TORN's Exclusive Interview with Guillermo Del Toro
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

calisuri
PTB

Apr 25 2008, 1:45pm

Post #1 of 128 (24925 views)
Shortcut
TORN's Exclusive Interview with Guillermo Del Toro Can't Post

Guillermo talked with our Editor Xoanon about "The Hobbit" films...some quick juicy details...

• Ian McKellen basically confirmed...
• Andy Serkis basically confirmed...
• Description of the 'second' film

[Read the Full Interview]

The Mysterious Calisuri

(This post was edited by calisuri on Apr 25 2008, 1:51pm)

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 1:58pm

Post #2 of 128 (20363 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was fast! Thank you so much, all of you!

The more I get to know about who will be involved and what is planned, the better I feel - it sounds so great. It's all so promising and exciting! I'm still on cloud nine!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Apr 25 2008, 2:01pm

Post #3 of 128 (20644 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like they're going back to Matamata after all! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope it doesn't affect our set tour this November, but I'll look on the bright side if it does!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2008, 2:17pm

Post #4 of 128 (19957 views)
Shortcut
PANT PANT GASP [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still in office and I screamed "Yes" when I read this. My co-workers still can't get over my behaviour in here... Oh! Well, it's Friday night, I'm entitled to a little personal bout of craziness. I'm getting comments like "You're like those Star Wars geeks... you know, they're called Trekkies" and so on. I think The Hobbit has just ruined my reputation as the quiet, sober guy in office Blush

Who cares... this is awesome, I'm so glad that while we were all anticipating worse things to come, PJ and Co. were meeting with GDT and getting matters resolved so well. Thanks you for your passion and commitment guys.

Oh... but Mr. Del Toro, if you're reading this (or if anyone else with authority who can ask this question), what about Bilbo? It's nice to hear that Gandalf and Gollum won't change, but Ian Holm is Bilbo. Do you intend getting a younger actor who "ages" into Ian Holm's Bilbo? And for continuity's sake, what about the Prologue scene in FOTR that shows Ian Holm as Bilbo finding the Ring? Questions... questions that need answering, and this geek can't wait, can't wait... musssst... have... the... anssswerss... Evil

(This post was edited by Earl on Apr 25 2008, 2:19pm)

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Apr 25 2008, 2:19pm

Post #5 of 128 (18270 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the interview! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about 90% sure to go to Australia for a bit in 2010, and about 80% sure to tack about a week in New Zealand while we're there. It looks like I might have some great locations to see - and maybe even locations in use!

The Road News and Rumors
http://www.theroadrumors.com

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 2:28pm

Post #6 of 128 (19858 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

your co-workers will have to get used to your reactions to news about 'The Hobbit'. And they can start today! EvilWink

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2008, 2:37pm

Post #7 of 128 (18608 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is excellent news. Del Toro has been one of my top choices to take on The Hobbit ever since I saw Pan's Labyrinth. Everything he's said so far sounds like he's approaching the films with a great attitude. (I'm trying not to let my expectations run too high, though.)

The only question I have is the correction to the AP wire story that announced his selection as director. Del Toro said that the second movie would cover the period between the end of The Hobbit and the beginning of Lord of the Rings, but the AP correction seems to contradict this:

"Please note that this version DELETES INCORRECT reference to second movie spanning time between "Hobbit" and "Rings"; New Line now says movies are based on book only."

Does this mean that the two Hobbit movies are only allowed to make use of material that's in The Hobbit? Or does it mean that Del Toro can use material from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (i.e., the appendices), but not things like The Quest For Erebor that weren't included in the original movie rights? Or is AP totally out to lunch?

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Apr 25 2008, 2:38pm)

_V_
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 2:47pm

Post #8 of 128 (18466 views)
Shortcut
So what do we call the "Second Filim" if not "the bridge film"? [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, Weta Workshop and Weta Digital will be back....talking to Richard Taylor....talking to their prosthetics guy....

***Alan Lee and John Howe will be back! To get the main look and feel of stuff....

****Howard Shore will be back (of course)

***Ian McKellan (Gandalf) and Andy Serkis (Gollum) on board, just waiting to finalize the paperwork

***Wants to use more animatronics than CGI. Frankly I agree; CGI was great for doing lots of stuff which couldn't be done any other way in LOTR, but frankly, ***animatronics will always look more "real" because its physical.

er, for example, many shots of Treebeard are indeed CGI, but there ***IS, a giant, animatronic Treebeard for the closeup shots. Which is better.

*********Okay, I understand he doesn't want it to be just a "bridge film". But I always envisioned the second film as a series of vignettes....apparently he wants it to be a full in and of itself narrative, made using what we know is happening in the intervening years.

***So what do we call it? "The HObbit 2" is wrong because its not like they "invented" a sequel to the HObbit, and that's what that sounds like.

****At least this finally confirms to the idiot mainstream media that "we're not doing "the Hobbit split into two movies" we're doing "The Hobbit" and then another movie.

Let the speculation begin TORNsibs!

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

BuckyUnderbelly
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 3:00pm

Post #9 of 128 (18568 views)
Shortcut
You know ... since the first rumors of his involvement ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... GDT has said EXACTLY the right things.

And the more he talks, the better and better the whole thing sounds.

I was a big proponent of GDT directing from the moment we heard PJ wasn't an option (especially when the troubling rumors of Sam Raimi's involvement were churning), but I have to say ... I'm even MORE excited about his participation now. If such a thing is possible. I really think his addition to this creative team is going to send this whole enterprise over the top. This isn't just going to be a trip back to Middle Earth ... this is going to be something VERY special.

In months (and years) past I had looked upon the notion of a Hobbit movie as something of an anti-climax. It seemed like a come down after the excitement and emotional whallop of the LOTR trilogy. After such an enormous and powerful story, The Hobbit seemed small and simple ... and far less emotionally immediate ... by comparrison. Making that movie now, it seemed to me, would be more of a nostalgia piece than a new and unique experience. After all, I'd always looked at that book as a lesser story when compared side by side to what Tolkien wrote later. A terrific story, but a warm-up before the masterpiece.

But I'm happy to report that I seem to have been wrong about that.

I have to admit, too, that when talk of the "Bridge" movie first bubbled up, I was a little cynical. The first thought in my head was: "It's a money grab. The studios have run out of books and now they're trying to figure out how to keep the cash registers ringing for another year." But after reading a bit of the speculation here on the boards about what material would be included in that film, I began to get hopeful. And now, after hearing further hints from GDT himself ... I have to say, I may actually be more excited about that Bridge Movie than I am about The Hobbit.

I'm quite ready for another adventure. I've slipped on my finest traveling hood and slung my axe over my shoulder.

And I'm ready to head off to the Lonely Mountain ... and beyond!

"In Hollywood the screenplay is a fire hydrant. And there's a line of dogs around the block." -- Frank Miller

merklynn
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 3:03pm

Post #10 of 128 (18446 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts and hopes [In reply to] Can't Post

Instead of the bridge film... the Link Film? LOL same thing. "The Hobbit Strikes Back".... "The White Council"... "Middle Earth"....

I just hope that the same actors who played Elrond, Galadriel, and Saruman will also be back. Ie Hugo Weaving, Cate Blanchett, and Christopher Lee. I love those guys.

And I'm looking forward to the dwarves, and hopefully a glimpse through flashback or whatever of their kingdoms... so we can see the contrast between Moria, as well as the Lonely Mountain, and what an actual lived-in Dwarf kingdom looks like.

*drool*

As for the second film... lots of White Council stuff vs Sauron would be nice. I'm fine with trusting PJ and GDT to tell an entertaining story with the characters to fill a void. It's just a film, and it will never change the fact that it is not true canon. So I say, let them tell a story with characters whose movie interpretations I enjoyed.

Exciting!!!!

Elven
Valinor

Apr 25 2008, 3:07pm

Post #11 of 128 (18207 views)
Shortcut
Never sweeter words did I hear ... [In reply to] Can't Post

than this ...( the bold is my emphasis)

It will not feel like a bridge, I’ve been hearing it called ‘a bridge film’, it’s not, it’s an integral chapter of the story, and I think we’re all on the same page.

The man has just risen to glory status in my books! Angelic Thankyou! Its not a Bridge film. My pet hate has now gone - Happy days.

I can't wait to hear of advancements they have with the technology between now and the time the filming happens. This film will be beautifully made - Im looking forward to seeing what Smaug - the Wolves/Wargs - the Spiders!!

... and also seeing what the interpretation of 'Golden' means - Im not taking it literally - I cant see everything in sepia tone Wink, but Im thinking rich and prosperous, untouched, unmarred and bright and crisp - pure.

Its nice to see the family coming back together .. I cant imagine how cool some of the reunion photos are going to be!

Thankyou Xoanon for a fantastic interview for us!!
and to all the Torn mods who I noticed have been on board today!
and thankyou Guillermo!
Smile

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

merklynn
Lorien

Apr 25 2008, 3:11pm

Post #12 of 128 (18157 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I didn't jump with excitement when GDT's name was first mentioned back in November, or December last year, but it was definitely my preference over Sam Raimi, which I think would have demanded a greater leap of faith from fans. The months since I've slowly warmed to the idea of del Toro, and what has really really helped is finally starting to hear more solid news rather than just our speculation and a long period of nothing substatial being reported. I agree, the more del Toro talks the more I am excited, because the more I feel he truly cares about the world of Middle Earth. I think his riddle was the icing on the cake for me in proving he LOVES the Hobbit. I also think it is reasuring that GDT and PJ have worked together before developing Halo and have a respect for each other, and that PJ is still involved.

Basically, I feel GDT is good guy, and I'm pleased to hear there will be an effort to let the old and new movies all feel as one.

Yay!!! Two things really lifted my work day yesterday... this news, and also hearing from Tom Defalco ex Marvel comics editor in chief. Now the only downer for my weekend will be working in the yard and rainy weather. D'oh!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2008, 3:23pm

Post #13 of 128 (19893 views)
Shortcut
Who knows... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they might allow you to see it while it's being "replanted"!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2008, 3:33pm

Post #14 of 128 (18397 views)
Shortcut
This day just keeps getting better. [In reply to] Can't Post

And this interview just reaffirms my belief that GDT could not be a more worthy addition to this production!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2008, 3:34pm

Post #15 of 128 (18241 views)
Shortcut
So great! [In reply to] Can't Post

And we can comment SO much about this interview. I'll start by saying that the following paragraph was actually quite moving to me:

You’ll be using WETA Digital for the effects?
GDT: Yes, the essential elements for keeping continuity are on track, in the last few weeks I’ve been chatting with a ton of people via email, phone, and in person from the previous films. People like Andy Serkis, Sir Ian McKellen, Howard Shore, John Howe, Gino Acevedo, Richard Taylor next week I’m meeting Alan Lee. I’m doing this to ensure that whatever we do we keep continuity with the other films, yes it’s a world that is slightly more golden at the beginning, a very innocent environment.

What I have repeatedly expressed as my biggest fear about a different director was destroyed here. Middle Earth will look and sound as the Middle Earth we know. If Shore, Lee and Howe are in, then they can do no wrong.

As several of you have said, talk about the second film is quite reassuring. One thing strikes me as the most important in this department:

There will be certain things that we will see from the first movie but from a different point of view.

That means Gandalf point of view from the Quest.

About animatronics. Great decision. Lord of the Rings didn't suffer as much as the Star Wars prequels from CGI creatures, but I agree with what someone said: physical is physical after all, there's still a long way for every CGI shot to look completely "in-shot". I am concerned though as to what they will do with Smaug. A huge dragon animatronic can go wrong in so many ways. However, I trust WETA, and I'm not going to start a whole doubting campaign against a hypothetical possibility. I'll keave just as a comment.

The palette. I knew that was happening. Del Toro shoots really bright colors and so many contrasts. His color brightness (within reality, not Kill Bill like) is probably second only to Yimou Zhang's (Hero, House of the Flying Daggers). And actually, I believe this will work. The Shire, is really in another epoch, and the ambience will actually benefit from a brighter lens. The Halls Under the Mountain should look particularly impressive with Del Toro's love for dark locations, as well.

From what I've gathered, I believe that palette will also evolve, and by the time we reach the end of Movie 2, we should be in Jackson's palette. Think of it, that will be so interesting... using colour as a means of showing progress in the story, and movement towards darker times.

Having said that, I'm very happy Del Toro thinks The Hobbit is a "self-contained movie". A 3 1/2 hour long Hobbit should do wonders for the story.

Someone also mentioned in this thread (I'm sorry I'm not naming anyone, but I'm just working with all the pieces of info I remember) about the two-movie Hobbit as opposed to Hobbit + sprequel. (yes, I'm inventing the term, this one is the rare movie that's both prequel and sequel). The note you saw is probably confused. New Line still has the rights to both The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, and production can use anything they want from both stories and the Appendices, but not, as you mention, material such as The Quest for Erebor. Actually, from what we know, the second movie is legally mentioned as "Lord of the Rings prequel", thus being attached to the LotR rights, rather than The Hobbit ones.

I have rambled on a lot, so I'll just close it now. I'm really thrilled about all that's been said, and for me the one thing that would put the cherry on top of the sundae of this great week would be Christopher Lee's confirmation for movie 2, and the production's firm purpose of making him a shooting priority.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Unspoken_Request
Bree

Apr 25 2008, 3:39pm

Post #16 of 128 (18290 views)
Shortcut
The White Council [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course it depends on what they actually include into the second movie, but considering what GDT said, it seems this title would be appropriate.

It's interesting in a way, because what we would learn in the second movie, could potentially give a new whole meaning to the Hobbit for non-readers. It could be a good surprise for them. Imagine this, a few small reference throughout the first movie concerning this mysterious necromancer in the south of Mirkwood. People will like the story, but I'm sure more than a few will feel the connection to the narrative of LOTR is rather small (No Sauron, the ring is not at stake).
Second movie comes and the grand scheme behind it all is revealed as we watch Gandalf in Dol Guldur...

deej
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2008, 3:46pm

Post #17 of 128 (19400 views)
Shortcut
Good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

They probably won't be filming yet, but if they are in the process of 'Hobbitifying' (?) the set we may not get to see it.

fingolfin_nc
Bree

Apr 25 2008, 3:47pm

Post #18 of 128 (18232 views)
Shortcut
Filming content, extra's, 2nd film ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Long time lurker, first time poster ...

One of the questions that I am dying to have answered, is how the releases will be dealt with. One of the things I loved about how Peter did LOTR was he filmed so much it allowed for reams of additional scenes to be added to the Extended Edition DVD releases. Does the Jackson / GDT team intend to continue this with these two films ...? December releases would also be cool to have continuity.

Also, am I the only one that is really excited to see the second film visualized as I have spent years thinking / imagining the novels (The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The LOTR) however I've not spent nearly that amount of time imaging the events that took place that will be brought to life in the second film. And while there is ample material to research, it will also be like reading a new book about Middle Earth ... yes?

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Apr 25 2008, 3:51pm

Post #19 of 128 (18168 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

You points are important ones. I am confident they'll go with December releases, and that they'll do Extended Editions in the exact same fashion as the LotR. Thos emovies made so much money, they'll be following the recipe very closely for these two new movies.

About the second movie being like a new book, it has been suggested by Darkstone, I believe (sorry of I got this wrong) that there could actually be a novelization of that movie. A new literary adeventure in the Thrid Age. We shall see.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Mishka
The Shire

Apr 25 2008, 4:01pm

Post #20 of 128 (18330 views)
Shortcut
Oh, here we go again!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I was beside myself this morning when I read the news and it was good I was at home then - hahaha - if not I too would have a ruined reputation (ah, who cares). I was just frustrated not to be able to call my friends who live in Canada because of the time difference (I am a Cannuk in UK since almost 2 years).

This is all so exciting!!! I love all this suspense and guessing before a movie and we have a couple of years of that to come! I was quite sad when the LOTR trilogy was over and there was just a faint hope for the Hobbit - and then with the lawsuit, it was ruined...But now we are back on the track and I find it absolutely thrilling that Guillemero keeps us posted here, personally. It is grand of him to do that.

The second movie is a mystery so far, but frankly, there is so much Middle Earth topic and material out there, that they shouldn't have any problems creating it. Hmmm, I wonder if that means that more of the LOTR characters will be back in it. Hmmm, I wonder if John Rhys Davies would endure more of the prosthetics he sweared never to put on again??? And I really hope that one day they might make the story of Luthien and Beren into a movie. It has loads of potential! But there I go too far for now I think!

I am looking forward to enjoy every minute of this!!!

jimdorey
The Shire

Apr 25 2008, 4:02pm

Post #21 of 128 (18804 views)
Shortcut
Huffington Post WRONG: They say that the two movies will BOTH be based on the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

Read the last statement:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/25/the-hobbit-gets-a-directo_n_98551.html

Which is obviously wrong. "The Hobbit" does not cover all of that time and Guillermo even says: "...it’s an integral part of telling the story of those 50 years of history lost in the narrative"

I sent an email to them asking for them to correct it. Unfortunately it was too late for my blog MarketSaw - I actually thought there was hope for a third movie for awhile based solely on the normally reputable Huffington Post! Grrrr.

(This post was edited by jimdorey on Apr 25 2008, 4:04pm)

SirGandalf
The Shire

Apr 25 2008, 4:05pm

Post #22 of 128 (18449 views)
Shortcut
This is MAGICAL! [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems the light of the Vala has shone upon us. I think we all agree that the upcoming films could not possibly bode better!! A wonderful, dedicated and extremely talented director you are, dearly beloved Mr. Del Toro, and we are most honoured to have you in our midst! Laugh

And with the return of Jackon&Welsh&Boyens, Sir Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Howard Shore and Richard Taylor, the set-up seems to be perfect!

I say: LET'S ROLL!!! Wink

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Apr 25 2008, 4:14pm

Post #23 of 128 (19983 views)
Shortcut
That would be best of all. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind staying on the grass and away from the plantings and construction if it means seeing a glimpse of the location turning back into Hobbiton!

burrahobbit
Rohan

Apr 25 2008, 4:18pm

Post #24 of 128 (18215 views)
Shortcut
"from a different point of view" [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah- a very interesting statement. He's got to be talking about Gandalf's point of view.

He might be referring to discovering Thrain in the dungeons of Dol Guldur, or alternatively he could mean the whole attack on Dol Guldur and viewing the Quest for Erebor from Gandalf's point of view. It's maybe a bit much to conclude that Gandalf will definitely be the protagonist in the sequel film, but looks like he's going to feature lots.

View my Hobbit Film Adaptation Discussion

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 25 2008, 4:19pm

Post #25 of 128 (18276 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm Im a little worried [In reply to] Can't Post

he says the trilogy is canon - so does this mean we get mutant hyenas instead of wargs againMadMadMadMad

As for the rest of the interview - sounds encouraging

I May be a scientist but I'm also a Ninja fencer!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.