The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
*hugs TORN's server*

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2016, 6:13pm

Post #1 of 22 (1597 views)
Shortcut
*hugs TORN's server* Can't Post

Don't DO that to us! Do you need anything? Chicken soup? A blankie? *Anything* to keep you healthy and moving, we'll get to you.

Evil

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

squire
Half-elven

Nov 7 2016, 6:19pm

Post #2 of 22 (1542 views)
Shortcut
Pat's server's head [In reply to] Can't Post

Good server! Good. Yes. Yes.

NO! Drop it. DROP IT! No, don't eat that...

Argh! No, not...

Uck.

Honey, could you get some paper towels and newspaper and bring me the steam cleaner?

Don't look guilty at me, server. You know what you did. But OK, you'll feel better soon.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 7 2016, 6:29pm

Post #3 of 22 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Was that a server issue? [In reply to] Can't Post

I kept getting an error message when trying to access the page and assumed it was my computer. I spent ages trying to fix it via command prompt and erased my browser data and changed my LAN settings and everything... Laugh

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2016, 6:37pm

Post #4 of 22 (1524 views)
Shortcut
Knowing where it's located... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I had wondered if the massive influx of Cubs fans into that area had caused some sort of power outage!

I wonder if a bit of espresso would help...or ice cream, gramma says that fixes anything...Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2016, 7:11pm

Post #5 of 22 (1520 views)
Shortcut
A drive failed [In reply to] Can't Post

and Corvar (one of TORN's Powers That Be) had to rebuild it. Bless his cotton socks. :)

BTW if anyone would like to show their appreciation by helping TORN's volunteers keep the website operating, they have a donation page set up in PayPal.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 7 2016, 7:13pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 7 2016, 7:13pm

Post #6 of 22 (1519 views)
Shortcut
Once again, Corvar saved the day [In reply to] Can't Post

According to him a drive failed. He couldn't fix it remotely, and since the server is located a bit away from where he lives, and since it decide to fail on a weekend, he had to wait until today when he could physically be on-site to fix it.

All better now.

*gives the server, the drive and Corvar big bear hugs* SmileHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Lissuin
Valinor

Nov 7 2016, 7:18pm

Post #7 of 22 (1513 views)
Shortcut
So, now I know for sure what I'll miss most [In reply to] Can't Post

when gigantic sunspots destroy all electronic what's-its on earth.
EvilHeart
Whew! That was traumatic. eh? Shocked
Have a nice day, y'all!

And yes, big bear hug to Corvar.Smile
Cheers, mate!

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Nov 7 2016, 7:22pm)

Ciars
Rohan

Nov 7 2016, 7:31pm

Post #8 of 22 (1504 views)
Shortcut
Server Woes [In reply to] Can't Post

I really didn't like that fatal error message! Glad Corvar was able to defeat the fatal error in the end, hopefully the server has been persuaded to behave from now on! Errors are fine, so long as they're not fatal *shudders*.

Ettelewen
Rohan

Nov 7 2016, 7:56pm

Post #9 of 22 (1497 views)
Shortcut
Whew! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was going through withdrawals... I need my daily fix!

Thank you thank you.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2016, 9:16pm

Post #10 of 22 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness. [In reply to] Can't Post

This place leaves an awfully big hole when it's not there. Fervent thanks to Corvar for rescuing the server (and us!) from its distress.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2016, 9:16pm

Post #11 of 22 (1487 views)
Shortcut
Send Corvar [In reply to] Can't Post

over, I have a ton of things that needed fixing yesterday...I can pay in coffee and left over halloween candy...maybe vodka...

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

(This post was edited by Donry on Nov 7 2016, 9:17pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 7 2016, 9:33pm

Post #12 of 22 (1477 views)
Shortcut
Plop, plop, fizz, fizz [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFmkL8TqN4c

I wasn't sure how much longer I could stand the suspense.Pirate Kudos to Corvar!!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 8 2016, 12:59am

Post #13 of 22 (1456 views)
Shortcut
Whew, it's conscious again! [In reply to] Can't Post

And with that, all's right with the world again. Until the election results come in tomorrow night, anyway...

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Kim
Valinor

Nov 8 2016, 4:20am

Post #14 of 22 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Phew! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad I saw the post on FB before coming out here and seeing a fatal error! Thanks to Corvar for fixing it!

"All we have to decide is what to do in the time that is given us."

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 8 2016, 5:48am

Post #15 of 22 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Crikey [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the most major blip I have ever seen.
Not that I have been checking...constantly...Shocked

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 8 2016, 7:44am

Post #16 of 22 (1435 views)
Shortcut
That donation link dosn't work. [In reply to] Can't Post

After several tries, I went to the big Donate button on the left of the screen and did my part. We love our server. We love Corvar and our Admins, too! Heart

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 8 2016, 9:21am

Post #17 of 22 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Three cheers for Corvar.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And a pat on the head for the server and the poorly drive....

That was awful - I missed you all so much! Blush

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 8 2016, 1:33pm

Post #18 of 22 (1420 views)
Shortcut
All Hail Corvar!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, man. We really appreciate it! Rebuilding drives ain't always easy, hope it wasn't too bad.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 8 2016, 5:04pm

Post #19 of 22 (1405 views)
Shortcut
Ah! [In reply to] Can't Post

May the stars shine brightly upon Corvar!

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 8 2016, 5:33pm

Post #20 of 22 (1399 views)
Shortcut
Goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

I leave town for a couple of weeks and bad things happen! Should I let y'all know the next time I'm going to leave town and not be logging in to TORN several times a day?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8 2016, 6:22pm

Post #21 of 22 (1385 views)
Shortcut
Well that's annoying. [In reply to] Can't Post

It worked when I tested it yesterday. But yeah, the donate button is the way to go.Smile

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8 2016, 6:24pm

Post #22 of 22 (1388 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a guy I know. [In reply to] Can't Post

I volunteer for the region's civil defence group and whenever we've had an emergency, such as tornadoes or a flood, this guy - who manages the public information team - has been on holiday. We get twitchy whenever he applies for leave.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.