Best & Worst character adaptations in The Hobbit Trilogy
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 12 2016, 4:49pm

Post #1 of 140 (2917 views)
Shortcut
Best & Worst character adaptations in The Hobbit Trilogy Can't Post

Who are those characters in TH movies who you think Peter Jackson absolutely ruined, if any? Is there any characters he improved? Do you think Alfrid or Radagast were silly?

Thoughts! Smile

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2016, 5:01pm

Post #2 of 140 (2672 views)
Shortcut
I like Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

As an unexpected way to put hi, onscreen he fits visually with all the imaginery of th trilogy

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to The Battle for the Fifth Trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

There and Back Again Traveller

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 12 2016, 5:03pm

Post #3 of 140 (2667 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Although we didn't see enough of him at the Battle of the Five Armies

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

DainPig
Gondor

Oct 12 2016, 5:37pm

Post #4 of 140 (2658 views)
Shortcut
Bard and Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard was so greatly improved. In the book he just apperead from nowhere, like no character development he was just there and killed the dragon. In the films he has a larger role not just as the leader of men, but as a father who loves his family and will do anything to protect them.

On the other head, Beorn was not so well adapted. I don't think the character is awful, he just could have been better used. Firstly, his visual: come on, is he Sonic the Hedgehog? And where's is his mustache??? Beorn was supposed to be manacing like in the book, but Mikeal Presbrandt don't really scary me. His expressions are always like "oh, look how furious I am, buh!" you can clearly see this in the introduction scene (extended edition).

Also, if I were to adapt the book I would put Beorn to kill Azog and save Thorin. The Beorn subplot in Dol Guldur should have stayed in the film, but unfortunaly Mr. Legolas stole his role. MadMadMad

No, I don't think Radagast or Alfrid were silly. Alfrid is funny, but he shouldn't have such a big role. If someone ever make a Alfrid film with Ryan Gage (good actor, IMO), I'd watch it.

Radagast was adorable and it would have been great to see him in action. You know, actually killing things and saving the day. I wonder if there's any footage of him in the Battle.

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

historiasderafaelrodriguesdarocha.blogspot.com

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 12 2016, 5:42pm

Post #5 of 140 (2655 views)
Shortcut
Alfrid and Radagast [In reply to] Can't Post

I firmly think Alfrid is silly. I enjoy humour in movies, but not the kind of stupid jokes which belong in "Tom and Jerry"

On the other hand, I love Radagast, although I don't think he should have been in the battle. Radagast doesn't seem that kinda Istari to me Wink

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 12 2016, 7:29pm

Post #6 of 140 (2642 views)
Shortcut
Menacing? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't call Beorn of the book 'menacing' so much as 'intimidating' and I think he worked on film to that extent.

We can't really talk about Alfrid as an adaptation, though, as he was an original character to the film. And Radagast appears so briefly in Tolkien's legendarium (and not in The Hobbit except as a name) that PJ nearly had free-reign with him.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 12 2016, 7:59pm

Post #7 of 140 (2638 views)
Shortcut
I'll get utterly crucified for this... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I still vastly prefer the morally grey, arrogant git that was Thorin in the book over the film version.

Thorin in the book was a fascinating character, very morally dubious, prideful and arrogant, but a very heroic and noble figure in his own flawed way, every bit the forceful king in exile, a deeply flawed old man who falls victim to his own hubris and the tragedy of his upbringing, Thorin in the films was for me a largely generic, blandly heroic oh so tragic warrior in his prime rarely deserving of the endless hero worship lavished on him and largely lacking the moral greyness of his book counterpart, Jackson and co strove so hard to try and make Thorin more approachable and tragic it only ended up annoying me and making him a much less interesting character i.m.o.

*Ducks rotten fruit thrown in his direction*

LSF
Gondor

Oct 12 2016, 9:02pm

Post #8 of 140 (2625 views)
Shortcut
Everything except "old "... [In reply to] Can't Post

Applies to movie thorin, too. I really don't see how your description doesn't.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 12 2016, 9:05pm

Post #9 of 140 (2620 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

was really put well to screen. I loved both loved and feared his character!

One I didn't care for as much was Dain. Nothing wrong with the character, I just wasn't a fan of Billy Connelly's take on him.

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 12 2016, 10:32pm

Post #10 of 140 (2598 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he absolutely ruined anything. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil wasn't my Elvenking - my childhood favourite character - even so, I thought he was a very good interpretation of the character, rooted in the books and with a lot of the First Age elf about him. And I thought Lee Pace (an actor I'd never heard of) played him really well.

Thorin was also a long way from the Thorin I'd imagined but that was an even easier change to accept - despite the character flaws which are his ultimate downfall I found him deeper and more interesting - and ultimately more sympathetic. I never liked him in the book.

I had a problem with Radagast initially because I've never liked Sylvester McCoy as an actor, I've always found him a bit silly: I was won over by the design really - there were some beautiful concept drawings and I loved his house and his rabbits and birds. And I think he was written well (though I could have done without the stick insect).

Alfrid I thought rather good in DoS - he and Stepher Fry's Master complemented each other well. I think they could have toned him down a bit in BotFA.

I really liked the characterisation of Beorn. Again, not as I'd imagined him, but much more magical and wild.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Ettelewen
Rohan

Oct 12 2016, 10:48pm

Post #11 of 140 (2591 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed Martin Freeman's Bilbo, and feel the character was adapted to the screen very well.

I don't have a "worst" to offer. Most of the characters were a bit different from how I'd envisioned them while reading the book, but it hasn't bothered me. None were "ruined", in my opinion.

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 12 2016, 10:50pm

Post #12 of 140 (2590 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Wonderfully adapted, but I really did not like him. The character was played and adapted perfectly though.

As for Dain, the Scottish "To the King, to the King!" is brilliant and rallying. Very Dwarvish. Didn't care for his mount. And the unnecessary bad language.

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 12 2016, 10:55pm

Post #13 of 140 (2588 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Hobbit movies, and I asked if anyone thought any characters had been ruined purely because I knew some people did think that.

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 12 2016, 10:56pm

Post #14 of 140 (2581 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman, for me one of the highlights of the trilogy. Absolutely amazing acting and he's hilarious without being stupid and cheesy like BOFA Alfrid

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 12 2016, 11:13pm

Post #15 of 140 (2575 views)
Shortcut
The bad language is what threw me off [In reply to] Can't Post

about Dain. I have to admit, I did love how excited he got over the war chariot in the extended edition!Wink

Also I read that Billy Connelly wasn't a Tolkien fan, which is well and fine, but to me almost seem to meld into the character. And that just kinda didn't do the most for me, as did his language.

Thranduil, it is a matter if you like him or not, because he did do things that made him unlikable (even though I liked his character because he was an antagonist on the side of the good) I felt that he was more menacing in Battle of the Five Armies than Desolation of Smaug.

Another character who was put well to screen was Smaug. He looked amazing as did Gollum and Treebeard from LOTR's, and he was a dark and scary villain. Also as some had knew Benedict Cumberbatch before he played the dragon, Smaug was the first role I had ever seen him in!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 12 2016, 11:20pm

Post #16 of 140 (2567 views)
Shortcut
It felt like [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ just HAD to throw in an expletive before TH trilogy was over. It was totally unnecessary.

Thranduil seems so cold and hard to me, but I enjoyed him immensely.

Smaug was stunning. The shot of the gold dripping off him as he twisted round in the sky, combined with the wonderful music, was superb

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 12 2016, 11:27pm

Post #17 of 140 (2561 views)
Shortcut
I don't know why though, [In reply to] Can't Post

It was unnecessary. Oh well.

That is what I liked about Thranduil! He was a cold individual to deal with, and it was one of the films' first character who was so cold and creepy.(Saying one, cause Denethor was pretty cold in LOTR!)

That was my favorite part of the second Hobbit film! The Middle-earth films always had so many beautiful shots in the films, and Smaug covered in gold was one. The whole scene when he emerges from the Golden River screaming for revenge, is just so powerful.

Ettelewen
Rohan

Oct 12 2016, 11:35pm

Post #18 of 140 (2555 views)
Shortcut
Kind of agree about Alfrid [In reply to] Can't Post

While I don't "hate" the character, I just find him sort of annoying.

StingingFly
Lorien

Oct 12 2016, 11:49pm

Post #19 of 140 (2553 views)
Shortcut
Though a flawed overall adaptation of the book, there were several very good characters... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the best among these being Balin. Though if that old dwarf makes me cry one more time, I'm taking him off my list...in particular when he enters the hidden door into Erebor, a great scene.
...the worst for me was Smaug. Yes, I said it. The dragon that can't stop monologueing. He was intimidating, until he just kept blabbing on and on. He sees Bilbo, who inexplicably takes off his ring, and still can't kill him. He ends up in a Scooby Do style monster chase with the Company and doesn't even manage to injure a single dwarf. He for some reason decides to engage in a trash talking session with Bard, for no apparent reason...and is struck down by a silly, unrealistic, home made, black arrow launcher.

Ettelewen
Rohan

Oct 13 2016, 1:52am

Post #20 of 140 (2541 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin is one of my favorites. His character is so well-realized that I felt quite comfortable - even chummy - with him from the start. Very well done.

DainPig
Gondor

Oct 13 2016, 2:52am

Post #21 of 140 (2545 views)
Shortcut
I agree 120% [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug is a retarded dragon.

"Se mais pessoas valorizassem o lar acima do ouro, o mundo seria muito mais feliz."

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 13 2016, 3:15am

Post #22 of 140 (2536 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure I'm in the minority in this thread [In reply to] Can't Post

but I would say the best character adaptation was Bilbo and the worst was Thorin. PJ utterly missed the character of the proud old dwarf and built his own character. The character he built -- IMO -- doesn't work. He's beyond haughty with a chip on his shoulders; he's downright racist as far as Elves are concerned and he makes really stupid decisions.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 13 2016, 6:43am

Post #23 of 140 (2508 views)
Shortcut
What do you mean? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Noria
Gondor

Oct 13 2016, 1:05pm

Post #24 of 140 (2484 views)
Shortcut
One of my favourites is Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I think most of the characters were well adapted, even when they diverge from the book characters. Most of them are somewhat deeper and, to me, more interesting.

I expected great things from Martin Freeman so that was no surprise.

What did surprise me was that Smaug turned out to be one of my favourite characters. I was more-or-less indifferent to him in the book. But I loved movie Smaug – the way he looked and moved and especially his voice and dialogue. Not only was he huge, powerful and smart, he was fallible like all living creatures. His vanity allowed Bilbo to keep on living and pursuing the Arkenstone and all the while Bilbo was accidentally or not getting closer to an escape route. Then his great size and power actually worked against him so that the handful of small, quick Dwarves and Hobbit could elude him. I loved every minute of it, over-the-top Dwarf battle and all.

Alfrid is not an adapted character but I thought he was great in DOS and too much in TBOTFA. Radagast barely qualifies but IMO he was great.

The adaptations that I don’t particularly care for were the Goblin King and the Master. For that I blame PJ’s love of excess, not the actors, despite the stunt casting.

DainPig
Gondor

Oct 13 2016, 2:46pm

Post #25 of 140 (2473 views)
Shortcut
I'm not being sarcastic [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ made Smaug look just dumb. I don't believe Tolkien would have liked of the film dragon. That battle of the forges... hmm, why didn't Smaug just killed them all with his fire? Does he need to wait to "reload" his fire??

Also, Smaug is too big. In the book he was smaller, I believe.

dainpigblog.blogspot.com

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.