Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Best Film Series
Poll: Best Film Series
Star Wars
Harry Potter
Middle Earth
Pirates of be Caribbean
Batman
Marvel Cinematic Universe
DC Cinematic Universe
James Bond
Indiana Jones
Other
View Results (36 votes)

HOBBITFAN13
Lorien

Oct 18 2016, 12:32pm

Post #1 of 10 (942 views)
Shortcut
Best Film Series Can't Post

What is your favorite film series? And which film series do you think has the best film out of all of them?

Meneldor
Valinor

Oct 18 2016, 12:46pm

Post #2 of 10 (909 views)
Shortcut
To my way of thinking, you're asking two different questions. [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, LotR is the best film series: as an exercise in film-making, it is practically a masterpiece.

Although it falls short of LotR especially in acting and writing, I think SW is more fun to watch, so that's my favorite.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 18 2016, 4:15pm

Post #3 of 10 (891 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth, [In reply to] Can't Post

That is my favorite and I believe it's the best film series. But I am also a Pirates of the Caribbean fan as well!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 18 2016, 6:24pm

Post #4 of 10 (875 views)
Shortcut
argh [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, the DC film universe needs major help. Major major help. Their TV series seem to be better.

Star Wars hit me before I read LOTR ( a year before I read the books), so it stands as my favorite, though I think the Marvel films are more cohesive and over the course of many many films, have maintained their quality.

Of course, Middle Earth is fabulous. I still like the books better. Except I like the Hobbit films better. And ... oh... gee...

Nobody mentioned the How to Train Your Dragon films/TV series's which were awesome.

I blame Pirates for my obsession with boats with wooden hulls, sails and cannons... and for surviving the Great East Coast Earthquake (Aug 23, 2011) on a pirate ship... true story.

https://youtu.be/2Kv43UBc-jY?t=1

And of course the Harry Potter series is intelligent storytelling at its best.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 18 2016, 6:36pm

Post #5 of 10 (872 views)
Shortcut
LOTR; Battleship Potemkin [In reply to] Can't Post

Best film series: Jackson's LOTR (2001-2003).

Best film in a series: Battleship Potemkin (1925) in Eisenstein's Revolution Trilogy. (Arguably the best film ever made.)

Annael
Immortal

Oct 18 2016, 10:25pm

Post #6 of 10 (849 views)
Shortcut
going by movies I have watched again and again and again: Monty Python [In reply to] Can't Post

"Holy Grail" being the best of the bunch.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 19 2016, 2:25am

Post #7 of 10 (818 views)
Shortcut
Back to the Future [In reply to] Can't Post

As a film series, I love the interplay between the films and how they created continuity between them. It is amazing to think that Zemeckis was able to tie the sequels in with the original the way he did without having CGI to fix things for him. The "Back to the Future" trilogy had an excellent balance between dramatic tension and light-hearted comedy that didn't break continuity "Doc, are you telling me that you built a time machine out of a Delorean?".

In terms of best single film in a film series, I have to go with "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan". It had everything -- classic Trek (with the characters more or less being IN CHARACTER), comedy, dramatic tension, a stirring soundtrack, quotable lines ("I don't believe in the no-win scenario" and "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few ... or the one" and "You lied." "I exaggerated.").

My second choice for film series would probably be the first 9 or 10 films in the Bond series. Roger Moore really began grating on me some time around "Moonraker". I enjoyed "Moonraker" and "For Your Eyes Only" but Moore was getting too old and the films didn't quite have the panache of "Goldfinger" or "Thunderball" or "The Man with the Golden Gun".

My second choice for best film in a film series would probably be "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". Sean Connery was perfect as Harrison Ford's father and the scene when father and son realize they both slept with the same Nazi agent was hilarious.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 19 2016, 3:38am

Post #8 of 10 (812 views)
Shortcut
I like to put a notable mention in for the Underworld films. [In reply to] Can't Post

They aren't my favourite film series (that's the Middle-earth movies ... well, LOTR, really) but they're right up there. And there's another one coming out soon. Smile

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 19 2016, 11:43pm

Post #9 of 10 (760 views)
Shortcut
Middle-earth, always [In reply to] Can't Post

but I never miss a James Bond movie or a Star Trek movie and I've enjoyed so many of the films and series on your list it's hard to pick favorites. An Unexpected Journey is probably my favorite film, but I also loved the first 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movie, & 'Goldeneye' is my favorite Bond film, while "The Last Crusade is my favorite Indiana Jones movie. Lots of good stuff on your list Smile

And hey, for lovers of old movies, how about the Thin Man series!

(This post was edited by Elarie on Oct 19 2016, 11:44pm)

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 27 2016, 2:57pm

Post #10 of 10 (660 views)
Shortcut
I love the Thin Man films! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are some of my favorite old movies! Along with the old Marx Brother movies!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.