The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Sherlock Holmes vs. Smaug

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 22 2016, 9:18pm

Post #1 of 16 (4531 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock Holmes vs. Smaug Can't Post

Might of been done before, but who would win? I know the term brains vs brawns has been said before.Wink

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 22 2016, 11:38pm

Post #2 of 16 (4513 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

They'd enjoy a long riddling conversation, but Holmes, in an attempt to stab Smaug in the most dramatic way possible, misjudged his leap, and teeters on the brink of a cavernous mine in Erebor. Seeing resistance is futile, he attempts to drag Smaug down with him. Smaug gazes (almost pitifully) at his clawing arm, and a moment later flies down to inspect his remains on the floor 500ft below.

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 23 2016, 2:06am

Post #3 of 16 (4504 views)
Shortcut
Ah, what a battle it would be! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 23 2016, 1:04pm

Post #4 of 16 (4494 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

The Extended Edition of the battle would include Holmes somehow managing to grab hold of a ledge while falling, and as Smaug goes down to inspect the remains which he is unable to detect (rather bad pun intended LaughWink) Holmes empties a barrel of molten gold (barrel made of heat-resistant mithril) over Smaug 500ft below. Smaug infers Holmes came from Lake town, and scattering molten gold everywhere, trots off to torch Lake-town. And thus Sherlock got Bard to do the job for him.

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 23 2016, 6:16pm

Post #5 of 16 (4481 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Holmes would do that, start something, but then have someone finish it for him after he deems his challenge to be "too boring."Wink

Besides, Holmes already escaped death before.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 23 2016, 8:44pm

Post #6 of 16 (4477 views)
Shortcut
A draw. [In reply to] Can't Post

Neither would want to kill the other and end the most fascinating conversation of a lifetime. Tongue

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 23 2016, 11:10pm

Post #7 of 16 (4466 views)
Shortcut
That could happen. [In reply to] Can't Post

As both our high functioning sociopaths.( Well, Smaug is probably more of a psychopath.)

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 24 2016, 5:00pm

Post #8 of 16 (4437 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock Holmes [In reply to] Can't Post

After briefly glancing about the chamber, Holmes goes into long and intimate detail about everything that Smaug has been doing for almost 200 years alone in Erebor.

Smaug dies of embarrassment.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 24 2016, 5:32pm

Post #9 of 16 (4416 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

Sherlock has that power to him, which is something dragons do not always have.

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Dec 14 2016, 9:09pm

Post #10 of 16 (3996 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that she could survive Dragon fire, but I just love Sherlock!!!Wink

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

It is our fight!~ Tauriel

I fear neither death nor pain! ~Eowyn

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Dec 14 2016, 10:00pm

Post #11 of 16 (3992 views)
Shortcut
I like Sherlock too! [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister is obsessed with him!WinkHeart

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 15 2016, 1:18am

Post #12 of 16 (3987 views)
Shortcut
??? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not that she could survive Dragon fire...

She? Which version of Sherlock Holmes are you thinking of?

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Dec 15 2016, 6:06am

Post #13 of 16 (3982 views)
Shortcut
Benedict Cumberbatch is my fave! [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly hate auto correct with a passion!Mad
Typos will be the death of me! Frown
As far as I know, there's never been a female Sherlock.

I'm not a Psychopath, I'm a High-Functioning Sociopath, do your research.
But I don't regret, nor will I forget, all who took that road with me. Night is now falling, so ends this day. The road is now calling and I must away. Over hill, and under tree, through lands where never light has shined. I turned at last to paths that lead home.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 15 2016, 2:07pm

Post #14 of 16 (3962 views)
Shortcut
Shirley Holmes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As far as I know, there's never been a female Sherlock.

No, not in movies or television as far as I am aware. At Eerie Con 2016 (held in Grand Island, NY), author Keith R.A. DeCandido read a short story he wrote that featured a young Shirley Holmes who lives in modern New York City and her newly acquired companion John Watson. The story will appear in a forthcoming Sherlock Holmes anthology.

Baker Street Irregulars: Thirteen Authors With New Takes on Sherlock Holmes. Paperback – March 21, 2017:
https://www.amazon.com/...erlock/dp/1626818401

Don't quote me, but a gender-bent Sherlock Holmes might have appeared in comic-book form a few years back.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 15 2016, 2:13pm)

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Dec 15 2016, 2:39pm

Post #15 of 16 (3949 views)
Shortcut
Haha, Shirley Holmes [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if you watch the BBC version, but Sherlock's "girlfriend" called him 'Sherl' a lot!

"I'm not a Psychopath, I'm a High-Functioning Sociopath, do your research.
But I don't regret, nor will I forget, all who took that road with me. Night is now falling, so ends this day. The road is now calling and I must away. Over hill, and under tree, through lands where never light has shined. I turned at last to paths that lead home."

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Dec 15 2016, 5:16pm

Post #16 of 16 (3941 views)
Shortcut
I think I remember that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.