The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
How to wrap text around pictures in a post

Ilmatar
Rohan

Oct 26 2016, 6:08pm

Post #1 of 17 (1952 views)
Shortcut
How to wrap text around pictures in a post Can't Post

I would like to know if there is a way to include a (tall, vertical) picture in a board post so that the text would "wrap around" or run smoothly next to the picture? So there would not be all that huge, long emptiness alongside the picture, and instead the body of text would flow side by side with it. I have known how to do that in some other forums long ago, but don't remember how.

Actually I know there must be a way because I have seen this often in posts by News from Bree / Quickbeam, for example here. From that post it seems like it might be easier to put a picture to the right side of the post, and the text settles nicely on its left side. Pictures on the left side seem to require an empty space on their right side.

Could an admin help me learn to do what News from Bree can do? Smile

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Oct 26 2016, 6:10pm)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Oct 26 2016, 8:51pm

Post #2 of 17 (1910 views)
Shortcut
Unless... [In reply to] Can't Post

...It's a secret, only revealed to a chosen few...? ShockedTongue

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 26 2016, 8:58pm

Post #3 of 17 (1909 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe that's possible to do from a discussion board post. [In reply to] Can't Post

The News from Bree posts are put into a template for the home page that is then shared to the boards, so the post carries over the layout (and errors galore) from that template. However we don't have access to that template from the discussion boards.

I'm happy to be corrected by someone more in the know, though.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ilmatar
Rohan

Oct 26 2016, 9:06pm

Post #4 of 17 (1905 views)
Shortcut
Ah, OK :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Ataahua. I was curious to know if it can be done for normal posts, but will manage without, of course. Smile

(And would still be interested in case someone knows how it could be done, if it can. )

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 26 2016, 9:17pm

Post #5 of 17 (1905 views)
Shortcut
I've never succeeded [In reply to] Can't Post

when we open a NfB post to edit it for any reason, a lot of that extra formatting vanishes, never to be recovered.

The board will tolerate HTML, so you might be able to do something with HTML formatting tags, but you'd have to do it in Basic Editor and make sure that you select that as your formatting type from the "Post Style" drop-down menu above the posting window. Advanced Editor only uses Markup, and I don't know enough about it to tell you if there are tags that will do what you want.

If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know.
Tongue

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Ilmatar
Rohan

Oct 26 2016, 9:28pm

Post #6 of 17 (1899 views)
Shortcut
Not only my problem then ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to know the very basics of HTML formatting, but it's been ages.... Maybe I will experiment here sometimes.

Thank you - I will keep that in mind! Tongue

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 26 2016, 10:31pm

Post #7 of 17 (1910 views)
Shortcut
I'm not an admin but..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Use "HTML" or "Markup and HTML" Post Style, then type:

[left arrow sign]IMG BORDER="0" ALIGN="Left" SRC="yourimage.jpg"[right arrow sign] Your Text

Followed by [left arrow sign]br clear="all"/[right arrow sign]

(Of course substitute the character "<" for "[left arrow sign]" and the character ">" for "[right arrow sign]".)

For example:

blah-blah-blah, yadda-yadda-yadda, yak-yak-yak, Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country, etc., etc.

If you want the text on the right use "right" instead of "left" in the command line above.

For example:

blah-blah-blah, yadda-yadda-yadda, Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country, etc., etc.

Hope this helps!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Oct 26 2016, 10:35pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 26 2016, 10:57pm

Post #8 of 17 (1895 views)
Shortcut
Ooops! [In reply to] Can't Post

That should be 'If you want the picture on the right use "right" instead of "left" in the command line above.'

Sorry!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Ilmatar
Rohan

Oct 27 2016, 7:22am

Post #9 of 17 (1874 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, but having problems [In reply to] Can't Post

[<]IMG BORDER="0" ALIGN="Right" SRC="daisy_1.JPG"[>]text text text[<]br clear="all"/[>]

I don't know what's wrong. My post style is now "Markup and HTML" - I tried just HTML too - but all I see is the code (with errors, I suppose?). And in order to access the photo on my computer, I attached it to the post, but not "Inline". Was that a mistake? But how else would the code "know" where to look for a photo that is not online?

Let's try the same with line breaks...

[<]IMG BORDER="0" ALIGN="Right" SRC="daisy_1.JPG"[>]
text text text
[<]br clear="all"/[>]

Maybe I just don't have what it takes. *sigh* Thank you very much, in any case, and apologies for the trouble...!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
dernwyn here, editing this post:
test test test

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Oct 27 2016, 11:43am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 27 2016, 11:49am

Post #10 of 17 (1864 views)
Shortcut
Hm, okay, I see the problem - but there's another problem [In reply to] Can't Post

Ilmatar, I just edited your post, and found that you'd needed to replace ALL of "[left arrow sign]" with "<", brackets included. But it still wasn't showing the image - until I remembered that SRC refers to a weblink, not an uploaded image.

So if the daisy picture can be found at, say, http://www.daisy.com, then you'd use that in the quotes after SRC=.

With an inline picture, you have to use [inline daisy picture.jpg] - making sure there's no spaces in the jpg's name. Which I did, just in front of testtesttest, to get the picture to show.

But I don't know how to get the text directly across from the picture, instead of at the bottom!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 27 2016, 5:43pm

Post #11 of 17 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Different browsers? [In reply to] Can't Post

So I copy and pasted [<]IMG BORDER="0" ALIGN="Right" SRC="daisy_1.JPG"[>]text text text[<]br clear="all"/[>], took the brackets out, substituted "http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=20150" for
"daisy_1.JPG", made sure I had Post Style setting as "Markup and HTML", and got:

text text text

So it doesn't seem like you and dernwyn copied it wrong.

Sometimes HTML tags are slightly different for different browsers. I'm using Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 Professional. Maybe that's the problem?

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Oct 27 2016, 5:50pm)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Oct 27 2016, 5:57pm

Post #12 of 17 (1828 views)
Shortcut
Thank you too - but I give up... [In reply to] Can't Post

Argh...I have tried this a few times now, with the same results.

you'd needed to replace ALL of "[left arrow sign]" with "<", brackets included

I must admit you lost me there, because now that I replaced both the text "left arrow sign" AND the brackets with "<", I have no idea which brackets to keep after that and which to remove. All of them? I tried that too, but nope. Crazy

The reason why this is so frustrating is because I used to know how to do this, in some other forum - I recall having put things like "image tag in brackets" something.jpg / "image tag in brackets" and could also embed a link in the image so it could be clicked, and so on - and code was written WITH brackets, and it worked. Unsure Now I can't even put up one simple image, never mind links (not that I needed those). Although it may be that in that other place, the image could just be dragged around the posting window and the text settled automatically beside it, because I don't remember having needed any alignment codes. I'm not sure anymore.

But then again, the main point of the whole thing (here on TORn) was to have the text run all the way along the image. If it only starts at the bottom, it's almost the same as having the text above and below the image, like we usually do. So I will save us all time and just continue what I have done so far (feeling a bit stupid but I'll just decide I'm slow today Blush). Thank you very much for trying to teach me. Maybe some others learned how to do it! Smile

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Oct 27 2016, 5:59pm)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Oct 27 2016, 6:12pm

Post #13 of 17 (1831 views)
Shortcut
That may be it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried the same line as before but without any brackets, and the result was that my whole code mess disappeared in preview, leaving only "text text text" visible.

And I would be uploading all the images from my computer, which seems to make the whole thing even more complicated.

I'm using Firefox on Windows 7 - maybe that's the problem. Oh well. I have no more time to devote for exercises (at least for now), but maybe some brighter people here Wink - or some with suitable browsers - have actually learned how to move text & images while reading your & dernwyn's posts. Thank you very much for your patience and advice! Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 27 2016, 6:49pm

Post #14 of 17 (1829 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want to upload the images from your own computer you'll have to set it up as a server which indeed is even more complicated. Otherwise you have to upload the images either to your own website or an image hosting site.

Hope you get things worked out!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 28 2016, 1:30pm

Post #15 of 17 (1783 views)
Shortcut
What am I doing here? [In reply to] Can't Post

yada yada yada

Anyway, I did a right click on Darkstone's daisy. It brought up (at the bottom) "inspect". I click on "inspect" and it brought up some highlighted html which I copied and pasted HERE, which brought up the daisy and I was able to put this text before the html.

For what it's worth, I'm using Win 7 Ultimate, with Chrome.

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 28 2016, 4:05pm

Post #16 of 17 (1771 views)
Shortcut
If the source is a web link [In reply to] Can't Post

- that is, starts with "http" - then the code works.

But the problem is doing it for an uploaded image. Darkstone's is a web link; Ilmatar's is an uploaded image, which has no "http" when you "inspect" it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ilmatar
Rohan

Oct 28 2016, 6:36pm

Post #17 of 17 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Uh oh, that sounds bad [In reply to] Can't Post

The images I use are on my own computer, in 99% of cases, so the "problem" persists, and I will let it go. Not going to set it up as a server Shocked and I'm not too enthusiastic about image hosting sites either.

But it's good to have this issue cleared up, as it has bothered me a little for some time. Thank you once more for the (tech) support!

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Oct 28 2016, 6:37pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.