Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
The LOTR trilogy score
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 10 2016, 10:56pm

Post #26 of 46 (1647 views)
Shortcut
I could easily list 20 tracks that I find stunning :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 11 2016, 12:24pm

Post #27 of 46 (1629 views)
Shortcut
That is cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love TolkienGateway, it pretty much has anything you ever need for knowing Tolkien!

Thanks for the definition! It makes sense since Aragorn used these to heal his friends since he is the King of Gondor!

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 11 2016, 4:59pm

Post #28 of 46 (1616 views)
Shortcut
And [In reply to] Can't Post

If the very word for Athelas in Quenya is tied to "King" maybe the word was the root of Ioreth's proverb

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 11 2016, 5:31pm

Post #29 of 46 (1611 views)
Shortcut
Exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

jlj93byu
Bree

Oct 11 2016, 5:43pm

Post #30 of 46 (1611 views)
Shortcut
A Beautiful & Moving Ending [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
..at least, not right now, 'cos I'm on the computer, but now-ish. I thought I'd slip in to add one that I don't think anyone has mentioned and that's 'In Dreams'. It stands out for me because at the end of my very first cinema viewing, which I had gone along to with great misgivings, expecting disappointment, 'In Dreams' was echoing in my mind as I emerged from the cinema. I could still hear it when I realised how special the film had been and I associate it with that realisation.

I agree. The music as Sam and Frodo are gazing towards Mordor, and then as it builds towards the boy solo. It is one of the most beautiful endings in so many ways, but it wouldn't be half of what it is without that music.

On a personal note, I had been living in Korea for a couple years (2000-2002) and was gone for all of the movie hype. I must confess, before the movies, I knew virtually nothing about Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. I came home and had heard nothing in Korea about the movies, and I hadn't even seen a movie in two years, so my family said they were going to take me to this amazing, awesome movie called Lord of the Rings. I didn't know a thing about it, but as I sat in the theater it was one of the most magical experiences I've ever had at a movie. I was beyond moved, and the music was a large part of that, especially at the end of the film. I stayed through the credits and listened to "In Dreams" because it was so beautiful. I remember thinking to myself, "Was this movie seriously as good as I feel it was? Because I've never had an experience like this before." And now here I am--a true Tolkien nerd and die hard fan!

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 11 2016, 8:00pm

Post #31 of 46 (1602 views)
Shortcut
Moving [In reply to] Can't Post

First time I watched it, it moved me so much I could hardly sleep. Up until then I had only read the Hobbit, and didn't realise LOTR was anything to do with TH. I watched FOTR, and realised it was written by the same author and thus I read it. But FOTR moved me hugely.

Gianna
Rohan

Oct 14 2016, 12:07am

Post #32 of 46 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Lighting of the Beacons and Aniron // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The men of the East may search the scrolls,
For sure fates and fame,
But the men that drink the blood of God
Go singing to their shame."

-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse, Book I

------
My fantasy novels

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 14 2016, 8:07pm

Post #33 of 46 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Love both, [In reply to] Can't Post

but Aniron is just so beautiful. My sister had been given a CD of Enya , and it had a longer version of Aniron. It's really beautiful.

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 22 2016, 10:14pm

Post #34 of 46 (1501 views)
Shortcut
It´s impossible to pick just one [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole score is just so perfect. I listened to it a few days ago after not doing so for quite a while. It took just fa few notes and I was back in Middle Earth.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

May you have the hindsight to know
where you've been,
the foresight to know where you're going to and
the insight to know when you're going too far.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 22 2016, 11:14pm

Post #35 of 46 (1500 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

Its all so beautiful!

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 22 2016, 11:25pm

Post #36 of 46 (1499 views)
Shortcut
I can barely go a day without listening to it [In reply to] Can't Post

I have it (of sometimes The Hobbit soundtrack) playing in the background a lot of the time Laugh

Calenleya
Bree

Oct 22 2016, 11:45pm

Post #37 of 46 (1495 views)
Shortcut
Once [In reply to] Can't Post

I started again I can´t seem to stop Smile

May you have the hindsight to know
where you've been,
the foresight to know where you're going to and
the insight to know when you're going too far.

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 23 2016, 12:45pm

Post #38 of 46 (1488 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's glorious! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 23 2016, 12:50pm

Post #39 of 46 (1487 views)
Shortcut
When I listen to the Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

music, it makes me get in the mood to watch the movies!Laugh (which must of happened because I watched both the Fellowship of the Ring and the Desolation of Smaug this weekend!)

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 23 2016, 1:21pm

Post #40 of 46 (1480 views)
Shortcut
I sat down one evening [In reply to] Can't Post

And started to listen to the score. I hadn't reached Concerning Hobbits before I was unable to resist watching FOTR Smile

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 23 2016, 6:18pm

Post #41 of 46 (1467 views)
Shortcut
I know that feeling. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even when I start talking about the films, I want to watch one or at least some scenes of them! They are such wonderful films! and books!

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 27 2016, 5:10pm

Post #42 of 46 (1400 views)
Shortcut
I find the movie and its score compliments the book marvellously :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 27 2016, 9:39pm

Post #43 of 46 (1386 views)
Shortcut
I agree 100%!! [In reply to] Can't Post

jlj93byu
Bree

Oct 28 2016, 4:55pm

Post #44 of 46 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Not Just a Film Score [In reply to] Can't Post

I also agree. The score doesn't just compliment the film, or even the film and the book, but I've felt it really is as close as a score has come to actually representing the mythical world, races, and events that it is connected to. This truly is the music of Middle Earth. Not just the films, not even just the book, but of the legendarium itself. The fact that it works so well in the films is a testament to me that the films, also, harmonize very well with the world of Middle Earth. They all work so well together, supporting one another, that they each can stand alone as epic and grand, yet also don't feel fully complete without the other.

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 28 2016, 6:45pm

Post #45 of 46 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Well Said!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 29 2016, 10:21am

Post #46 of 46 (1349 views)
Shortcut
This is really what Tolkien meant [In reply to] Can't Post

When he said

"The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama."

(emphasis mine)
This was Tolkien's goal when he created Middle-earth. And I think it has been achieved.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.