The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Richard Armitage was in a Marvel movie!

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Oct 9 2016, 3:57am

Post #1 of 20 (1720 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage was in a Marvel movie! Can't Post

I just found out he appeared in Captain America: The First Avenger, or Captain America 1. Since it's been about 5 years I that I don't watch this movie, and it's on Netflix (in my country at leas), I thought I should watch it again just to see where he shows up, just because I am a fan of The Hobbit Trilogy.

Did you know that RA appeared in CA1?

LittleHobbit
Lorien

Oct 9 2016, 5:04am

Post #2 of 20 (1659 views)
Shortcut
*least [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, I should have said ''as I am a fan of The Hobbit Trilogy'', and not ''just because I am a fan [..].

MyWeeLadGimli
Lorien

Oct 9 2016, 5:15am

Post #3 of 20 (1650 views)
Shortcut
I knew [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I would have recognized him if I hadn't known it was him already though. And sadly his role is quite small.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Oct 9 2016, 11:33am

Post #4 of 20 (1626 views)
Shortcut
And Elrond, too [In reply to] Can't Post

Hugo Weaving is also in the first Captain America movie. Small world! Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

Annael
Immortal

Oct 9 2016, 2:20pm

Post #5 of 20 (1602 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

and pulls off both an American & a German accent in a brief time.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 9 2016, 4:00pm

Post #6 of 20 (1585 views)
Shortcut
His small role was good in it! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I love how a lot of Tolkien stars have become involved in the Marvel films, even if brief!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 9 2016, 5:26pm

Post #7 of 20 (1571 views)
Shortcut
Dr. Strange! [In reply to] Can't Post

BC coming up in November - hoping this is awesomeShocked! Tho I personally feel RA could have done this part, as well - hard to say w. that Dr. Strange hair, but RA has the acting ability, voice, height for the costume, etc.

And IMO Martin Freeman is excellent in Civil WarCool - IMO he's nailing the "American accent" (me being a US-er) - e.g, I wouldn't have known he was British. Tho I guess he's had plenty of practice in other U.S. roles - and he is a tough guy in CW. Good choice IMO for the part.Heart

I wish RA would be cast in the upcoming Marvel stuff.Frown EL is not a favorite of mine but she's showing up too in the next Ant Man as the Wasp. Tho I think Scarlett Johansson is pretty well entrenched as Marvel fan favorite female Black Widow - hard to say, of course, until ALL of the films come out. Which will take a while.Shocked

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 9 2016, 5:55pm

Post #8 of 20 (1559 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes! The movies will keep coming out over the years! [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister is a huge Benedict fan, so she is on top of watching all of the Dr. Strange advertisements! I think it will be a good Marvel film, and am looking forward to him acting alongside the Avengers!

Martin was great in Civil War, enjoyed his spark as the one of the government's agents, especially his ending scene with Zemo!
Richard may eventually come back to Marvel, or something like that. I would love to see him in more movies! Love him so much as Sir Guy of Gisborne in BBC Robin Hood. One of the only times where you want the bad guy to be with the love interest!Wink
I enjoyed EL in Ant Man, but I do like her in the Hobbit films and as Kate Austen from Lost. I will be curious to see how she gets more involved in the movies, as now Black Widow is pretty much the Marvel actress!

Other Tolkien stars in Marvel have been Liv Tyler as Betty Ross in the Incredible Hulk, which I liked her in. And if you want to include the X-men, Ian Mckellen is awesome as Magneto and Dom Monaghan plays a minor mutant in X-Men Origins. (Short, but suiting role for Dom!Wink) Also heard that Cate Blanchett and Karl Urban are going to be in Thor: Ragnorock!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Avandel
Half-elven

Oct 10 2016, 4:25pm

Post #9 of 20 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Cool! (: [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I am fascinated to see what they'll do with Dr. Strange! Shocked

And loved RA in Robin Hood as well - seems like Richard's work is always stellar,Heart so I hope I can check out "Berlin Station" - he had said way back he'd like to play a spy, so guess he got his wish.Smile

Re the Marvel slate - well, LOL it's not Middle Earth. But for me between Star Wars and the Marvel films IMO there's at least some movies I think I'll pay theater prices to see (Dr. Strange is among those). Some years re film releases for me it's been pretty thin, seems like.Unsure

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 10 2016, 7:59pm

Post #10 of 20 (1481 views)
Shortcut
The Marvel films are worth seeing in theater [In reply to] Can't Post

more so than other films, even though there has been a few I have gone to see and will see(I am anxiously looking forward to Pirates of the Caribbean 5 as I am a huge Pirates Fan!) But the Marvel films are promising that they will be around for a while and are always enjoyable!

I think Dr. Strange will be a good movie, and it is always nice to have new heroes joining the Avengers in the future!

I agree, Richard owns every role he is in! He was good in the miniseries North and South as well! and haven't seen him in Into The Storm( I believe that is what it is called) yet, but he looks like he could be good in it.(Who am I kidding? He is good in everything!Laugh)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 10 2016, 10:04pm

Post #11 of 20 (1470 views)
Shortcut
Did you know, there's a Dwarf amongst the Pirates? [In reply to] Can't Post

Adam Brown, our very own Ori, has a role in the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean movie! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 10 2016, 10:37pm

Post #12 of 20 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am very excited for that! Also, I hear that Faramir is also playing a role in this new Pirates movie. Him, along with Adam Brown and Orlando Bloom make three Tolkien actors in one Pirates movie!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 18 2016, 5:51pm

Post #13 of 20 (1298 views)
Shortcut
I had to see it twice [In reply to] Can't Post

before I realized it was Martin Freeman....

yep, nailed the accent

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 18 2016, 5:53pm

Post #14 of 20 (1301 views)
Shortcut
gotta love [In reply to] Can't Post

Cate Blanchett...

and Karl Urban just seems to nail everything he's in perfectly.

He was in Pete's Dragon and was a terrific "villain"... the brother who is at odds with the heroes but eventually comes around to his senses. He was just terrific.

bigger on the inside...

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Member of Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 18 2016, 5:54pm

Post #15 of 20 (1296 views)
Shortcut
OMG [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't even know there WAS another Pirates film until recently...

that'll be fun

bigger on the inside...

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 18 2016, 7:08pm

Post #16 of 20 (1293 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen Pete's Dragon yet, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I probably will when it comes out to DVD!

I really like Karl Urban in the new Star Trek films!

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 18 2016, 7:09pm

Post #17 of 20 (1291 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Pirates of the Caribbean!

Dwarewien
Rohan

Oct 18 2016, 10:08pm

Post #18 of 20 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen Ghost Ship? [In reply to] Can't Post

though I prefer Sean Bean in The Island (which I now own on Blu-ray), but I did manage to catch Ghost Ship on television a few times (the last being right after The Island on the Chigaco Superstation, which is on channel 61 in my neck of the woods). Not to spoil anything, but Urban's character has quite a gruesome death, so Ghost Ship isn't for the faint hearted. The Island is the first time I've seen Sean Bean play a villain, and like his LotR character, he doesn't survive (like many of Richard Armitage's characters, other than North & South, which I found kind of dull, since I prefer action movies, and Into the Storm, which I enjoyed, being a fan of disaster movies in the first place). Smile

"The Lord of the Rings is one of those things. If you like it, you do. If you don't, then you boo." - J.R.R. Tolkien

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2016, 1:45pm

Post #19 of 20 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Pete's Dragon [In reply to] Can't Post

...was one of those worthy remakes that needed to be done.

Robert Redford anchors it, giving it a reality and believeability that it would otherwise have missed.

The kids and other actors are fine. The dragon is a great design... designing a dragon is problematic because you want it to look like a dragon, but not like everyone else's dragon.

The overall story is full of a sense of wonder and is the exact sort of film I would have loved as a kid.

It holds up well for adults too. It's a bit understated and quiet compared to much of the Bigger Louder More Blowuppier stuff seen in most modern films.

bigger on the inside...

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 19 2016, 1:55pm

Post #20 of 20 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like it will be good! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed the remake of the Jungle Book, so I think this one will be good as well! I like the original a lot, so I am wondering how this one will be like compared to the classic!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.