The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Charge of the Rohirrim and the Battle of Vienna

Cari
Bree

Oct 20 2016, 5:29pm

Post #1 of 5 (1688 views)
Shortcut
Charge of the Rohirrim and the Battle of Vienna Can't Post

I'm a history major in college focusing on classical history, but I have recently been learning about the Battle of Vienna. It gave me the question of whether or not this battle may have inspired the famous charge of the Rohirrim in RotK. The Polish charge was the largest cavalry charge in military history and Tolkien surely knew about the battle.
Is there any indication that this may be the case?

squire
Half-elven

Oct 20 2016, 6:26pm

Post #2 of 5 (1665 views)
Shortcut
It's generally thought that Tolkien had the episode in mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...although I don't know that Tolkien ever himself acknowledged a connection. In our last discussion of the battle, I inserted a question to see if anyone saw any similarities, but it didn't inspire any chat (discussion thread here, see question L at the very bottom of the page).

Tom Shippey, in The Road to Middle-earth, suggests similarities also with the earlier, and more in line with Tolkien's love of early medieval sources, Battle of the Catalaunian Plains (which I discovered when looking up this question in Hammond & Scull's LotR Reader's Companion, p. 563).

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

hanne
Lorien

Oct 21 2016, 12:33am

Post #3 of 5 (1637 views)
Shortcut
question L... [In reply to] Can't Post

Shame we didn't respond at the time. I remember thinking that the maps you posted were great.

You inspired me to take a peek at Wikipedia. I am sure that Tolkien invented his own charge, but it's interesting to see the elements that make people think he was inspired by these two battles.

Elements of the 1683 Battle of Vienna that sound Rohirric:
The mounted army emerged from a forest.
There was a massive number of horsemen (18,000).
The besieged garrison made a sortie in response to the charge.
It was all over within three hours.
(But, they were expected, they charged downhill.)

Elements of the 451 Battle of the Catalaunian Plains that sound Rohirric:
The attacking king was killed and thrown from his horse.
His name was Theodoric and he fell "where the dead lay thickest".
The name "Goth" features.
So do heroic songs.
(But both sides spend a day setting up their positions, the cavalry charge was not a deciding factor.)

Cari
Bree

Oct 21 2016, 12:59am

Post #4 of 5 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Parallels [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are some interesting thoughts. Although the battle may not have inspired the rohirrim charge, it is very fascinating to see the parallels between the two battles. Maybe Tolkien just knew how to make a very dramatic and fitting scene for breaking a siege :P

emre43
Rohan

Oct 25 2016, 12:31pm

Post #5 of 5 (1553 views)
Shortcut
I think it was based on the battle of the Catalaunian Plains [In reply to] Can't Post

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Catalaunian_Plains
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodoric_I

I never killed a man who didn't need killing
- Clay Allison

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.