Summary of new Beren and Luthien book edited by C. Tolkien
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 18 2016, 5:55pm

Post #26 of 32 (1324 views)
Shortcut
But you jabbered so eloquently! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm wondering how much textural history like you've written about will make it into this new book. I've just checked the publisher's website recently and they've removed the paragraph that said this was a continuous and completed text, so that confusion seems to finally be put to rest. But surely Christopher knows another HOME book won't appeal to the masses. So I'm guessing it'll be mostly made up of quite sizeable texts that show the broad strokes of evolution rather than the detailed studies from HOME. I'd assume Christopher's comments will (unfortunately) be few and far between. I find his commentaries to be just as fascinating to read as Tolkien's stories.

InTheChair
Rohan

Nov 18 2016, 11:06pm

Post #27 of 32 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Big book? Little book? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does it say anywhere how many pages this book will have? Children of Hurin had just about 300, and that left room for only the story, an index and almost no commentary.

imin
Valinor

Nov 19 2016, 9:20am

Post #28 of 32 (1292 views)
Shortcut
304 pages in the HarperCollins UK edition // [In reply to] Can't Post

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

imin
Valinor

Nov 19 2016, 9:24am

Post #29 of 32 (1296 views)
Shortcut
With this book being published [In reply to] Can't Post

With this book being published, does it push back the length of copyright over the story of beren and luthien or does edited by C.Tolkien not count? Or does it not matter and copyright only counts down when C.Tolkien passes?

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 19 2016, 1:12pm

Post #30 of 32 (1278 views)
Shortcut
And The Children of Hurin has 320 for comparison.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 19 2016, 1:13pm

Post #31 of 32 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Only affects the newly published material. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
With this book being published, does it push back the length of copyright over the story of beren and luthien or does edited by C.Tolkien not count? Or does it not matter and copyright only counts down when C.Tolkien passes?

This should have no effect on the length of copyright for any of the material presented that was previously published.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

BOSW
Bree

Dec 6 2016, 8:00pm

Post #32 of 32 (929 views)
Shortcut
300 pgs.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Disappointed by the page count, but I'm sure there'll be some new things to enjoy.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.