The LOTR trilogy score
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 7 2016, 4:51pm

Post #1 of 46 (2832 views)
Shortcut
The LOTR trilogy score Can't Post

Maybe someone's posted this before, but what track in the LOTR trilogy is your favourite? I absolutely love the whole score, by the way Smile

Some of my highlights are the Lighting of the Beacons, The Breaking of the Fellowship, A Journey in the Dark, Glamdring, Forth Eorlingas, The Three Hunters and The Last March of the Ents. What are everyone else's favourites?

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Oct 7 2016, 5:05pm

Post #2 of 46 (2761 views)
Shortcut
Concerning Hobbits, The Bridge of Caradhras, and Amon Hen. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always follow my job through.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 7 2016, 5:11pm

Post #3 of 46 (2751 views)
Shortcut
My all-time favorite is probably Lighting of the Beacons. Shivers every time. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 7 2016, 5:19pm

Post #4 of 46 (2748 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear, and the scene that accompanies it is also superb // [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 8 2016, 12:12am

Post #5 of 46 (2738 views)
Shortcut
A new favorite... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been listening to Bilbo's Song, a track included on the ROTK Extended Edition (the very end of the fan credits). Incredibly calming, melancholic, but also beautiful and gravitated upon hope. I hadn't listened to it much until quite recently.

I'll echo many of yours, as well! And I cry whenever the music of the Ride of the Rohirrim is played, as well as Into the West.

...and a couple of other places, . Tongue

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 8 2016, 12:12am)

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 8 2016, 11:56am

Post #6 of 46 (2684 views)
Shortcut
As far as ending credits go... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like "May it be"

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 8 2016, 12:14pm

Post #7 of 46 (2692 views)
Shortcut
Oh, those are some good ones [In reply to] Can't Post

The beacons bit evokes Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries for me. Forth Eorlingas and Ride of the Rohirrim leave my eyes moist, even now.

I'm not sure of the title, but the precious few moments when the company wanders into the great hall in Moria ("there's an eye opener...") is probably my favourite part of the score.

The End of All Things, which I love as well, is like a miniature concerto in it's own right.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 8 2016, 12:17pm)

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 8 2016, 12:38pm

Post #8 of 46 (2683 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I love The Ride of the Valkyries as well, although I've never actually thought to compare the Lighting of the Beacons to it.

The "eye opener" moment is called A Journey in the Dark in the official soundtrack, and "Moria" in the Complete Recordings.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Oct 8 2016, 1:22pm

Post #9 of 46 (2673 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The "eye opener" moment is called A Journey in the Dark in the official soundtrack, and "Moria" in the Complete Recordings.

The "eye opener" moment is actually "Balin's Tomb" on the Complete Recordings.

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 8 2016, 3:20pm

Post #10 of 46 (2652 views)
Shortcut
Ah [In reply to] Can't Post

My apologies, you're right Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 8 2016, 3:34pm

Post #11 of 46 (2651 views)
Shortcut
Although completely different [In reply to] Can't Post

Valkyries and Beacons are structurally similar, with determined rising tension giving way to glorious triumphalism.

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 8 2016, 3:40pm

Post #12 of 46 (2651 views)
Shortcut
And both [In reply to] Can't Post

are so powerful in their triumphancy. I wonder if Shore was inspired by Wagner at all?

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 9 2016, 5:53pm

Post #13 of 46 (2581 views)
Shortcut
I believe he said so [In reply to] Can't Post

IIRC, in one of the EEs, Shore said something to the effect that Wagner's Ring Cycle was an inspiration when composing the LOTR score. It makes sense of course, given the claim that Tolkien's Rings was influenced by Wagner's (a claim denied by Tolkien apparently; rather both were inspired by the same source materials (nod to Wikipedia)).

I did notice a surge of interest in Wagner's Rings around the height of popularity of Jackson's Rings...

Which reminds me, I'm not sure I like my word choice in my previous post -- "glorious triumphalism" is all wrong (and not a bit confusing). I meant to say "triumphant glory," I think. The truth is that the beacons resolves to something indescribably moving.

After countless viewings, the score remains one the most enduring parts of the work.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 9 2016, 5:59pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 9 2016, 7:55pm

Post #14 of 46 (2563 views)
Shortcut
Re: Wagner [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I'm imagining this, but didn't Shore or Doug Adams at some point say that the ending of the track 'Days of the Ring' was Shore's not-so-subtle way of paying tribute to Wagner's influence?

For some reason, I'm seeing Shore saying this in one of the talking head video interviews: possibly from the same ROTK EE appendices you're referring to!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 9 2016, 9:54pm

Post #15 of 46 (2553 views)
Shortcut
Just listened to it there now [In reply to] Can't Post

And the last few seconds remind me of Wagner

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 9 2016, 10:41pm

Post #16 of 46 (2550 views)
Shortcut
The Evenstar, Flight to the Ford, The Bridge of Khazad-dum, The Houses of Healing, [In reply to] Can't Post

Exodus from Edoras, Helm's Deep, The Mirror of Galadriel. These are only a few off the top of my head!

P.S. Love your new avatar! Pippin is my favorite hobbit!Smile

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Oct 10 2016, 6:12pm

Post #17 of 46 (2509 views)
Shortcut
Loaded Question! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Exodus from Edoras, Helm's Deep, The Mirror of Galadriel. These are only a few off the top of my head!

Excellent choices, and off the top of my head, I can think of many but have a hard time narrowing it down, but will attempt to do so and post them. To help, I'll do a few categories.

FAVORITES FROM FIRST TIME LIVE VIEWING:
Flight to the Ford/Give Up the Halfling
Parth Galen (from when Frodo and Aragorn part, and the fighting begins)
Khazad-Dum
The Last March of the Ents
Theoden Rides Forth
The Battle of Pelennor Fields (unreleased until the complete recordings)
Lighting of the Beacons

MOST DESIRED FROM FILM BUT NOT ON OST (thank you, complete recordings):
The Battle of Pelennor Fields
For Frodo
Complete version of Lighting of the Beacons

FAVORITE LEITMOTIF:
Nature's Reclamation (hence my love for Battle of the Pelennor Fields)

FAVORITE SHORT PASSAGE:
The section from The Fellowship Reunited when Aragorn says to the Hobbits, "you bow to no one," and the Fellowship theme swells in full symphonic glory.

I could go on. I love this music and am so glad I got the complete recordings when they were still available. I listen to them regularly. Truly, this is one of the great soundtracks of all time.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 10 2016, 7:53pm

Post #18 of 46 (2498 views)
Shortcut
Neat choices of songs! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not own the Complete Recordings, but I have bought a few of ROTK's complete recording music off iTunes, and have listened to FOTR and ROTK via library and TTT off of Youtube. The music is wonderful and everytime I listen to it, it brings me into Middle-earth!

This is a question out for anyone, but on the song The Last Debate, you have the solo called "Asea Aranion" what part of the film is this music suppose to cover? It's beautiful though, and glad it is included in the soundtrack!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 10 2016, 8:13pm

Post #19 of 46 (2494 views)
Shortcut
I love [In reply to] Can't Post

The Houses of Healing too! Thank you Laugh I'm going to watch ROTK and find out about that solo for you Smile

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 10 2016, 9:02pm

Post #20 of 46 (2486 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 10 2016, 10:28pm

Post #21 of 46 (2475 views)
Shortcut
As I'm re-watching Fellowship now.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..at least, not right now, 'cos I'm on the computer, but now-ish. I thought I'd slip in to add one that I don't think anyone has mentioned and that's 'In Dreams'. It stands out for me because at the end of my very first cinema viewing, which I had gone along to with great misgivings, expecting disappointment, 'In Dreams' was echoing in my mind as I emerged from the cinema. I could still hear it when I realised how special the film had been and I associate it with that realisation.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 10 2016, 10:41pm

Post #22 of 46 (2463 views)
Shortcut
Asea Aranion [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched half of ROTK, and around the Last Debate heard zero singing. So I dug a bit deeper and discovered Asea Aranion didn't actually make it to the final cut of the movie. Apparently "Asea Aranion" is the Quenyan word for Athelas, so it would seem it was to be used in somewhere in the Houses of Healing, but got taken out. But a LOTR rewatch is never wasted Wink

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 10 2016, 10:48pm

Post #23 of 46 (2460 views)
Shortcut
Ok [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks though! I never knew it was Quenya for Athelas! That is really cool! Glad you enjoyed rewatching ROTK, I agree, it is never wasted! I get happy everytime I can watch one!Laugh

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 10 2016, 10:52pm

Post #24 of 46 (2459 views)
Shortcut
Here's what [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien Gateway says about asea aranion:

asëa aranion is the Quenya name of Kingsfoil. While the only direct translation by Tolkien of asëa aranion which has been published is "asëa of the Kings", it has been suggested that the whole name could mean "Beneficial (leaf) of Kings".

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 10 2016, 10:54pm

Post #25 of 46 (2457 views)
Shortcut
I like In Dreams too [In reply to] Can't Post

I think FOTR probably has the best end credits songs - May it be (which I think is amazing) and In Dreams

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.