Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Your thoughts on Daylight Saving
Poll: Your thoughts on Daylight Saving
This devilish time-shifting should be stopped!
It's a pain but I see the point of having it
Doesn't bother me
It's worth it for the longer summer evenings
What is this 'daylight saving' you speak of?
View Results (34 votes)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 9 2016, 1:41am

Post #1 of 18 (1144 views)
Shortcut
Your thoughts on Daylight Saving Can't Post

Apparently the US peeps have done the one-hour time warp again, to mixed appreciation. What do you think about losing then gaining an hour during the year?

Gianna
Rohan

Nov 9 2016, 1:10pm

Post #2 of 18 (1051 views)
Shortcut
I have mixed feelings [In reply to] Can't Post

It might just be that I had five hours of sleep last night due to watching the US election, but I can't figure out which voting option I like best so didn't vote. Crazy I like having an extra hour of sleep in the fall even though it barely signifies. I hate having one less hour of sleep in the spring. Other than that I don't care. Laugh

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 9 2016, 2:05pm

Post #3 of 18 (1048 views)
Shortcut
Hate it. [In reply to] Can't Post

All it's good for is messing up kids' sleep schedules. And the mamas'.Mad

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 9 2016, 2:10pm

Post #4 of 18 (1046 views)
Shortcut
I'm used to it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's what we've always done, save for a few years in the 1960s? 70s? when the government decided to do away with it. Winter mornings were darker, evenings lighter. Sellers of reflective armbands prospered and we all muddled along until the next government brought it back again.

weathertop
Rohan

Nov 9 2016, 3:38pm

Post #5 of 18 (1012 views)
Shortcut
it might have made sense once, but not really anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

i don't get the point of it anymore: especially when part of the country doesn't participate in it.

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Nov 9 2016, 4:01pm

Post #6 of 18 (1007 views)
Shortcut
So what is the point of Daylight Saving? [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 9 2016, 4:37pm

Post #7 of 18 (1007 views)
Shortcut
it serves no purpose. [In reply to] Can't Post

where I live (47th parallel) we have 16 hours of daylight in summer and 16 hours of darkness in winter. Shifting that one hour doesn't change the fact that the sun comes up way too early in summer and that it's dark for the commute both morning and evening in the winter.

Sort of related note: I lived in Boise, Idaho, for a few years. TPTB decreed that southern Idaho should be part of Mountain Time, not Pacific Time. If you look at a map of the time zones http://www.worldatlas.com/.../custom/timezone.gif, it shows how this puts a "bulge" in the Mountain Time zone. What it meant for me was that the entire time I lived there, the sun came up late. I physically felt the wrongness.

(This post was edited by Annael on Nov 9 2016, 4:39pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 9 2016, 5:18pm

Post #8 of 18 (995 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't matter to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like sleeping in an extra hour in the fall, but it's a bit of a pain in the spring, but I do like seeing the sun longer in the evening.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 9 2016, 7:05pm

Post #9 of 18 (987 views)
Shortcut
Can't answer for anywhere else..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but in the UK I believe it was started during the First World War to help farmers and others who work outdoors - particularly in the north. Without it the sunrise in winter wouldn't happen until about 10 in the morning. It's about making the best use of the available daylight.

imin
Valinor

Nov 9 2016, 10:16pm

Post #10 of 18 (973 views)
Shortcut
Like it [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it, especially the one that has just happened in the UK a week or so ago. It means i get an extra hour in bed and more importantly, it means it gets light at a reasonable time (8:30ish am) rather than 9:30am which just seems too late.

At the 55th parallel it seems to make a big difference even if it is dark for 17 hours in winter and light for 17.5 hours in the summer.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 9 2016, 10:27pm

Post #11 of 18 (970 views)
Shortcut
I love it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can leave town after work in the summer, get on the trail at 6, and get in a 4-hour hike before it really gets dark.

As far as the time change, one year (1973) Nixon had the idea of going Daylight Savings all year. But in the winter the sun didn't come up until after my first class, and I ended up walking two miles to school in pitch darkness, which felt very unsafe. So I don't recommend that.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 10 2016, 7:17am

Post #12 of 18 (912 views)
Shortcut
We don't do it in Hawaii. [In reply to] Can't Post

The difference in length of days here is far less than on the mainland. So, we have to remember to add more hours in winter than in summer to figure out what time it is in a mainland time zone.

When I lived on the mainland, I hated it. Now I hate the fact that my car, computer, and other "intelligent" devices impose a non-existent Hawaii Daylight Time automatically, so we have to adjust out clocks back to what they were before.

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 10 2016, 9:30pm

Post #13 of 18 (884 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like it. Winter should be for reeeaaaallyyyyy dark mornings and evenings and Summer for reeeeaaalllyyyy light evenings and mornings. Aka don't change anything Mad
... but I guess I see the point Unsure

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 11 2016, 5:12pm

Post #14 of 18 (864 views)
Shortcut
It's a conspiracy [In reply to] Can't Post

One-third of all Americans (100 million) suffer from some sort of sleep disorder. Symptoms include apathy, confusion, and poor decision making.

Most such disorders can be easily treated simply by getting up and going to bed at the same hour. Within 6 months the symptoms disappear.

Every 6 months the US government changes the hours the American people get up and go to bed.

Also, immediately after the Daylight Savings changeover the US government holds elections. American voters are often criticized for their apathy, confusion, and poor decision making at election time.

Coincidence? I think not!!

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2016, 6:18pm

Post #15 of 18 (856 views)
Shortcut
What Darkstone said! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOLZ!!!Tongue

Kilidoescartwheels
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2016, 6:20pm

Post #16 of 18 (851 views)
Shortcut
I'd love it if we'd stop doing it [In reply to] Can't Post

Nobody has been able to convince me that we really "save energy" by doing this. More daylight in the evening = less in the morning, so I STILL have to turn the lights on!

Calenleya
Bree

Nov 12 2016, 2:33am

Post #17 of 18 (843 views)
Shortcut
Stop it, please? [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in northern Sweden, so this one hour doesn't do much at all. I was working the nightshift and had the pleasure of working 11 instead of 10 hours that night....Crazy

Omnigeek
Lorien

Nov 29 2016, 6:26am

Post #18 of 18 (710 views)
Shortcut
Playing with clocks in the 21st century is just stupid [In reply to] Can't Post

Daylight Savings made sense when Franklin proposed it in the 18th century. It makes utterly no sense in today's age. In fact, the concept of time zones is somewhat antiquated. I would much prefer everyone just used Universal Time-Coordinated (UTC) aka Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and then set hours accordingly. When you look at a time zone map, it's hard to imagine a more ridiculous global creation.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.