The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Middle-earth Marathons

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 5 2016, 5:12pm

Post #1 of 13 (2187 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth Marathons Can't Post

On Thursday I watched The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy back-to-back - it took me from 6:30am to 2am the next morning. I found that with The Hobbit trilogy, especially, it was a much more emotional viewing than when watching one movie every night, for example. So I wondered if anyone else who has done this found the same as me? Did you appreciate the continuous references in TH to LOTR more than usual? Any thoughts?

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

noWizardme
Half-elven

Nov 5 2016, 5:57pm

Post #2 of 13 (2148 views)
Shortcut
Nearest I did to that was to power read LOTR book as a child [In reply to] Can't Post

A bit like this

(Small Boy reading by Gluyas Williams, animated GIF from http://boristhebelligerent.tumblr.com/post/17873731324

I think I was permanently altered
Smile

~~~~~~
The Sixth read-through of LOTR continues until Christmas. All chapters now have volunteer leaders. Schedule here; http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=916172#916172

A wonderful list of links to previous chapters in the LOTR read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 5 2016, 7:43pm

Post #3 of 13 (2138 views)
Shortcut
Haven't done an all dayer yet, Ingwion, [In reply to] Can't Post

but, I have watched each one back to back at night.(Usually if Extended, I watch a part a night.) But these last three weeks my family and I have been watching them in a different way. First week, watched all of the Extended Fellowship on a Friday Night, then all Extended Desolation on Saturday night. Last week, Two Towers and Unexpected Journey, both Extended and on Friday and Saturday night, and yesterday watched Return of the King and planning on watching BOFA tonight. Not exactly in order like I like, but it's been really fun!WinkSmile

Maybe one day I will watch them all in one day!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 5 2016, 10:15pm

Post #4 of 13 (2123 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Reminds me of myself Laugh

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 5 2016, 10:17pm

Post #5 of 13 (2122 views)
Shortcut
It is tough [In reply to] Can't Post

As you're not moving at all for a whole day (poor Ingwion's legs rotted and decayed away), but I found it was worth it. I don't think I'll be doing it again anytime soon, though Laugh

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 6 2016, 1:12am

Post #6 of 13 (2104 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine, as I get really fidgety after a while!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Silmaril
Rohan

Nov 8 2016, 7:50am

Post #7 of 13 (2077 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel / Arwen heling scene [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion the references in TH were bad for LOTR. The Tauriel healing scene for instance reduces the experience of the scene with Arwen.

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Nov 8 2016, 8:05am)

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 8 2016, 5:15pm

Post #8 of 13 (2053 views)
Shortcut
Oh I hate that [In reply to] Can't Post

But personally I don't think it was a reference to LOTR as much as pure laziness to think up something else. Why not take out the poison element and get someone (Tauriel, if necessary) to heal Kili normally? A lot more realistic. After all, if a lowly Silvan elf could do this Arwen could have done this in her sleep without Elrond's help.

This is similar to the way Kili-Tauriel detracts from Gimli-Galadriel.

Silmaril
Rohan

Nov 9 2016, 1:01pm

Post #9 of 13 (2032 views)
Shortcut
I like Evangeline Lilly a lot... [In reply to] Can't Post

and she looked great as Tauriel, but most of her storyline (among others) were not my cup of tea, to put it nicely. Why all this bad fan-fiction?

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 9 2016, 5:22pm

Post #10 of 13 (2022 views)
Shortcut
I know...... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the only reason is they needed extra material to fill a trilogy

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 6 2016, 3:23pm

Post #11 of 13 (1604 views)
Shortcut
I've done a few ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't done as many as I'd like because I set up nearly impossible requirements for myself.
--Gotta have at least 2 days without interruptions.
--Gotta have fresh batteries in the remote.
--Gotta have a dark room.
--Gotta have appropriate comfort food that's not noisey to eat.
--Gotta have a fresh box of tissues.

The 2 days of no interruptions or distractions has been the hardest to set up. BUT I will be doing a LotR/Hobbit marathon very very soon!

I won't watch the marathons on TV because the advertisements and format drive me crazy!! And I can't watch the films piecemeal. I can watch one of them clear through and not as a marathon. That's okay :) But I won't watch them a bit here and a bit there. It's gotta be the whole film clear through... including the credits.

I've averaged about 1 marathon a year:
--I've done 4 theatre marathons for LotR... one of them I arranged with my local theatre as a fund-raiser for the county's Autism Society.
--I've done 1 theatre marathon for The Hobbit when BoFA was released. I hope to do many more of those!
--I've done 2 LotR marathons with TORnsibs when we met up at one of our homes.
--I've done 6 home LotR marathons since 2004.

The one coming up very very soon will be over 2 days starting with The Hobbit and then LotR... all extended editions. I start VERY early in the morning and go until they're done. Seriously... I don't remember what time they finish. I'm usually just sitting there in the dark for a long time, then go straight to bed.

It usually takes me a couple of days to decompress after a marathon. It's a very emotional journey that I cherish each and every time. And I really do get so much more out of the stories/films each and every time. The music is as much of a charge to my heart as anything. By the end of each set of stories as the music ends... I'm pretty much a mess.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 6 2016, 3:28pm)

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Dec 14 2016, 10:19pm

Post #12 of 13 (1344 views)
Shortcut
I'll probably do this once I'm done with school! [In reply to] Can't Post

Until then, that's virtually impossible. Frown

I'm not a Psychopath, I'm a High-Functioning Sociopath, do your research.
But I don't regret, nor will I forget, all who took that road with me. Night is now falling, so ends this day. The road is now calling and I must away. Over hill, and under tree, through lands where never light has shined. I turned at last to paths that lead home.

Fake
The Shire

Dec 24 2016, 1:17am

Post #13 of 13 (1288 views)
Shortcut
Used to... [In reply to] Can't Post

...watch LOTR straight thru on Christmas day. Haven't been in the mood to do so last few years.

Close to the edge, down by the river.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.