Additions from the Book...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

StingingFly
Lorien

Oct 22 2016, 10:31pm

Post #1 of 45 (2443 views)
Shortcut
Additions from the Book... Can't Post

...what are some things from the Book (big or small) that you would have liked to have seen in the films, and how would you have included them?

Mine would be the Black Arrow speech. I would have preferred a real arrow, instead of the windlance, but that being said, it would have been cool if Bard would have given a modified version of the speech as he was preparing to take the final shot on Smaug.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 22 2016, 11:17pm

Post #2 of 45 (2350 views)
Shortcut
That would of been cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish they had included Thranduil being a little kinder to Bilbo when he first met him at the camp. In the book, he was in admiration of the hobbit, where in the movie, he looked a little more unimpressed.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 22 2016, 11:29pm

Post #3 of 45 (2349 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree about the windlance. A normal arrow would have made it more heroic, and the black arrow speech had the potential to rival Theoden's rallying cry at the Pelennor.

I said this a little while ago, but I wish Gandalf had told Beorn they killed the Goblin-King, and Beorn helped them because he was so pleased.

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 23 2016, 12:31am

Post #4 of 45 (2337 views)
Shortcut
Epilogue with Gandalf and Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have liked to see Gandalf and Balin's visit to Bilbo (still Martin Freeman) at Bag End a few years after the quest. We could have had a few words about how Bard and Dain were doing as kings and we could have been told about the building of a new Lake-town. Balin could have even been shown having thoughts about Moria.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 23 2016, 1:59am

Post #5 of 45 (2329 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree with you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Would of made more sense on how they wanted to make the trilogies follow each other so well!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 23 2016, 2:02am

Post #6 of 45 (2330 views)
Shortcut
That would be nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be my second choice, the first being Bilbo telling the Company about the contest of riddles. But I have no idea when he'd have the opportunity - maybe on the Barge, or in Bard's house?

I'd say I've entered my second childhood, but I never left the first!

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 23 2016, 2:07am

Post #7 of 45 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Maybe. [In reply to] Can't Post

He probably would of had enough time when in Lake-town.Wink

P.S. Like your new avatar, Kili!

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Oct 23 2016, 2:48am

Post #8 of 45 (2319 views)
Shortcut
The Black Arrow being larger was for practicality and believability, [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug getting shot with a normal-sized arrow would be the equivalent of someone getting stabbed with a drawing pin, without poison.

I always follow my job through.

(This post was edited by ange1e4e5 on Oct 23 2016, 2:50am)

StingingFly
Lorien

Oct 23 2016, 3:21am

Post #9 of 45 (2308 views)
Shortcut
With the windlance, I am thinking the Black Arrow speech could go something like... [In reply to] Can't Post

..."Arrow! Black Arrow! I have saved you..." (Starting with Tolkien)
...for this day!...From the hand of Girion to my own...that I may finish what you started..." (Insert lines relevant to the Windlance arrow)
..."if ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!" (Finish with Tolkien)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 23 2016, 3:26am

Post #10 of 45 (2304 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

I'd say I've entered my second childhood, but I never left the first!

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 23 2016, 8:49am

Post #11 of 45 (2293 views)
Shortcut
Elf fires in the forest..... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a difficult one because I can see that the film Mirkwood wasn't a place where any sensible elf would want to picnic. But perhaps if they'd imagined a 'safe' area near the King's palace and just given a brief glimpse of Alan Lee-esque elves celebrating outdoors during the 'Feast of Starlight' scene when we know there is a celebration going on...

Beorn carrying Thorin off the battlefield - in the film Thorin would have been dead and the scene would have had to follow the dwarves mourning Thorin and Bilbo and Gandalf. In the way the film was done it wasn't necessary, it's just an image I've always liked.

Bilbo's parting from the Elvenking. As the film showed Gandalf and Bilbo parting from the surviving dwarves and setting out together - just the two of them rather than a marching coloumn with the elf-host and Beorn, they could perhaps have slipped a scene in after the funeral or after the battle showing how some of the threads were resolved: Bard returning the Arkenstone; Dain giving him some of the treasure, Bilbo and Thranduil. Or Bilbo and Gandalf could have met Thranduil on the homeward journey... I can see it would have been too complicated for the film really, but I would have liked to hear Thranduil say "I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy!)"

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 23 2016, 10:17am

Post #12 of 45 (2285 views)
Shortcut
The Talking Purse [In reply to] Can't Post

I shouldn't even to explain why by this point.

- Plus more of Beorn, Balin and Gandalf's epilogue visit to Bilbo, more of the songs and the Lord Of Eagles.

(I honestly can't remember the films very well, so I'm not entirely sure what I missed or didn't from the books)

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 23 2016, 10:41am

Post #13 of 45 (2279 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on all counts... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Though I think the Elven fires would have been hard to pull off-it treads a difficult line between tension and humour, I don't think an extended traipsing round the forest blindly scene suited the pacing of DOS (well, the theatrical version at least), and then you have lighting problems and trying to make it work with the trippy rather than mysterious Mirkwood of the films, as you say why would anyone want to camp in that forest?

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 23 2016, 12:34pm

Post #14 of 45 (2265 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 23 2016, 1:09pm

Post #15 of 45 (2255 views)
Shortcut
Very good! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to say, I'd rather Bain wasn't there and Bard delivered that speech in the face of Smaug alone.

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Oct 23 2016, 6:32pm

Post #16 of 45 (2220 views)
Shortcut
Dori [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have liked to see Dori trying to look after Bilbo as in the book, especially the bit where Bilbo is hanging onto Dori's legs during the Eagle flight.

I'd also have liked to see the Master run away with as much gold as he could carry at the end, like in the book. If the movie had to have his (admittedly very funny) death scene, at least Alfrid should have taken on that role.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2016, 7:24am

Post #17 of 45 (2150 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'd add all that too!... [In reply to] Can't Post

And the Moria hint from Balin would have made yet another nice link with the LOTR Trilogy, but surprisingly they somehow missed that one! Shocked

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2016, 7:39am

Post #18 of 45 (2147 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, an Elf fire [In reply to] Can't Post

and feast, in some clearing, as you say, near the gates!... Just seen from afar through the trees, that would have been nice indeed...

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2016, 9:23am

Post #19 of 45 (2141 views)
Shortcut
But didn't the Master [In reply to] Can't Post

do exactly that in the film too - take all the gold from the secret place where it was all hidden - before embarking to go away with it ?

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2016, 9:32am

Post #20 of 45 (2137 views)
Shortcut
I would have liked that, yes!... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always liked that solemn invocation to the Black Arrow at that so special and important moment...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 24 2016, 12:43pm

Post #21 of 45 (2125 views)
Shortcut
The Master's Betrayal of Lake-town [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book the Master of Lake-town doesn't find hidden gold in the ruin of Dale. He survives Smaug's attack and lives to help plan the building of the new Esgaroth. Then he and his cronies steal a portion of the treasure that Bard donates for the rebuilding of Lake-town and flees into the Desolation of Smaog only to be abandoned by his men and die alone in the Wild. Presumably he was planning to bypass Mirkwood by traveling between the Forest and the Grey Mountains.

I actually wish that Alfrid had met a similar end (though perhaps at the hands of a flappy-footed riddler. * gollum *).

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 24 2016, 4:20pm

Post #22 of 45 (2088 views)
Shortcut
But.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...how would you have brought Gollum into contact with Alfrid? (Just curious)

that I have never seen:

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 24 2016, 4:45pm

Post #23 of 45 (2083 views)
Shortcut
Easy-peasy [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...how would you have brought Gollum into contact with Alfrid? (Just curious)

Tolkien established that Gollum eventually emerged from beneath the Misty Mountains and followed Bilbo's trail to Long Lake and beyond. And Jackson has shown that he's willing to play around with Tolkien's timeline. So we just imagine Gollum leaving the mountains earlier and encountering Alfrid sometime after the Lake-man flees from the Battle of Five Armies. It might even happen after Gandalf and Bilbo take their leave of Erebor.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 24 2016, 4:46pm)

LSF
Gondor

Oct 24 2016, 5:13pm

Post #24 of 45 (2074 views)
Shortcut
hm... [In reply to] Can't Post

How long is this speech? But whether it's the length you typed or longer, I can't see Bard erupting into a fancy speech when he's on the tower of his burning town, with his daughters somewhere below in the inferno and his son in direct line of Smaug with him. He also doesn't seem to be a man of long and fancy words.

(This post was edited by LSF on Oct 24 2016, 5:19pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 24 2016, 7:20pm

Post #25 of 45 (2053 views)
Shortcut
Have to agree with you there.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The speech is fine in the book but I think it would have seemed a bit odd in the film

that I have never seen:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.