Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
When did you first read the Silmarillion?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Trond

Oct 6 2016, 4:00am

Post #51 of 76 (1285 views)
Shortcut
On Ted Nasmith [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw what you wrote about Ted Nasmith above, and I agree, he is very good at what he does, and particularly for the Silmarillion. I actually received an email from him a while back when he explained why one of his best Silmarillion illustrations never made it to the book: it contains nudity so the publisher didn't dare to include it, even though it is very respectful of the original story (if interested, look up Turin and Nienor by Ted Nasmith, it is very good).

I also like John Howe's dragon cover for Silmarillion, which was my first English edition.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 6 2016, 12:27pm

Post #52 of 76 (1263 views)
Shortcut
That is neat. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I might have seen that image on the TolkienGateway before, a lot of his artwork is published on that website. I haven't seen John Howe's dragon cover of the Sil, but my family has the Paintings of Middle-earth book which includes a lot of beautiful artwork from different artists, including Mr. Howe.

I have the illustrated edition of the Children of Hurin, which Alan Lee had done. I love the artwork in that book, but I am also fond of the gray illustrations he has featured on the beginning of each chapter of the book.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Trond

Oct 6 2016, 8:22pm

Post #53 of 76 (1242 views)
Shortcut
This is the one [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I could have called it the Fall of Gondolin cover by John Howe :)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 6 2016, 9:51pm

Post #54 of 76 (1234 views)
Shortcut
Ah, beautiful picture! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a amazing cover!
This is the cover of the one I own, not as pretty as some of the other covers, but I like the old feeling look to it. :)

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

(This post was edited by OldestDaughter on Oct 6 2016, 9:54pm)
Attachments: 6672037-M.jpg (14.4 KB)

a.s.
Valinor

Oct 6 2016, 11:41pm

Post #55 of 76 (1227 views)
Shortcut
As soon as it was published (1977). 3 Times. Maybe. Maybe 2.5. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the olden days of yore (1977) one had to order books and pick them up at the bookseller's or get them in regular mail. I don't remember anymore how I pre-ordered it, but I do, in fact, have a first American edition.

I have read it three times, although if I'm honest, maybe more like partially read that last time. Once when I held the precious in my hands (oh boy, I was disappointed), once more a few years later just to make sure I hadn't dreamed about how badly I thought it read, this new and eagerly anticipated book by my hero JRRT, and once more (skimming heavily) for a long-ago read-through in the RR.

I realize this is a personal opinion not shared by many, and that many enjoy the book and find it enjoyable.

I would not be one of them. Give me hobbits.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

a.s.
Valinor

Oct 6 2016, 11:45pm

Post #56 of 76 (1234 views)
Shortcut
huh--should have read this first!! my sentiments, exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, but also I find it boring.

I mean, capital B, boring.

But yeah, that part about the sore spot from my youth deeply buried? EXACTLY!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 7 2016, 12:02am

Post #57 of 76 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Your opinion is perfectly fine! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile I love the book, but it is really hard to get through, so it can make it not as enjoyable as you would like it to be.

I was happy to read familiar faces such as Galadriel and Elrond in the book.

squire
Half-elven

Oct 7 2016, 12:12am

Post #58 of 76 (1224 views)
Shortcut
To rub the sore spot [In reply to] Can't Post

"We can write a long footnote
On every word he ever wrote
And despite the Silmarillion
We wish he'd writ another million"
-from an ancient ode to the Reading Room

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Trond

Oct 7 2016, 12:30am

Post #59 of 76 (1204 views)
Shortcut
It took a while to get into for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Particularly when I first picked it up, and read the Music of the Ainur. I was very confused. But I must have liked it even the first time around, since I managed to get through it in Danish Cool. I read it in English later, and since then I have looked up some of the stories here and there. I also read the shorter "Quenta" not so long ago.

Actually, the Quenta was very interesting (see History of Middle-Earth Vol 4), since it is the only Silmarillion that Tolkien himself finished. It is definitely shorter though. Tolkien added much detail later, and Christopher Tolkien put it all together in the published Silmarillion. I would not say that it is better than the published version but the Quenta it has a charm of its own. Just be aware that it looks patchy because Christopher inserts comments everywhere, and Tolkien changed some of the names later, most notably abandoning the word "gnomes" for the Noldor.

One more thing about reading Tolkien: his three main works, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion are written in three very different styles. I'm amazed that they were made by the same person. Some people only like one or two of those styles, while others enjoy all three.

a.s.
Valinor

Oct 7 2016, 12:49am

Post #60 of 76 (1218 views)
Shortcut
OK I need the whole thing now... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have that ode saved anywhere--what's the rest?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

squire
Half-elven

Oct 7 2016, 1:12am

Post #61 of 76 (1236 views)
Shortcut
From back when the RR was intimidating... yet cheerful [In reply to] Can't Post

And so start sixteen months of fun
With our third triennial run
Through the long Tolkienic Tome
By those who call this Room their home.

So stretch your legs and give a cheer
To make the others come in here
And join the board that knows no fluff:
(It's true we shun the hugs and stuff).

The threads are long and very prosy,
Even Curious gets dozy!
And see the scholars over there:
For each there is a squishy chair.

Citing HoME while slyly winking:
Thinking hard or hardly thinking?
Both Main and Movie back away;
We even scared a troll today.

We can write a long footnote
On every word that Tolkien wrote.
And despite the Silmarillion
We wish he'd writ another million.

So crack the book and spread the map,
And don't forget your thinking cap.
Some coffee, too, is smart to bring;
Come grab a seat and read the Ring!

Written to inaugurate the famous Third Discussion of LotR in 2005-06. (Unfortunately the links are now down to all the 'Old Boards' discussions, but we have Top Men working on it right now.)

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

a.s.
Valinor

Oct 7 2016, 1:21am

Post #62 of 76 (1217 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the whole shebang. I hope the Top Men [In reply to] Can't Post

and, of course, the Top Women, as I'm sure you meant to say, get the old thing working again. Y'all (well, us all, I remember that discussion) were a talkative bunch in those days.

Miss them like crazy.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 7 2016, 12:18pm

Post #63 of 76 (1182 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it took me a bit of while as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not read the Quenta in the History of Middle-earth collection. I own the Return of the Shadow, but haven't finished it yet, (still need to though.) I have read the End of the Third Age, or a shorter version of Sauron defeated. I probably should read those some time, because they are all very interesting on Tolkien's original ideas of his stories.

I have read and enjoyed the Children of Hurin, because I feel that compared to the chapter in the Silmarillion, it's almost easier to get through. I almost felt that the Children of Hurin was written in a writing style that came almost in between the styles of the Silmarillion and the LOTR's. I enjoyed it so much when I read it!

His three works are written very differently, and I loved how they were. He put his three Middle-earth tales to paper with the different styles that belonged to each of them. And it truly did belong to each of them. The lightness of the Hobbit complemented the LOTR's, which got darker and darker by each chapter. And the Silmarillion served as a dark prequel to the LOTR's, which ended up fairly heavy by the ROTK.

That said, Tolkien was a genius by his works, and not just his Middle-earth books, but also by his minor works such as Farmer Giles of Ham, or the Father Christmas Letters, which are both lighter and more innocent than even the Hobbit!

Trond

Oct 7 2016, 4:36pm

Post #64 of 76 (1159 views)
Shortcut
Farmer Giles of Ham [In reply to] Can't Post

I really should read Farmer Giles of Ham someday soon.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 7 2016, 6:59pm

Post #65 of 76 (1144 views)
Shortcut
You would enjoy it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I did!Smile

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 7 2016, 8:03pm

Post #66 of 76 (1136 views)
Shortcut
IMO, Farmer is the funniest thing JRRT ever wrote. // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2016, 8:29pm

Post #67 of 76 (1129 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 7 2016, 9:41pm

Post #68 of 76 (1118 views)
Shortcut
That's excellent! // [In reply to] Can't Post

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Trond

Oct 9 2016, 3:14am

Post #69 of 76 (1073 views)
Shortcut
OK will find it in the library :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thinking about it, some of my favorite parts of the Silmarillion are the story of Thingol and Melian (another romantic story), their forest and cave home, and some of the people they interact with.

And, a very different one, I find the the story of Eol and Aredhel intriguing. Eol, the "dark elf", is weird and gloomy, and probably abusive, and he made Turin's cursed sword Gurthang (though it was in Thingol's collection first). This is one of the stories where the published Silmarillion is definitely the best version (it is very sketchy in the Quenta and even more so in Lost Tales)

Picture removed - too large! - entmaiden

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 21 2016, 11:03pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 9 2016, 3:58pm

Post #70 of 76 (1037 views)
Shortcut
I also find the story of Eol and Aredhel very interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of the stories in that book that gives you a creep edge feeling.Unimpressed But it's interesting all the same! Also, Eol's curse on his son before his death is creepy too. Eol was just a creepier individual, (maybe even more so than Grima Wormtongue, who was creepy.)

Thingol and Melian are good characters in The Sil, and they are probably some of the only ones that are connected with so many of the characters in the book.
For Turin's part of the story, Mim and Petty-dwarves were interesting characters, and were pretty much the only antagonistic dwarves in Tolkien's legends.

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 21 2016, 3:24pm

Post #71 of 76 (858 views)
Shortcut
First experience [In reply to] Can't Post

I listened to the german audio book of the Silmarilion before I even tried to read the book itself (which I have done, I must have been around 25). I quite like how it's read and I'm now thinking I should get the english version as well (any suggestions?). I imagine it would be great to listen to it while I drive to work! Smile

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 21 2016, 4:14pm

Post #72 of 76 (851 views)
Shortcut
That is neat! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't listened to it audio, but you can find it on Amazon, but it's a little expensive. For book version, I would recommend the illustrated version with Ted Nasmith's paintings. The artwork is beautiful and it fits the stories as you read them!

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 21 2016, 10:36pm

Post #73 of 76 (841 views)
Shortcut
Audio book [In reply to] Can't Post

I´ve seen the audio version on amazon, might be good christmas present? Wink I was thinking about buyinganother book version, I just have a simple one without any illutsrations.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 22 2016, 2:02pm

Post #74 of 76 (823 views)
Shortcut
Might be an [In reply to] Can't Post

excellent Christmas present!Smile

And yes, the illustrated version of the Silmarillion is wonderful. I actually own a version with no paintings, but I when I first read it, I had borrowed the illustrated one from the library, and it's very beautiful.

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 22 2016, 2:43pm

Post #75 of 76 (817 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

for your recommendation. I will certainly look it up Smile. Certain drawings just boost your imagination even more (not that Tolkien writing doesn't do that alreadyWink) , but you get the feeling 'yes, that's exactly how I thought it would look like'.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.