First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 26 2016, 1:35pm

Post #126 of 140 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Blue beards [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It seems pretty clear to me that ''blue beard'' literally refers to just that -- a beard that is blue. Same as with Kili and Fili having ''yellow beards'' (although that would be arguably less awkward). And the term is separated, not together, like you typed -- it's not a single word meaning something else..

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that, traditionally, blue is used to describe a hair color that could be more properly described as blueish-gray. A different example is found in the Encarta World English Dictionary:

At the literary gatherings held in houses of fashionable mid-18th-century hostesses, it became the custom to wear casual rather than full formal dress. In the case of gentlemen's stockings, this meant gray worsted (conventionally called "blue" at the time rather than black silk.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 26 2016, 1:39pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 26 2016, 3:00pm

Post #127 of 140 (1519 views)
Shortcut
I suppose it depends where you are.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never come across any traditional use of blue as a hair colour. The closest thing I can think of was 'blue rinse' which older women used at one time on grey hair if it had a yellowish tinge, to make it more white. There was an expression 'blue-rinsed ladies' which I don't think is used much now, probably because hair dyes have come a long way since then.

But I don't suppose that's what Tolkien meant. In any case, whether he meant the blue beard literally or not, I think it would have looked odd on screen. Like the eyebrows that stick out beyond the brim of Gandalf's hat - it's an exaggeration which is fine in the book but would be ridiculous taken literally in a film.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 26 2016, 5:30pm

Post #128 of 140 (1503 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

Roan is a well known colour across many animals - think horses, cattle, dogs. When there is an even mix of coat colour, the visual impression is one of an overall tone.
So strawberry roan in a horse is a mix of chestnut and white/grey, which gives the animal an almost pink look.
With blue roan, the mixture of black and white/grey gives a blue impression.
A blue beard to me would mean a blue roan look. Think of someone you know who has gone fairly evenly grey - their hair often has a blue tinge. Look at this blue roan horse - no one would say it is actually blue, but that is how the coat colour is described.

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 28 2016, 1:52pm

Post #129 of 140 (1468 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

was great.Heart I think Martin Freeman was perfect for that role. And he was funny without beeing silly, which I felt Radagast was at times.
I had a problem with Thranduil beeing protrayed as almost a villain. I think Lee Pace did give him such a grat elvish air and royalness. I would I have liked to see more of him instead of this whole strange love triangle, whick I frankly did not get.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

May you have the hindsight to know
where you've been,
the foresight to know where you're going to and
the insight to know when you're going too far.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 29 2016, 11:21am

Post #130 of 140 (1436 views)
Shortcut
Yes I loved Bilbo! [In reply to] Can't Post

His mannerisms were beautiful!
I agree, in the films Thranduil was a bit too horrible, and as for the love triangle, it was a stupid attempt to widen appeal at the cost of the story.

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 29 2016, 11:54pm

Post #131 of 140 (1398 views)
Shortcut
For me: [In reply to] Can't Post

Not necessarily the best 'adaptations', but:

The best characters were Thorin, Bilbo, Gandalf, Smaug, Balin, Beorn (though there was not enough of the latter), and Elrond (even though he was seen comparatively briefly).

I would have liked other characters, such as Thranduil, much more, had they been given complete roles in the film (because for me, Thranduil's was incomplete and could have been much improved had it been fleshed out, all possible in the time allotted to the films if those below had been omitted).

The worst characters by far for me were Alfrid, Legolas and Turiel (the latter due to the inclusion of the character, rather than any particular complaint about the portrayal, unlike with the other two mentioned).

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 30 2016, 3:19pm

Post #132 of 140 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Agree on all your points [In reply to] Can't Post

But I would have prefered more of Bilbo or Fili as opposed to Thranduil

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Nov 1 2016, 1:34am

Post #133 of 140 (1284 views)
Shortcut
I liked Bofur myself. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 1 2016, 11:09am

Post #134 of 140 (1255 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I did enjoy him, and I love his accent, although I may be biased, since we come from the same country. Wink

Yngwulff
Gondor

Nov 3 2016, 11:16pm

Post #135 of 140 (1203 views)
Shortcut
I thought all the characters were spot on. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just didn't agree to some of PJs plot/storyline changes

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 5 2016, 2:08pm

Post #136 of 140 (1173 views)
Shortcut
Storyline changes? [In reply to] Can't Post

What about the character adaptation of Kili, for example? In the movie he's a flirtatious and rather rude dwarf, unlike in the book. Did you agree to that storyline change? A lot of the character adaptations change the storyline/plot slightly from what it is in the book.

Funny enough, I think you are one of the only people who I've heard say all the characters are spot on!

Edit: Or maybe you don't think character changes influence the plot/storyline at all?

(This post was edited by Ingwion on Nov 5 2016, 2:09pm)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Nov 5 2016, 3:25pm

Post #137 of 140 (1163 views)
Shortcut
Well we don't hear much about Kili in the book anyways. On the other hand, Dwarves can be rather terse with others, just look at how Dwalin meets Bilbo in the film. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 5 2016, 3:26pm

Post #138 of 140 (1162 views)
Shortcut
How Dwalin meets Bilbo in the film? [In reply to] Can't Post

But not in the books Tongue

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Nov 5 2016, 3:41pm

Post #139 of 140 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Yes; in the film, Dwalin is quite terse with Bilbo. [In reply to] Can't Post

On the other hand, Dwarf stereotypes seem to be either absent-minded like Doc in Snow White or grumpy, like, well, Grumpy, also from Snow White.

Ingwion
Lorien

Nov 5 2016, 3:43pm

Post #140 of 140 (1158 views)
Shortcut
Yes I know [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm saying Dwalin isn't like that in the books, so the character is slightly changed.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.