Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Cats
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Cats
I love cats! I consider myself a cat person!
I like cats, and enjoy having one or two as pets.
Cats are ok. I tolerate them.
I'm not really a cat person.
I don't like cats.
Cats?! Please no, I prefer dogs!
View Results (43 votes)

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 8 2016, 3:53pm

Post #26 of 49 (526 views)
Shortcut
I don't find them arrogant [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy having a pet who considers themself my equal.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 8 2016, 3:59pm

Post #27 of 49 (525 views)
Shortcut
I can agree about dogs being needy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't see our German shepherd that way, but our other two dogs. (shudder)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 8 2016, 4:03pm

Post #28 of 49 (526 views)
Shortcut
I would like to have a cat [In reply to] Can't Post

But my dad is allergic to them, and he isn't a cat person, so that rules that out. I've also wanted an outside cat, but we live on a dangerous road, so that also rules that out too.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 8 2016, 5:11pm

Post #29 of 49 (520 views)
Shortcut
I don't think cats consider themselves our equals [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they consider themselves vastly superior to all beings on earth.
(My cat made me write this.)
Laugh

Gianna
Rohan

Nov 8 2016, 8:55pm

Post #30 of 49 (511 views)
Shortcut
I am not a cat person at ALL. [In reply to] Can't Post

I blame it on L.M. Montgomery, who drives me crazy with her elegies to grey slinky mysterious please stop already cats. Laugh

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 8 2016, 9:39pm

Post #31 of 49 (506 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

My dad isn't a cat person either!! There might have been one or two that he had liked, but in general..no.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Nov 8 2016, 11:59pm

Post #32 of 49 (502 views)
Shortcut
I'm definitely a cat person... [In reply to] Can't Post

and the funny thing is, I'm not the only one in my family, since one of my aunts and her daughter (also named Lisa, but not after me) are also cat people. My cousin has two cats. Most of the rest of my family prefer dogs. Though my apartment allows cats, my mom doesn't think I keep my apartment clean enough to get a pet. I also seemed to have moved into the cat neighborhood, since there are cats in my apartment, across the street, in some other apartments down the street, since I often see them in the window when I'm walking home. When my mom does allow me to have a cat, it's a good thing I kept all my cat stuff from when I did have one (I'll just have to buy food and litter, since I still have everything else).

I don't mind dogs, I'm just more of a cat person. One of the neighbor's dogs always barks when I'm walking past their house, as if to say "Hello". It's a big white dog, so you can even see him in the dark (I get home around eight, when it's quite dark, more so now due to the time change).Smile

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 9 2016, 1:18pm

Post #33 of 49 (480 views)
Shortcut
My cousin loves cats too. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's helpful because her mom has a bunch of cats living at her house, so there always seems to be a litter of kittens every year, so there are always cats at her house!

And that is a good thing that you will have everything you need when you get a cat. It's always good to be prepared with pets!Wink

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 9 2016, 4:49pm

Post #34 of 49 (476 views)
Shortcut
shepherds are cool [In reply to] Can't Post

mine was happy if she was WITH me. None of that sitting on your lap or whining for attention, just . . . hangin' out together. Her favorite thing was to go hiking with me; second favorite was for me to be out gardening and she would just be in the yard nearby. If I'd been gone, we had a greeting ritual in which she would leap about me (not on; leaping ON was not allowed, so she jumped past me a few times) and I would pet her and talk to her; if I'd been gone longer than normal, she needed maybe 5 minutes more of "hands on the dog," neck and back scratches, and then she was good.

My idea of a great relationship, actually.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 9 2016, 5:11pm

Post #35 of 49 (472 views)
Shortcut
Awwww [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how shepherds are so loyal to their families. And they are very loving and you know that they want love in return. Ours is that way as well, and she gets excited to see us everytime we come home from somewhere.

I think they are beautiful dogs.

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 10 2016, 1:32am

Post #36 of 49 (464 views)
Shortcut
I think they're beautiful too [In reply to] Can't Post

the lovely girl in this picture looks a lot like mine:

http://stories.barkpost.com/...r-e1468865941619.jpg

Funny; when I show this picture to people a lot of them say "what dog"?

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 10 2016, 12:35pm

Post #37 of 49 (440 views)
Shortcut
When cats have a family reunion... [In reply to] Can't Post

and then go their photos on the TV...

LaughLaughLaugh

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 10 2016, 1:08pm

Post #38 of 49 (431 views)
Shortcut
Awww, what a pretty girl. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how you can tell by a male or female shepherd, cause the males look so masculine and tough, where the females look elegant and graceful.

Our shepherd, Gypsy, was the runt of her family, but she was a cute puppy, and has grown into a pretty dog. She looks similar to the one in the picture that you sent, except she has darker brown fur and has more black on her body.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 10 2016, 1:09pm

Post #39 of 49 (432 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great picture!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 10 2016, 6:19pm

Post #40 of 49 (420 views)
Shortcut
Love it! / [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2016, 11:57pm

Post #41 of 49 (411 views)
Shortcut
dawgs [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard there are two kinds of sheepdogs... the pointy eared ones that look like wolves (german shepherds, shelties, collies, border collies etc) and the big white dogs that look like sheep (kommondore, maremma sheepdog, great pyrenees, akbash, anatolians, kuvasz).

Samoyeds were used for herding (reindeer) as well as sledding.

I'm very fond of the nature of the prick eared dogs, closer to Wolf than most other types.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2016, 12:07am

Post #42 of 49 (417 views)
Shortcut
Leo [In reply to] Can't Post

...so, inherent cat person.

As a kid, all the animals were kept outside, which meant cats flattened on the Davidsburg Deathway on a regular basis.

Now, they live indoors, much safer for them and wildlife. I can't sleep without them, unless I'm in a tent.

The dogs I have been most attracted to are the primitive, wolflike ones... the ones that are actually closer to the character of Cat. Independent minded beasts like whippets, greyhounds and other sighthounds and northern dogs like my Siberians.

I've always been a large dog person too, until someone gave me Max, a 16 pound, 10 year old Schipperke going blindish from cataracts. He was a floor pooper no matter what you did so he lived in the kennel with the Siberians, got his own harness, and ran with them (at his speed, of course, a nice brisk trot... and when he tired, he rode in the backpack in the basket).

http://www.swordwhale.com/...054/3197499_orig.jpg

http://www.swordwhale.com/...054/6265259_orig.jpg

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2016, 12:07am

Post #43 of 49 (412 views)
Shortcut
that was [In reply to] Can't Post

Sindarin in Max's harness...

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 17 2016, 8:10pm

Post #44 of 49 (359 views)
Shortcut
Pretty cat. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it when cats get really close to family dogs and love them. My mom's cat loves her dog. I was watching them play together yesterday. :)

My family are large dog people though, even though my mom's dog is a Cocker Spaniel, but he is beautiful.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2016, 6:03pm

Post #45 of 49 (346 views)
Shortcut
dawgs and kittehs [In reply to] Can't Post

I know any number of people who have both Siberian huskies and cats, living together in harmony...

...under supervision.

Northern breeds have a high prey drive, so supervision around small animals (and small children) is essential. They are quite friendly toward humans of any age, but a small child can trigger the prey drive if they run and squeal, so again, supervise your kids around any dogs of any breed.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 18 2016, 8:06pm

Post #46 of 49 (340 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

We have three dogs, so I can understand that when one is a full German Shepherd. Her mom belongs to friends of ours, and her owner had warned my brother(who loves dogs with a passion) to be careful around her, because if nervous, she could snap at any moment.

On a light note, I think Siberian huskies are beautiful animals. Would love to have one, but live in a warmer state, so it would be a little more miserable to them.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2016, 5:36am

Post #47 of 49 (327 views)
Shortcut
Siberians [In reply to] Can't Post

aren't really difficult to keep in warmer zones. They tend to be lean and wiry of build and lighter of coat than say, a Samoyed or Malamute (both heavier built dogs). I met my first Siberians on Chincoteague Island in VA. They still love air conditioning.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 21 2016, 1:09pm

Post #48 of 49 (322 views)
Shortcut
Well that is good to hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now if it ever came to be, I wouldn't feel so bad having one!Wink

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2016, 7:25pm

Post #49 of 49 (293 views)
Shortcut
A cat is my patronus (really!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I love animals, particularly the companion kind, and liken them to books. Dogs are open, their pages flapping with bright illustrations. Cats are fine print in closed books. Do not judge them by their cover, though: there's often a lot of personality sheltering behind that standoffish pose. When you've earned their trust, their affection and playfulness and curiosity is joyful.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.