Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Why do you vote the way you do?
Poll: Why do you vote the way you do?
I pretty much vote along party lines
I look at the candidate's record on particular issues
I vote with my church/my family/some other group
I go with my gut
other (what?)
View Results (56 votes)

Annael
Immortal

Oct 25 2016, 9:12pm

Post #1 of 22 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Why do you vote the way you do? Can't Post

I'm not interested in who or what you vote for, I'm interested in what influences your vote.

Multiple answers allowed as I realize it's a complicated issue.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 26 2016, 3:02am

Post #2 of 22 (1047 views)
Shortcut
It used to be along party lines/policies I could live with [In reply to] Can't Post

but for the last couple of elections it has been who has brassed me off the least.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 26 2016, 1:42pm

Post #3 of 22 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Some politics are local. [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to vote on issues.

However, not in the case of our current US Representative. Throughout his tenure he has been very responsive and helpful to his constituents. For example he quickly solved my elderly fatherís problems after the government came after him out of the blue over a decades old, long-thought resolved issue. Also, when my brother-in-law was serving in Bosnia the soldiers learned they were not going to receive any Christmas mail. After a letter to our Representative they started receiving it. And right after our letter he quickly visited Bosnia. My brother-in-law said after the visit the conditions for the troops (food, quarters, etc.) substantially improved.

Other constituents have stories of how heís helped them and theirs.

Wifey and I donít always agree with the stances our Representative takes, but he always civilly responds to our letters of protest and takes the time to carefully explain why heís voting differently.

Our family votes for him every election.

He's been in Congress for over 20 years.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 26 2016, 4:01pm

Post #4 of 22 (1017 views)
Shortcut
sounds like your representative truly "represents" you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I once reached out to my representative over a problem I was having with a government agency and bingo, problem solved!

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2016, 5:43pm

Post #5 of 22 (969 views)
Shortcut
I vote based on character [In reply to] Can't Post

and issues. But if no candidate has a decent character (aka all dirty) then I will vote solely on issues and who I believe can do the best with what they've got.

And if even on issues both still stink, then I will vote for the one least likely to either abuse their power, or be prevented from abusing it by Congress or other factions intended to keep the abusive power position in check.

In my mind, (no names) a candidate who is hated by the establishment will have a FAR more difficult time doing anything to abuse their power because the establishment won't let him/her get away with it.

But a candidate who has his/her hooks so deep in government that they can get away with any abuse whatsoever without consequence, and intends to abuse that power, is FAR more dangerous because no one will be able to keep him/her in check, and that lends itself to a dictatorship under the guise of 'democracy'.

So it's not only based on character and issues, but also based on whether or not 1) they intend to abuse their power, and 2) how successful will they be at abusing their power if they do?

So voting for me is rather complex, because I could easily say all of the above, and other, because it's not always clear-cut. Sometimes you get a decent candidate or two, and other times you get people who have been voted in for their "entertainment value" in the primaries (at all levels of government) because people are treating elections like voting for a reality show American Idol, not voting for our country's leaders and government tasked with enormous power and responsibility.

So when you have a morally decent candidate who aligns (at least mostly, because no one aligns perfectly) with the issues you believe in and has no scandals trailing behind them a thousand miles long, then the choice is obvious.

But when you have a candidate(s) who is morally bankrupt and whose issue stances either change on a daily basis or are a FAR cry from how you believe, then it starts to become far more complex, and you have to evaluate who will be held in check by other branches the most for the next term duration so they don't do anything disastrous for the nation and get away with it and pray and hope that you end up with a better candidate selection the next time around Crazy

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Oct 27 2016, 5:47pm)

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2016, 5:52pm

Post #6 of 22 (975 views)
Shortcut
I will also debunk a long held myth, if I may [In reply to] Can't Post

At least for America, as I do not know how other countries do their elections:

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO VOTE IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO, OR IF THERE IS NO CANDIDATE YOU SUPPORT.

That's right- you are NOT REQUIRED to vote.

Some say that it's a moral obligation (it's not) and that you must (you don't). But that's not true.

If there is no one you feel comfortable voting for and you're not allowed a write in in your state, you do NOT HAVE TO VOTE. You can simply wait until the next election, if voting will mean defying your principles if either candidate is someone you hate or do not wish to have in office.

It's a right, just like driving after a certain age is a right, just like drinking after a certain age is a right, just like equal opportunity is a right, etc. But it does NOT mean you have to do so.

So if you can't stand any of the candidates this election, you can stay home, I promise. And I won't judge you for it Wink

It's your right, and you have the right to exercise it, or not to.

Sorry to the OP, but just wanted to put this out there as well, because the poll is about why you vote the way you do, and I think that the choice NOT to vote falls into this category as well Smile

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Oct 27 2016, 5:53pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 27 2016, 10:12pm

Post #7 of 22 (956 views)
Shortcut
In some countries voting is a legal requirement... [In reply to] Can't Post

In some it isn't.

Here it isn't. If you don't want to turn out you don't have to. If you don't even want to register to vote you don't have to. But for myself - and this is only a personal feeling - I think there is a moral obligation to vote because we're lucky to have a vote and I'd rather live in a democracy than not Also I reckon if you leave the voting to other people you can't really complain about the result!

But then, our ballot papers always have a list of candidates so there's likely to be someone reasonable, even if you don't think they'll win. And if the day ever came when I really couldn't agree with any of them I'd go in and write 'none of them' on the ballot paper rather than not vote. But that's just me, and how things work here.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 28 2016, 3:03pm

Post #8 of 22 (925 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

Also I reckon if you leave the voting to other people you can't really complain about the result!

but also I think one can't really complain if one just sits on the sidelines and doesn't get involved in some way, preferably locally, at the very least by volunteering for a cause one believes in. Just voting & then expecting the person you voted for to solve all the problems is abdicating your own responsibility for doing your part. You can wash your hands by not voting, but you can do the same by not doing anything BUT voting.

I feel very strongly about this. We need to stop expecting someone else to solve our problems for us, in every sphere of life. We can't solve the big problems by ourselves, sure, but if we all took on just a little bit of them . . .

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 28 2016, 3:13pm

Post #9 of 22 (921 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

The world is very big and very complicated and it's easy to think 'there's nothing I can do about that', but closer to home there's always something you can do if you're willing.

TheOnlyOneAroundWithAnySense
Rohan

Oct 30 2016, 10:40pm

Post #10 of 22 (856 views)
Shortcut
Agreed with every single word of your post [In reply to] Can't Post

My name is Way Too Long for this Forum and I approve of this message.

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 31 2016, 9:12am

Post #11 of 22 (835 views)
Shortcut
I vote along Party lines... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but as I'm English and my area has been a Conservative area for decades the party I support (Liberal Democrats) has absolutely no chance of being elected at a local level, and I don't foresee them having a major impact at a national level for many years to come either after the backlash from their role in the 2010 Coalition Government...

silneldor
Half-elven

Nov 4 2016, 1:53am

Post #12 of 22 (770 views)
Shortcut
fyi [In reply to] Can't Post

please, be aware of newsweek out tomorrow.
i am deathly afraid for this country, and the world.
(typing with 1 hand having cast on right hand)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 6 2016, 1:26am

Post #13 of 22 (738 views)
Shortcut
I'm registered independent for a reason [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to find out as much as I can about a candidate - verifiable facts about voting record, business record, personal quotes. I look for those that align with my personal opinions and I look for consistency. Anyone can make up sound bites to fit the audience. I look for a leader that has the intelligence and ability for sober reflection on complex issues. I look for but do not always find honorable, fair people who are willing to listen to diverse viewpoints so they have all the information they need to make decisions.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 8 2016, 9:14pm

Post #14 of 22 (715 views)
Shortcut
Wifey says she'd vote for the Devil him/herself.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if they pledged to end Daylight Savings Time.

Thinking about it, I'm inclined to agree with her.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 8 2016, 10:59pm

Post #15 of 22 (709 views)
Shortcut
But if it was the Devil.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..could you trust him/her to do it?

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 8 2016, 11:35pm

Post #16 of 22 (708 views)
Shortcut
If it means getting rid of DST.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...she says she willing to take that chance.

I tend to agree with her.

So call us one-issue voters.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 9 2016, 8:40am

Post #17 of 22 (688 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough! // [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2016, 11:33pm

Post #18 of 22 (667 views)
Shortcut
bwa haaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

That seems to have been our issue in the US...

evil, eviler, evilest... or that's what a lot of folks seem to think anyway.

I have very distinct values: environment, social safety nets, equality of race religion etc etc etc, living wage pay, health care... which tends to end up being along party lines (democratic mostly, though some of the third parties are taking on these challenges in a less middle of the road way).

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2016, 11:37pm

Post #19 of 22 (666 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In my mind, (no names) a candidate who is hated by the establishment will have a FAR more difficult time doing anything to abuse their power because the establishment won't let him/her get away with it.

That is actually heartening.

Perhaps the present "victor" can be harnessed, put in the team, pointed in the right direction, and kept in line (dear establishment, make sure you use aircraft cable on that gangline so he doesn't bite through it and go gallavanting off into the horizon).

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2016, 11:38pm

Post #20 of 22 (668 views)
Shortcut
I thought of that too [In reply to] Can't Post

You can leave certain portions blank, and vote farther down the list (congress etc). That might make a difference.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2016, 3:38am

Post #21 of 22 (656 views)
Shortcut
It is heartening [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted strategically this year since there weren't any good candidates Wink That was my strategy Cool

Omnigeek
Lorien

Nov 29 2016, 6:38am

Post #22 of 22 (554 views)
Shortcut
A variety of factors [In reply to] Can't Post

Not necessarily in order:

1. Consistency with The Constitution as written and amended over the years (amended, not reinterpreted)
2. Ethics/morals
3. Trustworthiness
4. Demonstrated competence at managing large enterprises
5. Consistency with historic American heritage and history

I fully accept that I'm not going to agree 100% with any candidate but I look for ones that I can trust and who understand the limitations of the office as written in the Constitution. The republic was founded with a concept of freedom and liberty that was then unique in the world (and still is to some extent). The concept of limited government has been lost in recent years, especially in the government itself and in law schools (except when it suits their ideological convenience), but it has been a key principal of what has been good about America. IMO, there are plenty of places you can go if you want large bureaucracies intruding into personal lives so leave us the place that was founded with a different philosophy.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.