Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Cats
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Cats
I love cats! I consider myself a cat person!
I like cats, and enjoy having one or two as pets.
Cats are ok. I tolerate them.
I'm not really a cat person.
I don't like cats.
Cats?! Please no, I prefer dogs!
View Results (43 votes)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 5 2016, 2:23pm

Post #1 of 49 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Cats Can't Post

How do you react to cats or what kind of person would you be with a cat?

I consider myself being in between option one or two. I love my mom's cat, but I wouldn't consider myself being obsessed with cats.Wink

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 5 2016, 2:39pm

Post #2 of 49 (941 views)
Shortcut
Aside from [In reply to] Can't Post

Queen Beruthiel's cats, I like them! Wink

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 5 2016, 3:08pm

Post #3 of 49 (931 views)
Shortcut
Most people who know me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...would pick option 1 on my behalf (bit odd for a mouse, I know, but life's a confusing business!)

I've chosen 2. I love my own cats and have always had either one or two of them. But I react to unknown cats much as I react to unknown people. I don't instinctively love them all. I will normally talk to strange cats in the way some people talk to dogs, but if I don't know them I respect their space and leave them decide if they want to be friendly. And I have known a few - just a few - that I really didn't like.

My favourite cats, apart from my own, are the cats of Twitter, who add endless amusement and not a little cuteness to the mix!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 5 2016, 5:27pm

Post #4 of 49 (932 views)
Shortcut
Cats are like kids. [In reply to] Can't Post

I only like my own. Tongue

Everyone else's are annoying and spoiled. Angelic

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 5 2016, 6:03pm

Post #5 of 49 (906 views)
Shortcut
Both my wife and I grew up around cats (and dogs)... [In reply to] Can't Post

We like having cats around, but two at a time are enough. Cool

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 5 2016, 7:29pm

Post #6 of 49 (889 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 5 2016, 7:35pm

Post #7 of 49 (889 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been a few cats who have acted so sweet, that they had won my heart because of how vocal and gentle they are.

I do love cat memes though!Wink

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 5 2016, 7:35pm

Post #8 of 49 (888 views)
Shortcut
Haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 5 2016, 7:37pm

Post #9 of 49 (886 views)
Shortcut
I can agree with that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think two would be enough. My mom only has one, (who is extremely arrogant, but you can't help but love him) but sometimes I wish she had two!Wink

My family are more dog people though( We have three).

Annael
Immortal

Nov 5 2016, 10:36pm

Post #10 of 49 (871 views)
Shortcut
I like animals [In reply to] Can't Post

I just got a kitten who is a total delight, after losing my Mandu that I had for 12 years (he was a rescue so we don't know how old he really was). We have another cat already. But for most of my life it's been dogs. I love 'em both.

For years I thought I was a "big dog" person (we always had labs & German shepherds) but I've been dogsitting smaller dogs and find them quite charming too.

I've also had birds and various types of rodents; I like snakes; and I love horses. Never had one of my own but lived with people who had them and got to ride all the time. I just like their smell. I enjoy watching wildlife every chance I get.

So when people ask if I'm a dog or a cat person I just say "yes."

(This post was edited by Annael on Nov 5 2016, 10:39pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 6 2016, 1:16am

Post #11 of 49 (852 views)
Shortcut
On the mention of German Shepherds, [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that breed of dog. We have one, which we had got last year, when she was still somewhat of a puppy. They are beautiful dogs, and she is just a beautiful creature.

I'm sorry about your pet.Frown I think it's hard losing a pet, because they are so much part of one's life. But I am glad that your kitten is so delightful!Heart

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 6 2016, 4:50am

Post #12 of 49 (847 views)
Shortcut
My dog is petrified of German Shepherds [In reply to] Can't Post

He has never had a bad experience with one.
I don't know why he is so frightened of them. Maybe he thinks they are wolves...

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 6 2016, 4:59am

Post #13 of 49 (843 views)
Shortcut
I've had cats all my life, but I'm not that keen on them [In reply to] Can't Post

My mother and my sister are real cat people. I've had lots of cats over the years I have loved for sure. But cats are so annoying! And totally up themselves.
I often ended up with cats because I was living in rental properties where dogs were not allowed. And I think it is essential to share one's home with at least one living creature, even if it is an arrogant cat!

My current cat is pretty cool, but I think she will be my last. I will probably get a second dog once she is gone.

Give me a dog or a horse any day.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 7 2016, 6:16pm

Post #14 of 49 (841 views)
Shortcut
Or furry giants. [In reply to] Can't Post

To be fair, Midgy would come up to their ankle...

(I kid - their knee.)

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 7 2016, 6:37pm

Post #15 of 49 (825 views)
Shortcut
Not really a cat person// [In reply to] Can't Post

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 7 2016, 9:02pm

Post #16 of 49 (815 views)
Shortcut
I do enjoy cats, but I can agree [In reply to] Can't Post

they can be so arrogant, so my family are more dog people. Even though there are a few horse lovers in our house!(me included.)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Nov 7 2016, 9:04pm

Post #17 of 49 (811 views)
Shortcut
They do look wolfish [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink I know ours does, but she has much larger ears than your usual German shepherd or wolf.Heart I love it.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 7 2016, 9:17pm

Post #18 of 49 (809 views)
Shortcut
they do indeed look like wolves [In reply to] Can't Post

when they herd sheep they act as living fences; they don't herd like border collies do, but instead stand guard and the sheep won't go past them - I always think this must be because they just look like predators. In fact they are very protective of those in their care. Having no sheep, my dog took on the guardianship of the neighborhood cats, and they all seemed to know it and liked to hang around with her.

One time we were walking on the beach and a coyote came out on the bluff above and kept barking at my dog. He didn't bark at any of the other dogs that were around. I think that from 80 feet up she looked like another coyote and he was saying "hey! What are you doing with those humans? Come up here!"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 7 2016, 9:25pm

Post #19 of 49 (809 views)
Shortcut
I'm very much a cat person. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't find them arrogant rather than self-contained. When a cat gives you their time and attention, you've earned it (or they're hungry). Laugh

I like dogs, but boy they can be needy.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 7 2016, 11:01pm

Post #20 of 49 (801 views)
Shortcut
I love cats but I'm done having them as pets. [In reply to] Can't Post

My last cat was a bad cat. After 12 years of stepping her poop on the library floor, when she died I was kind of relieved (not to mention that she peed on my life-sized standee of Aragorn.) I collect plush cats now. They're very well-behaved.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 8 2016, 1:17am

Post #21 of 49 (788 views)
Shortcut
I've had many cats over the years [In reply to] Can't Post

I love animals in general, but have mostly owned cats because of being able to leave them alone while going to work and so on, and because stray cats kept showing up in my yard and adopting me. I'm currently down to four furry housemates and no new strays have turned up in the neighborhood for a long time, so hopefully this is it for awhile. Smile

cats16
Valinor

Nov 8 2016, 6:13am

Post #22 of 49 (774 views)
Shortcut
Yet another cat poll goes by... [In reply to] Can't Post

*licks paws*

One day my time will come.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 8 2016, 10:33am

Post #23 of 49 (769 views)
Shortcut
I love cats, but . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't live with one because I am allergic to them. I tried for years, but eventually had to give in to the reality. I pet cats when I see them in people's homes or in small shops (which I love to see).

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 8 2016, 1:18pm

Post #24 of 49 (752 views)
Shortcut
Cats and Politics - Henri the Existential Cat: Politique [In reply to] Can't Post

A little election day visit with everybody's favorite cat philosopher:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvQPzmoKuBk

Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 8 2016, 1:51pm

Post #25 of 49 (749 views)
Shortcut
Yes - this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't find cats arrogant either - I enjoy (and am amused by) their independent streak. And when a cat comes to you, or stays with you, you know it's a free choice.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.