Shortcut
Favorite book in the LOTR's trilogy Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 26 2016, 1:55pm

Post #2 of 22 (1688 views)
Shortcut
FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

It has the most Faerie. The others are more World of Men.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 26 2016, 2:00pm

Post #3 of 22 (1686 views)
Shortcut
All Six! [In reply to] Can't Post

Six books divided (sometimes) into three volumes. How can I separate one from the whole?

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 26 2016, 2:31pm

Post #4 of 22 (1681 views)
Shortcut
The others are more based on the world of men. [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR did seem to have more Faerie to it, with the elves and the hobbits being more main.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 26 2016, 2:33pm

Post #5 of 22 (1682 views)
Shortcut
I always forget that they are actually six books! [In reply to] Can't Post

They are all very good, and I like how once it had got into the Two Towers, you had one book about the Fellowship's journey with the Men of Rohan and the Ents, where in the other book, you had Frodo and Sam's journey to Mordor and the meeting of Gollum.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 26 2016, 4:02pm

Post #6 of 22 (1673 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Fellowship itself. I grieve when they part ways every time I read it.

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 26 2016, 7:15pm

Post #7 of 22 (1657 views)
Shortcut
ROTK [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the account of Theoden's charge

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 26 2016, 7:58pm

Post #8 of 22 (1646 views)
Shortcut
I love ROTK too! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is my favorite!

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 26 2016, 7:59pm

Post #9 of 22 (1646 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship is my second favorite LOTR's book. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the way it gets you introduced into the characters.

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 26 2016, 8:18pm

Post #10 of 22 (1644 views)
Shortcut
I love FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

And it was a difficult call, between it and ROTK, but if I had to choose which one to read, it would be ROTK, because in parts FOTR drags on a little - which I enjoy, when I'm in a patient "moss-gathering" mood, but when I'm "doomed to rolling" I prefer ROTK Wink

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 26 2016, 8:56pm

Post #11 of 22 (1640 views)
Shortcut
I really enjoyed both! [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the ROTK because of the way all the characters had really come into their own and it seemed that they each had their own moments to shine.

The whole scene when the Black Rider appears to the hobbits first time was really creepy, but it holds your interest the whole time. I remember reading that bit and it totally took me, and also scared me a little!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 26 2016, 9:06pm

Post #12 of 22 (1641 views)
Shortcut
TTT. [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, FOTR draaaags during The Old Forest and Bombadil chapters, and the beautiful ending of ROTK leaves me feeling down the next day. But TTT is the high-stakes middle section where the danger amps up, the politics deepen and the stakes are raised ever higher - and we're left with Frodo in the hands of the Enemy! Noooo!

So, yeah, TTT.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 26 2016, 9:22pm

Post #13 of 22 (1637 views)
Shortcut
I need to reread TTT! [In reply to] Can't Post

When I first read it when I was twelve, I had a bit of difficulty getting through it the first time I read the chapters with the Fellowship in the war against Isengard. I flew through the chapters with Frodo and Sam.
I would probably enjoy it more now since I am older. I was surprised I had a harder time getting through it since the TTT is my favorite movie out of the film saga.

I need time for a reread!
Wink

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 27 2016, 11:12am

Post #14 of 22 (1614 views)
Shortcut
All of them.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously. I have favourite chapters, passages and characters and even phrases throughout. Sometimes I have to pause and think which book a particular passage comes from and, after all, it is one continuous story. In six books. And sometimes three volumes.... And then there's the Appendix! Smile

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 27 2016, 12:11pm

Post #15 of 22 (1609 views)
Shortcut
Cool!! [In reply to] Can't Post

They are all very good!! And there are some very neat passages in certain parts of the books! I enjoy parts of the Appendix because of the different stories that weren't told in the exact story of LOTR's!

Thanks for sharing!Smile

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 27 2016, 2:39pm

Post #16 of 22 (1600 views)
Shortcut
FotR [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be my choice, if I have to. (though it's almost impossible to choose!) Mostly because I love all the Shire stuff and the peacefulness you get at the beginning. The magic of Frodo and Sam meeting the Elves for the first time. I love that scene and so wished to see that a bit more in the movie. Merry and Pippin not leaving their cousin alone. Aragorns first appearance. Just to name those who I'm thinking of right now. Smile

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 27 2016, 2:53pm

Post #17 of 22 (1596 views)
Shortcut
Those are some wonderful scenes! [In reply to] Can't Post

The beginning was extremely well written by showing how peaceful it was to slowly getting darker chapter by chapter. It is a extremely good book!Heart

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Oct 28 2016, 2:11pm

Post #18 of 22 (1552 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship of the Ring! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though TTT is my favorite movie in the series, it is not my favorite book. FOTR was the first Middle Earth book I read when I was kid and every time I look at it on my shelf a sudden hit of nostalgia comes upon me. I always found it the most well written out of the three. I just love that one the most! It had an impact on me unlike any other book I read.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 28 2016, 4:16pm

Post #19 of 22 (1539 views)
Shortcut
That is neat!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to admit, even though Return of the King is my personal favorite, I do believe Fellowship has more of an impact because it was the first out of the amazing book trilogy and by reading it, you know that Tolkien was a truly genius man for writing such a book!

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 31 2016, 9:09am

Post #20 of 22 (1442 views)
Shortcut
FOTR Book One [In reply to] Can't Post

For similar reasons expressed by others in this thread, those early chapters have a wonderful sense of quaint faery magic about them and the slow, but peaceful pace of the shire chapters gradually sucks you into the story before things really kick off with the terror of the Black Riders and the mystery of Stider's introduction, it also contains some of Tolkien's strongest and most beautiful prose, and several of my favorite scenes in his writing- Frodo and Gandalf's fireside discussion about morality and mercy, The house of Tom Bombadil, and Gildor and Frodo's meeting at Woody End etc.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 31 2016, 12:14pm

Post #21 of 22 (1435 views)
Shortcut
I loved the part with Gildor and Frodo. [In reply to] Can't Post

It brought back peace after the black riders came into the story for a while. I also love the House of the Tom Bombadil, another example of peace before the darkness, but even that had its own darkness with the Barrow-wights.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 3 2016, 3:01am

Post #22 of 22 (1384 views)
Shortcut
That's my favorite too. [In reply to] Can't Post

For all the reasons you mentioned. Woody End is one of my favorite scenes, and of course I fall in love with snarky Strider all over again every time I meet him.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.