objective about this, says yes, it's not a matter of "is it happening" but "it's too late to stop it, so now we need to learn to deal with the consequences."

He has an interesting slant on the whole natural variability vs. anthropogenic influences:

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/...limate-extremes.html

Basically he says "yes, natural variability plays a role, but the whole playing field has been shifted because of human influence."

Annael
Immortal

Nov 21 2016, 4:35pm

Post #136 of 149 (1063 views)
Shortcut
that is interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I said for years that I could smell when it was going to snow; turns out to be a real thing (with a twist):

http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/...d-smell-of-snow.html

to me, there's a "tang" in the air that doesn't occur in any other circumstances.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2016, 5:18pm

Post #137 of 149 (1061 views)
Shortcut
I used to hear people talk about 'earthquake weather' here [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't heard anyone say it for years now. From my experience it is bunkum. As are all the silly theories about the moon. And whale strandings.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 21 2016, 6:03pm

Post #138 of 149 (1061 views)
Shortcut
As Otto Piffl said: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So things look bleak, but perhaps not yet desperate.

"It shouldn't happen to a dog! Uh, I - I mean, it's a draw! Actually, the situation is hopeless, but not serious."
-Horst Buchholz, "One, Two, Three" (1961)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 21 2016, 9:11pm

Post #139 of 149 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Have you heard this one? [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of science and scientists, parts of this discussion have reminded me of the following quote:

"If an elderly but distinguished scientist says that something is possible, he is almost certainly right; but if he says that it is impossible, he is very probably wrong." - Arthur C. Clarke

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 21 2016, 9:12pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 22 2016, 3:42am

Post #140 of 149 (1027 views)
Shortcut
Wrong. wronger, wrongest [In reply to] Can't Post

One recalls Isaac Asimov's essay "The Relativity of Wrong". He points out there are degrees of wrongness. For example, the earth is not flat, nor is it a sphere, but the latter assertion is less wrong than the first.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 4:58am

Post #141 of 149 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Four years!? [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea. Next, you'll be telling me your child is 16!ShockedCrazy

It's really too bad that it's so rare to be able to go out there and monitor the real thing. But I'm jealous that you got to go near the Himalayas. I'm dying to do that sometime—get as close as I can anyway without keeling over from the altitude.

Yes! That link works. Thanks!

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 22 2016, 7:45am

Post #142 of 149 (1018 views)
Shortcut
No, but we do have a second! [In reply to] Can't Post

We welcomed another one into our family in June this year - 6 days after moving house. Shocked

I had no idea. Next, you'll be telling me your child is 16!

I didn't get particularly good pictures, unfortunately. So I don't have anything to share. I think my feet spent more time in a minibus than they did on Indian territory!

But I'm jealous that you got to go near the Himalayas.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 7:58am

Post #143 of 149 (1004 views)
Shortcut
That is ridiculous! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is vital info which has gone amiss! Heart

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 22 2016, 7:55pm

Post #144 of 149 (978 views)
Shortcut
Bunkum [In reply to] Can't Post

"The immigration rules clearly state that non-EU nationals who have received a custodial sentence of less than 12 months within the last five years will be refused on criminality grounds."

And climate change................ Tongue Wink

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 8:31pm

Post #145 of 149 (977 views)
Shortcut
Wheeee!!! Fabulous! [In reply to] Can't Post

So very happy for you, and the Mrs., and Little LB the First! But I don't envy you climbing over packing boxes looking for an emergency burp-cloth . . .ShockedEvil

Anyway, here is the celebratory cake! (Kinda squashed and mushy-looking, but after all, I sent it through the Internet . . .Evil)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Nov 22 2016, 10:59pm

Post #146 of 149 (983 views)
Shortcut
Horst Buchholz! [In reply to] Can't Post

The youngest of The Magnificent Seven. The second-youngest, and the last, Robert Vaughn, died earlier this month. I met him about ten years ago when he appeared in a production of Trumbo: Red, White, and Blacklisted, playing the title character, the screenwriter Dalton Trumbo.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 23 2016, 4:50am

Post #147 of 149 (960 views)
Shortcut
Wow - congratulations Daniel! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2016, 2:41pm

Post #148 of 149 (952 views)
Shortcut
Omigosh! Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

And what timing - I hope you moved to a larger place!

How has your family "weathered" these changes? Wink

DanielLB
Immortal

Nov 24 2016, 2:53pm

Post #149 of 149 (934 views)
Shortcut
Thank you everyone :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Her older brother absolutely adores her. We were worried he would get jealous, have lots of tantrums, that kind of thing. But he's been a star.

And, the best thing is ... they both sleep through the night! They both have done from about 8-10 weeks onwards. Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.