Welcome to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 21 2016, 8:46pm

Post #26 of 133 (698 views)
Shortcut
Our weather is much the same [In reply to] Can't Post

Only with the seasons switched, of course. But, we're set for a week of two of very warm weather for late October (about 74 f/23 c), which I'm certainly not complaining about.

Nice to hear that you're feeling better. I'm impressed that you completed your big Spring cleaning in one weekend! Ours usually turns into Summer, then overflows to the following Spring, lol. Laugh

Enjoy your long weekend! SmileHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 21 2016, 10:01pm

Post #27 of 133 (694 views)
Shortcut
It's funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in the middle of The Two Towers in my read-through right now, and I couldn't help but feel similar to Frodo as he's forced to decide by the Company near Amon Hen which way it should proceed. My gut didn't know for several hours what to think; soon though, I came to see what I *had* to do, even if in that moment it seemed scarier. I had my Boromir--someone who somewhat aggressively gives their opinion, and I had much more confidence which direction was correct afterwards.

Thank you. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 21 2016, 10:02pm

Post #28 of 133 (691 views)
Shortcut
Hehe, thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Hoping the complaints are minor as well; and if not, it's part of the journey forward.

Thank you so much!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 21 2016, 10:54pm

Post #29 of 133 (689 views)
Shortcut
I'm taking a Turkish marbling class this weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister and I saw an artist creating the most beautiful art at a couple fairs this past summer, and we found a class in town that will teach us how to do it. It's an ancient method, and many have developed different approaches.

What we saw is basically a two-step process. First, drip paint onto water and use fine brushes to form a design.

Then you carefully put a piece of paper on top the water/paint mixture, and pull the paper off, with the paint adhering to the underside of the paper.

Here's some examples of finished pieces - I am sure mine won't look nearly as nice!

For whatever reason, autumn becomes a busy social month for me. I don't plan on it, but every year I find myself booked with all sorts of activities. Next weekend, a friend from college is visiting, then I'm helping a friend move. Two weeks after that I'm going to a football game with one sister, then the next weekend another game with a different sister. Then it's Thanksgiving! I guess this is why I take time off between Christmas and New Year's and plan nothing - I get so busy I need the time to regroup.

Around all this I'm helping a friend move, dealing with two stressful neighborhood situations, watching my Cleveland Indians in the baseball playoffs and now the World Series, and of course work!

I just poured a nice glass of white wine and took a pumpkin pie out of the oven. I just love fall, and we've had gorgeous weather - cool evenings, nice sunny days, and the leaves are just turning color. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 21 2016, 11:21pm

Post #30 of 133 (680 views)
Shortcut
I hope the neighbourhood situation gets sorted out soon. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your home should be your refuge, not another place of stress.

Will you post photos of how your marbelling turns out?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2016, 11:35pm

Post #31 of 133 (681 views)
Shortcut
Pennsylvania [In reply to] Can't Post

aka Penn's Woods...

first it was summer on the equator, then it was summer in the southwest (no rain), then it was summer with monsoons, then it was suddenly winter, then it was summer again...

The trees are cornfused. They are sort of yellowish (lots of oak/hickory woods here), and vaguely orangeish, but mostly greenish.

I love summer, but the tapestry of colors that creeps into the bushes, meadows and undergrowth is fabulous. I like to take a camera around and just point it at the ground, the trail, and my feet as I study the textures and colors of bare earth, tree root and fallen leaf.

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2016, 11:41pm

Post #32 of 133 (674 views)
Shortcut
what part of coastal Virginia? [In reply to] Can't Post

Assateague and Chincoteague are some of my favorite places on earth. I've ridden, kayaked, snorkelled and scuba dived, hiked, camped, pony penninged, and burned more camera memory cards than you can possibly imagine.

At this very moment, not far from you, in Hampton Roads, is drydocked a fabulous wa'a, a Hawiaiian voyaging canoe called Hokule'a that travelled up and down the Chesapeake Bay without me or my friends being able to catch her. One of my friends in the Longship Company has been following her for years, I just tripped over her in my explorations of Polynesian culture as we approach the release of Moana, the new Disney film.

Wishing I was in VA...

bigger on the inside...

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2016, 11:42pm

Post #33 of 133 (674 views)
Shortcut
that is fabulous! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done some version of this... you use oil based paints dribbled on the water. You can move the paint around with a stick or something to create designs.

bigger on the inside...

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 22 2016, 12:17am

Post #34 of 133 (671 views)
Shortcut
You have to move really quickly to do it with acrylics. [In reply to] Can't Post

Water-marbling became a very popular nail art technique several years ago. I should be doing an autumnal marbled manicure, but keep finding other things to do all week instead. Like painting the front door and sidelights. Again.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22 2016, 12:19am

Post #35 of 133 (671 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have low expectations, but my sister and I are really looking forward to the class.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2016, 1:02am

Post #36 of 133 (666 views)
Shortcut
it'll be fun [In reply to] Can't Post

don't worry about looking like the finished piece you saw on Pinterest (or whatever)... do your thing, have fun, it'll be fabulous!

bigger on the inside...

Kim
Valinor

Oct 22 2016, 2:06am

Post #37 of 133 (660 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations cats! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great news! I hope you're happy with your choice and settle in quickly. But yes, complaining about your job usually comes with the territory too. Smile

"All we have to decide is what to do in the time that is given us."

a.s.
Valinor

Oct 22 2016, 12:29pm

Post #38 of 133 (648 views)
Shortcut
Hampton Roads [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Eastern Shore of Virginia and love Chinoteague when it's not mosquito season. For us Tidewater Virginia folks in Hampton Roads, that's a $20 plus drive over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, though.

Smile

I live on down the coast in Norfolk. I didn't grow up here, but have lived here longer than anywhere in my life, raised my kids here, and really just love this part of the world. Except during hurricanes.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 22 2016, 2:59pm

Post #39 of 133 (641 views)
Shortcut
Work... [In reply to] Can't Post

... what's in store for me this weekend. I work the nightshift until monday morning. Which is really no hardship, as the weather is rather grey and cold. So, I hope the sky will clear up at the beginning of next week, because there are chances seeing the northern lights! Heart

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

May you have the hindsight to know
where you've been,
the foresight to know where you're going to and
the insight to know when you're going too far.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2016, 3:34pm

Post #40 of 133 (635 views)
Shortcut
Norfolk [In reply to] Can't Post

was full of mermaids. Wonder if it still is.

The Longship Company took our smallest boat, a twenty foot faering (four oared) boat to Sail Virginia back in ...eh...2007?

It was a fabulous tall ship festival and we were the smallest "tall ship". Technically we were "tall ship" because we had a square rigged sail.

Fortunately they parked us in front of the mighty Battleship Wisconsin, so we could find our boat easily. I remember rowing past the Wisconsin... and rowing past the Wisconsin... and rowing past the Wisconsin...

Norfolk was, at the time full of mermaids. Also Pocahontases.

it was pretty cool.

bigger on the inside...

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2016, 4:48pm

Post #41 of 133 (639 views)
Shortcut
Bucket list again [In reply to] Can't Post

I went whitewater rafting with my Girl Scouts. The Shenandoah was up about 2 feet so we had some fun with class 3 water - not huge but big enough for the first time for all of us. The day started wet with rain pouring down and temps around 60F (15C) and I really wasn't looking forward to the day, but once we got onto the water... oh, that was fantastic! Partway down the river we were approaching a longer set of rapids and I heard them before I sound them. For a minute it reminded me of The Falls and that alone made my day because that sound is the sound of home. By the time we finished I was ready to go again!

One more thing off my bucket list!

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22 2016, 7:06pm

Post #42 of 133 (630 views)
Shortcut
A day late [In reply to] Can't Post

But what a lovely spring day it is so far! I got up bright and early and went for a run.

The Mr chopped a load of wood yesterday, and I helped in a small way by stacking it. I was glad of the distraction, as I'm currently transcribing notes from the writings of one of our Victorian governors, and I was fed up with his cramped handwriting.

We're currently looking after our friend's pets while he's away: one cat, four chickens and one pheasant. It's nice to have a cat to fuss over again. :)

Champagne breakfast here, so I'll raise a glass to all my TORn friends. Have a wonderful (remnant of) weekend, all!

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 22 2016, 8:03pm

Post #43 of 133 (645 views)
Shortcut
Sigh. I was in the hospital last weekend. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sunday morning I got up at 4:30 to go to the bathroom, feeling pretty dizzy. Next thing I knew I was looking up at the pipe on the bottom of the sink. From my bruises, I must have hit my forehead and jaw and hand and knee when I hit the sink on the way down. I felt "sick unto death": shock is the worst feeling in the world. I called for my husband, and he called the ambulance. That was at 5:00, so I was unconscious for half an hour. My heart rate was very low, but they started an IV with something to raise it. It felt exactly like my stroke, but I was pretty sure it wasn't another stroke because I could still talk.

We went to Heart Center of the Rockies. The view out my 4th-floor window was spectacular. view

Given my history, they did a whole bunch of tests, but found nothing wrong. The theory is that one my blood pressure meds was the culprit. I came home Monday, and saw my doctor Thursday. He didn't know what caused it, but he adjusted my meds. After the end of a rather lengthy consultation, he shook my hand and said "I'm sooo glad you're OK." Me too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Oct 22 2016, 8:04pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Oct 22 2016, 8:06pm

Post #44 of 133 (619 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like good stress. [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations, and best wishes on the new job!

GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22 2016, 8:14pm

Post #45 of 133 (626 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an awful experience. Like your doctor, I'm so glad you're okay! I hope the adjustment of meds keeps you that way.

That lovely view must be rather healing in itself.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 22 2016, 8:27pm

Post #46 of 133 (626 views)
Shortcut
Oh my goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a horrible shock. I'm so glad you are okay, and that you had a room with a view. x

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 22 2016, 9:00pm

Post #47 of 133 (607 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much! [In reply to] Can't Post

I appreciate it. Smile

And keeping you in my thoughts after your scary last couple of days. Hope you have a relaxing weekend!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 23 2016, 2:24am

Post #48 of 133 (607 views)
Shortcut
Ouch! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you didn't end up with a concussion, what an ordeal!

Blood pressure meds: a similar thing happened to a friend's husband, he got up one morning to shower, and she found him just sitting in the shower, too weak to move. Turned out to be the blood pressure med he'd been on for 15 years: the doctor took him right off it.

So I hope that really was all it was, and that the doctor's revamping of the meds works out!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2016, 9:42pm

Post #49 of 133 (571 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! That's wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no doubt you'd get an offer! But two at the same time - however stressful it may have been - must make you feel good. Smile Sorry it took an "aggressive" Boromir type to help you decide between the two, but if in the end you feel more confident in your decision, maybe it's worth it.

Hope you had a great weekend celebrating and cheering yourself up. All the best on your new career!!!!Smile And hope things work out on the personal front!

~Sometimes you have a problem, the kind you can't erase,
sometimes it jumps up and slaps you in the face.
Don't run around in circles, don't scream and don't shout,
just put your head together and figure it out.
Figure it out, baby, figure it out.
Figure it out, baby, figure it out!~

Brought to you by Sesame Street and LMNOP (Donald Glover) Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBbgy0TV6U

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2016, 9:51pm

Post #50 of 133 (575 views)
Shortcut
Goodness, Aunt Dora! [In reply to] Can't Post

Between the two of us, we've done our part to keep hospitals busy. It sounds like your experience was painful and scary! Hope the adjustment to your meds does the trick. Take care! Smile

~Sometimes you have a problem, the kind you can't erase,
sometimes it jumps up and slaps you in the face.
Don't run around in circles, don't scream and don't shout,
just put your head together and figure it out.
Figure it out, baby, figure it out.
Figure it out, baby, figure it out!~

Brought to you by Sesame Street and LMNOP (Donald Glover) Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMBbgy0TV6U

(This post was edited by zarabia on Oct 23 2016, 9:53pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.