The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
LOTR Appendices (and prologue) read-through: schedule, signups

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 19 2016, 11:39am

Post #1 of 14 (3594 views)
Shortcut
LOTR Appendices (and prologue) read-through: schedule, signups Can't Post

The LOTR Read-through is now into its final chapters, and the plan after that is to work through the Appendices and Prologue. Some of the Appendices are very much reference-like material, which might be difficult to discuss in our usual format. Hence the plan to have themed discussions, which draw from the more narrative or encyclopedia-style entries, and allow anyone who needs to to draw upon the other appendices

Here's the schedule - note that there are spaces where volunteers for chapter leader would be welcomed:

06-Nov-16 1 Concerning Hobbits (from the Prologue, plus hobbit-related items from the Appendices)
13-Nov-16 2 Numenor (from Appendix A.I. i - iii)
20-Nov-16 3 Gondor and the Heirs of Anarion (from Appendix A.I. iv) Hamfast Gamgee
27-Nov-16 4 The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen ((from Appendix A.I. v) enanito
04-Dec-16 5 House of Eorl (from Appendix A.II)
11-Dec-16 6 Durin's Folk (from Appendix A.III) squire
18-Dec-16 7 LAST WEEK : "It's Over. It's Done" - a week of AOB, and a chance for folks to post thoughts & reflections on this, the Sixth Reading Room LOTR Read-through. NoWizardMe

I confess to some nervousness about having gaps when these dates are getting close. If we have weeks with no volunteers then my Plan B is to do a very basic first post (they will become extremely basic if I have to do several - probably just indicating what is on the agenda for this week and inviting thoughts). That ought to keep us moving, though it puts more onus on repliers.

If anyone does want to lead a discussion of an Appendix that is not on the list then by all means speak up - such a discussion could go in place of one of the unloved ones on the list. Or we could manage two discussions in one week, as we have before.

~~~~~~

Volunteers are still needed to lead chapters for our read-thorough of Book VI ROTK (and the appendices if there are sufficient volunteers)
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=909709#909709

A wonderful list of links to Book I - Book V chapters in this read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

enanito
Rohan

Oct 20 2016, 3:37pm

Post #2 of 14 (3507 views)
Shortcut
First time in a TORN Appendices-ReadThrough for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks as always, NWM, for helping move things along. I'm not sure if there's any past 'protocol' for dealing with something like the Appendices, but from my pov it's going to be nice to get much better insight into whatever we are able to cover (I'll be happy with just whatever we get!).

I feel like I've got some kind of handle on many parts of LOTR, but there's a lot of meat to chew on in the Appendices, and usually when I read thru them much of it just blurs out in my mind :)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 20 2016, 9:14pm

Post #3 of 14 (3485 views)
Shortcut
I can do Numenor, and [In reply to] Can't Post

if no one else speaks up, I'll take a stab at the Prologue/Hobbits.

You've gotten us throuh the War of the Ring, Wiz, and can't be expected to do everything. (Except I thought Shadowfax could do just about everything--you haven't taught him typing yet? :) )

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 21 2016, 12:01am

Post #4 of 14 (3468 views)
Shortcut
I will do the House of Eorl. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always loved the Rohirrim!

What is the chance we can find someone to discuss Appendix B? I find it absolutely fascinating, and there are secrets there waiting to be found! There are two past discussions available on squire's Footerama

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 21 2016, 9:17am

Post #5 of 14 (3453 views)
Shortcut
I am also a Shadowfax, don't you know! [In reply to] Can't Post

Many thanks for doing Numenor. Elizabeth has volunteered to do Eorl, so I'll do Hobbits and then we have a programme!

~~~~~~

Volunteers are still needed to lead chapters for our read-thorough of Book VI ROTK (and the appendices if there are sufficient volunteers)

A wonderful list of links to Book I - Book V chapters in this read-through (and to previous read-throughs) is curated by our very own 'squire' here http://users.bestweb.net/...-SixthDiscussion.htm

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 21 2016, 9:21am

Post #6 of 14 (3453 views)
Shortcut
Thanks - and if anyone wants to do B as a separate discussion, they just need to let me know [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for volunteering to do Eorl - a nice equestrian one for you!

I imagine that Appendix B might get referred to a lot by the various themed discussions, But if anyone wants to lead a discussion of it (or of any other omitted appendix), I'm happy to add it to the schedule. As not much else is happening in the Reading Room at present, I'm confident that we could have two discussions running in a week without there being a problem (or find another solution).

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 21 2016, 9:36am

Post #7 of 14 (3460 views)
Shortcut
Yay, we have a complete list now! [In reply to] Can't Post

06-Nov-16 1 Concerning Hobbits (from the Prologue, plus hobbit-related items from the Appendices) noWizardMe
13-Nov-16 2 Numenor (from Appendix A.I. i - iii) CuriousG
20-Nov-16 3 Gondor and the Heirs of Anarion (from Appendix A.I. iv) Hamfast Gamgee
27-Nov-16 4 The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen ((from Appendix A.I. v) enanito
04-Dec-16 5 House of Eorl (from Appendix A.II) Elizabeth
11-Dec-16 6 Durin's Folk (from Appendix A.III) squire
18-Dec-16 7 LAST WEEK :"It's Over. It's Done" - a week of AOB, and a chance for folks to post thoughts & reflections on this, the Sixth Reading Room LOTR Read-through. NoWizardMe

If anyone wants to lead a discussion a of a particular appendix that is left out (e.g. a discussion of calendars or writing systems, or Appendix B), then please let me know. In theory the other appendices will come up as required during these discussions (for example, I'll invite comments on Family Trees and on Calendars as those pertain to hobbits). But clearly it could be better to have a discussion led by somebody who has thought about a particular thing deeply - they just have to volunteer if they wish to.

And of course in reality, anyone can post any discussion subject at any time (within the usual TOS)

~~~~~~

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 22 2016, 10:52am

Post #8 of 14 (3415 views)
Shortcut
Appendix B [In reply to] Can't Post

If a read-through of that appendix is wanted, I could lead it?

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 22 2016, 1:47pm

Post #9 of 14 (3404 views)
Shortcut
Splendid! [In reply to] Can't Post

When would you like to do it?
I could put you on the week beginning 18 December and slide the wrap-up back a week, if that would suit you?

~~~~~~

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 22 2016, 6:33pm

Post #10 of 14 (3388 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure I could do that! Smile

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

enanito
Rohan

Oct 28 2016, 6:22pm

Post #11 of 14 (3298 views)
Shortcut
Replacing the sticky post [In reply to] Can't Post

We should unstick the previous Read-Through post and make this one sticky so it stands out.

Just so people don't get misled by the very top Read-Through post being out-of-date.

No big deal, of course!

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 29 2016, 10:17am

Post #12 of 14 (3283 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really understand... Blush

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 29 2016, 1:02pm

Post #13 of 14 (3281 views)
Shortcut
It's a request for admin - yes please admins, happy for you to do this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Our wonderful admins can make a post "sticky", which means that it stays at the top of the page for reference, rather than dropping down the page as newer things are posted.

It's a good idea: I just hadn't got around to requesting an admin to do this (& un-sticky the old schedule post).

~~~~~~

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 29 2016, 3:36pm

Post #14 of 14 (3274 views)
Shortcut
Ah [In reply to] Can't Post

I was confused as enanito's post was in reply to mine...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.