Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Are the bears which Beorn meets skin-changers?

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 23 2016, 10:16pm

Post #1 of 18 (1281 views)
Shortcut
Are the bears which Beorn meets skin-changers? Can't Post

In Queer Lodgings in The Hobbit, Gandalf tells the company how he discovered tracks of many bears near Beorn's house.

Are these bears skin-changers like Beorn? Or are they the rest of the Beornings, and related to Beorn?

This raises another question - For the race to be called the "Beornings" wouldn't they have to be descended from Beorn? So was Beorn married? Do skin-changers get married? Are they predominantly bearish or manish in nature? If Beorn did have a spouse, would it be another skin-changer, a bear or a man? If a bear or a man, would the Beornings have the same skin-changing capabilities as Beorn?

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 23 2016, 11:14pm

Post #2 of 18 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Beornings [In reply to] Can't Post

The people called Beornings who arose late in the Third Age were Men of the vales of Anduin who made Beorn their chieftain following the Battle of Five Armies. They were not skin-changers as a rule. Beorn presumably took a wife from among them. His direct heirs were often skin-changers, also able to take the forms of bears.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 24 2016, 1:04pm

Post #3 of 18 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Bear with me… [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In Queer Lodgings in The Hobbit, Gandalf tells the company how he discovered tracks of many bears near Beorn's house.

This seems to indicate that Beorn was not the only skin changer at the time. Logic tells us the tracks were not just PLAIN bears?

In Reply To
This raises another question - For the race to be called the "Beornings" wouldn't they have to be descended from Beorn? So was Beorn married? Do skin-changers get married?

See Grimbeorn below.

In Reply To
Are they predominantly bearish or manish in nature? If Beorn did have a spouse, would it be another skin-changer, a bear or a man? If a bear or a man, would the Beornings have the same skin-changing capabilities as Beorn?

Mainly Mannish, I would think. See Letter 144 below.
And yes, in order to have a son (Grimbeorn) Beorn would have a spouse.

The only Beorning encountered in LotR is Beorn, who as a skin-changer was probably not representative of his people.
-Foster’s Complete Guide To Middle-earth

. . . Beorn was the chieftain of the clan of Northern Men whose traditional duty it was to maintain the trade routes . . .
-Tyler’s Complete Tolkien Companion

Frodo learned that Grimbeorn the Old, son of Beorn, was now the lord of many sturdy men . . .
They are valiant men and keep open the High Pass and the Ford of Carrock.
-III, Many Meetings

Though a skin-changer and no doubt a bit of a magician, Beorn was a Man.
-Letters, #144

‘. . . the rule of no realm is mine . . .
But all worthy things that are in peril . . . those are my care.
For I also am a steward. Did you not know?'

Gandalf to Denethor

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 24 2016, 2:27pm

Post #4 of 18 (1205 views)
Shortcut
From Loner to Chieftain [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

This seems to indicate that Beorn was not the only skin changer at the time. Logic tells us the tracks were not just PLAIN bears?

We cannot make such an assumption considering Beorn's abilities to transform and to speak with animals. There is nothing that tells us that the other prints were made by anything other than normal bears.

In Reply To
This raises another question - For the race to be called the "Beornings" wouldn't they have to be descended from Beorn? So was Beorn married? Do skin-changers get married?

See Grimbeorn below.

In Reply To

The only Beorning encountered in LotR is Beorn, who as a skin-changer was probably not representative of his people.
-Foster’s Complete Guide To Middle-earth

. . . Beorn was the chieftain of the clan of Northern Men whose traditional duty it was to maintain the trade routes . . .
-Tyler’s Complete Tolkien Companion

Frodo learned that Grimbeorn the Old, son of Beorn, was now the lord of many sturdy men . . .
They are valiant men and keep open the High Pass and the Ford of Carrock.
-III, Many Meetings

Though a skin-changer and no doubt a bit of a magician, Beorn was a Man.
-Letters, #144

Tolkien tells us within The Hobbit how Beorn goes from living a solitary life to becoming a chieftain of Men (relevant passages bolded for emphasis):

Anyway by mid-winter Gandalf and Bilbo had come all the way back, along both edges of the Forest, to the doors of Beorn's house, and there for a while they both stayed. Yule-tide was warm and merry there; and men came from far and wide to feast at Beorn's bidding. The goblins of the Misty Mountains were now few and terrified, and hidden in the deepest holes they could find; and the Wargs had vanished from the woods, so that men went abroad without fear. Beorn indeed became a great chief afterwards in those regions and ruled a wide land between the mountains and the wood; and it is said that for many generations the men of his line had the power of taking bear's shape, and some were grim men and bad, but most were in heart like Beorn, if less in size and strength. In their day the last goblins were hunted from the Misty Mountains and a new peace came over the edge of the Wild.

So of the Beornings, only the men (and women?) descended from Beorn, such as his son Grimbeorn, might be skin-changers.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 24 2016, 2:28pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 24 2016, 4:23pm

Post #5 of 18 (1185 views)
Shortcut
Funnily enough..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always thought they were ordinary bears, because Beorn seemed to prefer the company of animals.

Maybe I'm just not logical enough! Tongue

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 24 2016, 11:36pm

Post #6 of 18 (1161 views)
Shortcut
I can be illogical if I want to.. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's bearly still a free-speech country -- for now.. Shocked

I'll bare the burden of being right -- or wrong... Wink

I'll stick w/ a sleuth of skin-changers for now -- that's right "sleuth" Smile

Gandalf to Denethor

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 24 2016, 11:48pm

Post #7 of 18 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't bare that burden in front of me (unless the burden is a beautiful woman)! But you can bear it all you want.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 25 2016, 1:10am

Post #8 of 18 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Point taken [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ll bare the burden of being bearly wrong. They were bear, real bear mind you, footprints (or do bears have pawprints? And these bears WERE bare! I find no textual evidence that THESE bears had feet Wink) outside Beorn’s house, (and why do WE go bare-foot but not bear-foot? Cause we go human-foot.). Gandalf calls them bear-tracks, just to throw us a conundrum as he is wont to often do.

And so good ole Beorn was born the first of the skin-changers. Who were his parents? Beornillda and Tarzan.

And what do Bill the Pony, Bill Huggins, and Bill Ferney have in common?

And I’ve done gone and lost my sense of logic again. Excuse – one! I’m on a pain-killer (it do kill) for my knee---- and I’m a’sackin’ out early. Bye fer now… You won’t have BG to kick around until tomorrow.. Ha!

Hey dormouse – tea tomorrow? I promise to behave if Otaku does too. . . .

Gandalf to Denethor

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 25 2016, 2:38am

Post #9 of 18 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Skin-changers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And so good ole Beorn was born the first of the skin-changers. Who were his parents? Beornillda and Tarzan.

From what Gandalf says, I would guess that there were skin-changers before Beorn.

"He is a skin-changer. He changes his skin: sometimes he is a huge black bear, sometimes he is a great strong black-haired man with huge arms and a great beard... Some say that he is a bear descended from the great and ancient bears of the mountains that lived there before the giants came. Others say that he is a man descended from the first men who lived before Smaug or the other dragons came into this part of the world, and before the goblins came into the hills out of the North. I cannot say, though I fancy the last is the true tale...

"At any rate he is under no enchantment but his own."

Maybe Radagast the Brown had something to do with Beorn gaining his ability. Perhaps he isolated himself out of fear that he was too dangerous to be around other people. However, Beorn's actions at the Battle of Five Armies seem to mark a turning-point. Maybe he gained restraint and self-control in his bear-form.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 25 2016, 8:10am

Post #10 of 18 (1132 views)
Shortcut
The bears were bare??? [In reply to] Can't Post

I fort they had fur coats on! Shocked

Tea for three a pleasure, Mr B! Tea, scones with cream and jam, (that may be jelly to you...Wink ). See you at tea time (psst, when you live in a teapot it's ALWAYS teatime). And I'm sorry about the knee.

that I have never seen:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 25 2016, 11:35am

Post #11 of 18 (1128 views)
Shortcut
Other skin-changers? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen it speculated that at least one of Beorn's descendants (possibly a woman/girl) might even gain a transformation into something other than a bear: A deer, a huge swan, perhaps even a wolf (though not a Warg). But we don't know that other skin-changers, previous to Beorn, exclusively took the forms of bears or if they might have had the shapes of other animals. For that matter, we are only guessing by implication that there had been other skin-changers not descended from Beorn.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 25 2016, 1:30pm

Post #12 of 18 (1123 views)
Shortcut
“Who’s on first.” [In reply to] Can't Post

“I don’t know.”
“Third base.”
“What?”
“What’s on second.”

In Reply To
So of the Beornings, only the men (and women?) descended from Beorn, such as his son Grimbeorn, might be skin-changers.

From what Gandalf says, I would guess that there were skin-changers before Beorn.

Sooo, somebody was first?!
(Center field?)

The dreaded pre-Beornings... Evil

Gandalf to Denethor

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 25 2016, 1:44pm

Post #13 of 18 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Possibly? [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf referred to Beorn as 'a' skin-changer, not 'the' skin-changer, so there presumably were (or had been) others. Beorn might have even inherited his ability from a forebear (no pun intended, honest!), though we aren't specifically told this. Tolkien intentionally leaves it a mystery, though he does reveal in a later letter that Beorn was a still a mortal man who passed on by the time of the War of the Ring. And Radagast was described as a master of shapes and hues, so he might have passed on some knowledge to others, perhaps helping them find and use an inherent gift?

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 25 2016, 1:50pm

Post #14 of 18 (1117 views)
Shortcut
I fort I forgot the fur coats [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the tea… Tongue

Jam/Jelly - same same over here.
Knee is good (getting there at least) thank you.

Gandalf to Denethor

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 25 2016, 2:11pm

Post #15 of 18 (1118 views)
Shortcut
Didn't Elwing take the form of a swan.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...does that make her a skin-changer?

that I have never seen:

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 25 2016, 2:52pm

Post #16 of 18 (1112 views)
Shortcut
"Divine" intervention [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Ulmo who gave Elwing the likeness of a swan when she cast herself into the sea to prevent the Silmaril from falling into the hands of the sons of Feanor, so that she could find Earendil on Vingilot. Later when she and Earendil dwelt in Valinor she learned the craft of flight from the birds that became her friends, so that she could greet him when he returned from his journeys, but not as a swan, she simply had wings that were of white and silver-grey.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 25 2016, 4:13pm

Post #17 of 18 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Elwing [In reply to] Can't Post

Elwing's transformation into a bird (swan? gull? or albatross?) was a one-time thing engineered by Ulmo, so I don't think we can count her a skin-changer, though she did seem to gain the ability to speak with birds. It is said that she eventually learned how to assume wings and fly as she once did, but it's unclear whether she again became a bird.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 25 2016, 7:49pm

Post #18 of 18 (1085 views)
Shortcut
And Earendil… talking of changing skin… [In reply to] Can't Post

…became The Flammifer of Westernesse.

… Love it! Bilbo did his very best with this poem. . . (with a very small bit of ‘help’ from Aragorn).

Does that make Earendil a . . . . . . Oh, nevermind Cool

Gandalf to Denethor

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.