Why so much negativism?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Omnigeek
Lorien

Nov 29 2016, 6:19am

Post #76 of 89 (1260 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure what qualifies one to answer the OP [In reply to] Can't Post

so I won't go so far as to judge who is "most qualified" but one of the reasons IMO that the negativity is so visible or repeats itself is because of the sheer state of denial and fanboi/fangirl aspect of the film's defenders. Some of the defenses have given me the impression of "I like hawt dwarves but won't admit it so I'll deny any flaws in the films themselves or that the dwarves are in anyway inconsistent with the descriptions in the text". That kind of denialism tends to provoke an obstinate counter-reaction of continuing to press the points again rather than just state them and move on.
Defending PJ's decision about talking with the eagles or having Bard understand the thrush speak but not having any problems with the rabbit sled and extended Radagast sequences is IMO a logical inconsistency that also extends the debates about the movies. So is admitting to loving the additions focused on the dwarves but then denying that any focus in the story was taken away from Bilbo -- it's just sheer denialism since focus in a book or movie is a zero-sum characteristic, you CAN'T increase focus on one subject without taking it away from another. If the poster just admitted to prefering the change in balance, I'd chalk it up to a matter of taste and press on saying "well, we just disagree" but denying the change in focus altogether elicits a counter-response to get the him/her to admit the balance WAS changed.

Isilmo
The Shire

Dec 9 2016, 2:23pm

Post #77 of 89 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Here's what I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the biggest reason for the negative reaction to all The Hobbit films is because the theatrical versions really felt incomplete. If the extended editions of these three films were released in cinemas they would be thought of far more highly. Yes this is my first post although I've been coming here for years I finally decided to join :)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Dec 9 2016, 3:15pm

Post #78 of 89 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to the TORn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was a watcher on the posts as well before I joined last year!(But I had only been watching for a short time before I joined!Wink)

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Isilmo
The Shire

Dec 9 2016, 3:28pm

Post #79 of 89 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been coming here since way back when The Lord Of The Rings were still being released. Don't know why I waited so long.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Dec 9 2016, 3:34pm

Post #80 of 89 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet it was cool reading the all the posts when LOTR's was coming out. I've only been a fan since 2010 or 2011, but I hadn't really found this forum until 2014, with all the hype of BOFA. I hadn't joined until summer of 2015, but I am glad that I did!

Hope you have fun here!Smile

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Isilmo
The Shire

Dec 9 2016, 3:41pm

Post #81 of 89 (1145 views)
Shortcut
To be honest [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember a lot from way back then,was a while ago Wink I always enjoyed The Lord Of The Rings but The Hobbit has made me become a huge Middle-Earth freak lol Now that I can sit down and watch all six,I think it's the best film saga ever! Nothing even comes close for me. I still need to read the books which I do plan to do.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Dec 9 2016, 3:48pm

Post #82 of 89 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they are the best film saga ever too!(And they are my favorites films as well!) I saw the LOTR's before the Hobbit came out, but I loved the LOTR's so much, that I was so excited over the years the Hobbit came out!(I have to admit, even if the wait was long, the preparation of the Hobbit films' releases was awesome!)

I have watched all six now too, and that is the way I want to watch them when I do a marathon!(except for last time, which we picked a Hobbit and LOTR's film on a Friday or Saturday, and watched them not in order.)

The books are fantastic! I hope you enjoy them!WinkHeart

Isilmo
The Shire

Dec 9 2016, 4:17pm

Post #83 of 89 (1136 views)
Shortcut
I'll even say this [In reply to] Can't Post

After I saw The Battle Of The Five Armies on opening night,I was a bit in shock at how I felt. I,for the first time,didn't really think much of a Middle-Earth movie. I remember telling my friend who had gone with me that I sure hoped the extended edition saved the movie. I'm happy to say that it did. That extra 20 minutes should never have been cut out to start with!

(This post was edited by Isilmo on Dec 9 2016, 4:21pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 9 2016, 4:24pm

Post #84 of 89 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Take your shoes off and stay a while!

I find so much joy in covering my cat with a blanket and watching the lump move around.

Isilmo
The Shire

Dec 9 2016, 4:29pm

Post #85 of 89 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed I think I will. I should have joined years ago.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Dec 9 2016, 4:39pm

Post #86 of 89 (1126 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed it when I first saw it, (Smaug's opening was fantastic!) I even saw it a second time and enjoyed it better. But it was after getting the DVD, that I didn't care for it as much as the other Middle-earth films. It was too.....choppy. And it was much shorter than the previous films, and I would of thought that it being the last Middle-earth film(for now) it would be longer like ROTK!

The extended edition was awesome! I loved it! I am not really one who likes blood and guts in movies, but I have to admit, I loved the War Chariot sequence!

Isilmo
The Shire

Dec 9 2016, 4:55pm

Post #87 of 89 (1124 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it twice in the theater and loved a lot of things about it but it just seemed so rushed. It felt incomplete big time. I only bought the extended edition on blu-ray and those 20 extra minutes really smoothed things out for me.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Dec 9 2016, 5:32pm

Post #88 of 89 (1117 views)
Shortcut
They really did smooth it out [In reply to] Can't Post

and gave it room to breathe. I had the same issue when I watched the Two Towers theatrical.(When I first watched them with my mom, she and I watched the extended edition)
Both of them are great movies, but even greater in complete story.

I feel that the end of BOFA was really rushed, but I think it's because ROTK had a much longer ending.(Which I loved.)

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Dec 28 2016, 10:16am

Post #89 of 89 (1042 views)
Shortcut
Ask Warner Brasil... [In reply to] Can't Post

They're the ones who made the DVD, not me... Wink

(This post was edited by LittleHobbit on Dec 28 2016, 10:17am)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.