The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Movie Marathon Review: An Unexpected Journey Review

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Nov 12 2016, 8:29pm

Post #1 of 11 (2391 views)
Shortcut
Movie Marathon Review: An Unexpected Journey Review Can't Post

I don't know why this movie gets so much negativity. This movie is amazing. It is not as great as the LOTR trilogy but it's one heck of a movie. AUJ is the first of the Hobbit trilogy and yes it might start off slow but as it progresses it becomes a grand adventure flick with the main focus on the relationship between Bilbo and Thorin that is so wonderfully done. The call back to the LOTR is amazing and the movie all together is impressive. Going in chronological order for my movie marathon, this is a great introduction to the franchise and that is the way PJ always wanted it. This movie has flaws and there were things that I didn't like such as the following: the slapstick humor, it felt bloated, and the Azog reveal should have been at the end.
Besides all that, this is a great movie and watching it again I have gone from finding it ok to really liking it a lot. I give it an 8 out of 10.
So what do you all think? Do you agree or diasgree?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 12 2016, 8:52pm

Post #2 of 11 (2354 views)
Shortcut
Redundant topic [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you should have just posted this in the topic just below.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

DainPig
Gondor

Nov 15 2016, 10:35pm

Post #3 of 11 (2200 views)
Shortcut
Yeah great film [In reply to] Can't Post

We know this Smile

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Nov 16 2016, 3:24pm

Post #4 of 11 (2166 views)
Shortcut
I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a near-perfect movie (I've said this before), and almost impossible for me to decide between AUJ and DOS as to which is the "Best" of the trilogy. I like them both for very different reasons. The slower pace at the beginning to me was needed to set up the story, especially the prologue. I actually wrote a post asking if this movie was Bilbo's or Thorin's story, because our fellow TORNer Dainpig suggested it - it could actually go both ways. And also have debated whether Thranduil showed up to regain the jewels or responding to Dale's call for help with OS. IF a movie can inspire this level of fan contemplation and interaction, well then it's GOT to be a great film!HeartHeart

But I'm getting carried away. AUJ was also closest to the book, in both spirit and tone, and showcased the brilliant acting talents of its cast. That "Good Morning" scene between Ian McKellan & Martin Freeman - how can ANYONE complain about that??? And the whole invasion of the Dwarves in Bag-End, "Blunt the Knives" scene, such a joy! Now, some on this site have complained about the look of the various Dwarves, whether they look "Dwarvish" (yet another topic I've started a post on), and I agree that some of them look kind of weird, but I had no trouble accepting them as Dwarves, thanks to the visual efforts put into this film. My only quibble here is that the height effect wasn't as consistent in AUJ as it was in the other two - for instance, the Laketown scene in DOS - but that is a very minor quibble to me. Naturally, there are a few other things I didn't care for (totally agree with you on Azog), like I'd have preferred Radaghast to have a clean face & maybe a chariot instead of a bunny sled, but again that wasn't enough to kill my enthusiasm for this film - especially when the backdrop was some of that gorgeous NZ scenery. Have I mentioned the Eagles yet? That waterfall, wonderful!!! And any problem I might have had with the goblin tunnel chase scene (collapsing bridge) was completely made up for by the Riddles in the Dark scene. NOBODY could have done that scene better. And all that is before we even get to Thorin - okay, you knew this was comingEvilHeart Possibly the most controversial Dwarf of them all, but I must say thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU Peter Jackson for casting Richard Armitage as Thorin! Who'd have thought you could ever put the words "Hot" and "Dwarf" in the same sentence, but oooohhh yeah!!! Plus he's a great actor, every bit as good as Ian & Martin. Proud, heroic, flawed, tragic, Richard covered it all so well! Well, sadly my boss just came in so I've gotta end this (probably a good thing, I could go on about Thorin all dayWink).

I'd say I've entered my second childhood, but I never left the first!

Dwarewien
Rohan

Nov 16 2016, 11:27pm

Post #5 of 11 (2124 views)
Shortcut
I'd give it a 7... [In reply to] Can't Post

not because I hate it, but because I like DoS more (but for different reasons than I did originally, since I'm not that into Thorin anymore). Even if I really enjoy a movie, I rarely rate it as a perfect ten (the highest I'll go is a 9/10, which is what I rate the original Jurassic Park). I agree that AUJ is the most fun. We are introduced to a younger Bilbo, and of course Gollum (I would have to say that one of my favorite parts of AUJ is the riddle game; the look on Gollum's face when he is trying to guess the egg riddle is just too funny, and Bilbo catching Gollum trying to sneak in two answers: "Two guesses at once! Wrong, both times!"), as well as the company of Thorin Oakenshield. It's funny that the moment Thorin shows up is when the dwarves smarten up, as if they were about to get punished for acting so childish (probably not too far from the truth). And I still love it when Bilbo tries to save the dwarves from the trolls by trying to covince them that they're all infested by parasites. I really should watch the movies again, but I've been kind of busy with some of my other fandoms lately (most recently, Star Wars, so it looks like I will be going to the movies again this Chirstmas. Here's hoping I get another Cineplex gift card, so I can save a little money at the concession stand). Smile

"The Lord of the Rings is one of those things. If you like it, you do. If you don't, then you boo." - J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Nov 16 2016, 11:30pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 23 2016, 4:11am

Post #6 of 11 (1961 views)
Shortcut
I think I originally rated it as a 7/10 [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think that now I'd up that. Not necessarily because I've had some epiphany that it's suddenly much better, but because I've come to grips with what the movie is and what it isn't. It will never be the movie I wanted it to be. But I don't think not getting what I wanted was the root of my initial frustration, either. I still maintain that the decision to make this into a trilogy was the death knell, especially since it came after the thing was filmed! Scenes that should never have made the EE cut were suddenly bogging down the theatrical editions, the worst being the random and completely unnecessary Frodo scene.

But the movie has its brilliant moments that surpass even the LOTR movies. The good morning scene and the unexpected party are perfection. If for no other reason than that half hour, I'm glad these movies were made.

Most of all, my initial disappointment with the movie has given way to an appreciation for the parts I do like. Almost all my original complaints remain, but I overlook them now, since there's no purpose in dwelling on them. The movies are what they are, and I can't change them.

"Behold! the hope of Elvenland,
the fire of Fëanor, Light of Morn
before the sun and moon were born,
thus out of bondage came at last,
from iron to mortal hand it passed."
-The Lay of Leithian

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 25 2016, 3:31am

Post #7 of 11 (1903 views)
Shortcut
So, who tipped off Azog about Thorin? Watching the EE now. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Who did you tell?" asks Gandalf.......I don't recall the answer to that - I don't think it was answered.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 25 2016, 4:13am

Post #8 of 11 (1898 views)
Shortcut
Love the beginning scene with Frodo....for me, the Stone Giant scene [In reply to] Can't Post

is the beginning of the excess that hurts this film and all of the rest. I still think PJ needed somebody who could tell him "No, that is a bad idea" Or "this scene is too unrealistic" etc. There really beautiful gem scenes that save the film but it could have soared more with less. For me, I like the trilogy aspect, but just wish some different decisons had been made. Water under the bridge now.

The Goblin Town scened are the ones that bothers me the most with the level of excess. But, then we have the excellent Bilbo and Gollum scenes.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 25 2016, 4:16am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 25 2016, 4:32am

Post #9 of 11 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Azog (or his Master) read the clues. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So, who tipped off Azog about Thorin? Watching the EE now.
"Who did you tell?" asks Gandalf.......I don't recall the answer to that - I don't think it was answered.

Many things could have tipped Azog off. Envoys from the other Dwarf-kingdoms were making their way to the Halls of Thorin Oakenshield. That might have drawn attention all by itself. And Azog serves a Master who has access to at least one palantír and might have been able to observe some of Thorin's preparations. And less ethical Dwarves from any of the Seven Houses could have leaked information to agents of Sauron or Azog, or might have themselves been such agents.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 25 2016, 4:33am)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 25 2016, 5:01am

Post #10 of 11 (1881 views)
Shortcut
Several possibilities but it seems it was never addressed [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ is a tale of three acts from my watching...the first half that is closest to the book, the middle interlude with Elrond and Radagast and then the big CGI actions scenes of Stone Giants, Goblin Town and the pines Out of the Pan into the Fire. For me, the film loses some appeal with those over the top excesses. It does end on a nice note with the Eagles. So to score, based on thirds....10+9+6 = 25 = 8.3 score. I will have to look back at my initial scoring after the first viewings....it may have been around 8.

Funny Smaug initially looks bluish with the ending scene then the color changes to his more ruddy red and darker shades.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Nov 25 2016, 5:04am)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 26 2016, 5:50pm

Post #11 of 11 (1832 views)
Shortcut
I think Riddles in the Dark is boring. [In reply to] Can't Post

Heresy, I know. But I've never enjoyed that scene in the movie. I'm not even sure why, as it's one of my favorites from the book. But I like it from the time Bilbo escapes. The "pity" moment is quite good. And after that, I love Bilbo's speech to the dwarves.

"Behold! the hope of Elvenland,
the fire of Fëanor, Light of Morn
before the sun and moon were born,
thus out of bondage came at last,
from iron to mortal hand it passed."
-The Lay of Leithian

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.