Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Love the LOTR movies, but not the books. Am I still a fan?

helenedwards

Oct 6 2016, 4:05am

Post #1 of 11 (1398 views)
Shortcut
Love the LOTR movies, but not the books. Am I still a fan? Can't Post

I consider myself a big fan of LOTR. I've seen the movies (extended editions) about 20 times and love talking to others about the themes, character arcs, and metaphors of LOTR. The thing is, I haven't been able to get through the books - I only read a third of the Fellowship and stopped because I just couldn't into it. I got into an argument the other day with someone who told me I couldn't consider myself a fan without having read the books. What are people's thoughts on this?

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Oct 6 2016, 6:00am)

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 6 2016, 5:05am

Post #2 of 11 (1346 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

You can sit in the corner with me.
And welcome to TORn.
Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 6 2016, 8:20am

Post #3 of 11 (1333 views)
Shortcut
I think you're a fan of the story as told on film.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...nothing wrong with that - and welcome to TORn!

You'll find all shades of opinion here. Books but not films, films but not books, one film trilogy rather than the other... I'm just weird - I love them all! Tongue

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

(This post was edited by dormouse on Oct 6 2016, 8:22am)

Gianna
Rohan

Oct 6 2016, 12:29pm

Post #4 of 11 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Even as a big reader... [In reply to] Can't Post

...there are some books I haven't been able to get into, and I definitely understand having trouble with LOTR. The books are pretty dense and Book I of FOTR in particular is very slow.

I don't like how some people try to classify who's a fan and who's not; that all seems ridiculously judgmental to me. Unsure You love the story of the films, which is by and large the same story Tolkien told... so of course you're a fan.

That said, the books are even richer than the films, and if you try again and are able to get into them, it is a wonderful experience.

Welcome to TORn, by the way!

"The men of the East may search the scrolls,
For sure fates and fame,
But the men that drink the blood of God
Go singing to their shame."

-G.K. Chesterton, The Ballad of the White Horse, Book I

------
My fantasy novels

OldestDaughter
Rohan

Oct 6 2016, 12:31pm

Post #5 of 11 (1301 views)
Shortcut
You are still a fan! [In reply to] Can't Post

It depends if you are in to the story as told by Tolkien, or PJ's version. There is nothing wrong with just loving the movies. My best friend can't get through the books, but enjoys the films. Same with my sister, who prefers the Hobbit films and book to the LOTR, but is still a fan of both!

I am into both, but that is just who I am.

Welcome to the forums!Smile

"Keen, heart-piercing was her song as the song of the lark that rises from the gates of night and pours its voice among the dying stars, seeing the sun behind the walls of the world; and the song of Lúthien released the bonds of winter, and the frozen waters spoke, and flowers sprang from the cold earth where her feet had passed."

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 6 2016, 1:23pm

Post #6 of 11 (1311 views)
Shortcut
NARF! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congratulations!! You are now hereby admitted to the Noble Band of Brothers (and Sisters) of NARF, the members of which all have been called Not A Real Fan (NARF) by A Real Fan (ARF):

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we narfy few, we band of brothers (and sisters);
For he (and she) that loves LOTR
Whether film or book, shall be my brother (or sister);
That act shall gentle his (or her) condition:
And gentlemen (and gentlewomen) now reading YA novels
Shall think themselves accursed they were not there,
With those who post on TORn!

Cherish your NARFhood, my brother (or sister)!

And welcome to TORn!!

NARF!!

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Oct 6 2016, 1:36pm)

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 6 2016, 3:35pm

Post #7 of 11 (1269 views)
Shortcut
Of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're still a fan! Smile I've heard of a few people struggling to get through FOTR book 1, and being deterred by that. Maybe if you wanted to give the books a go, you could skim-read Book 1, and after that it picks up and gets more exciting (although personally I enjoy Book 1). But it's perfectly ok to prefer one medium over another, and the LOTR movies stay pretty close to the books anyway! Welcome to the forums (although I'm still pretty new here myself )Wink

It was a foggy day in London, and the fog was heavy and dark. Animate London, with smarting eyes and irritated lungs, was blinking, wheezing, and choking; inanimate London was a sooty spectre, divided in purpose between being visible and invisible, and so being wholly neither. - Our Mutual Friend, Charles Dickens.

It is said by the Eldar that in water there lives yet the echo of the Music of the Ainur more than in any substance that is in this Earth; and many of the Children of Ilúvatar hearken still unsated to the voices of the Sea, and yet know not for what they listen. - The Silmarillion, J. R. R. Tolkien

weathertop
Rohan

Oct 7 2016, 3:26pm

Post #8 of 11 (1181 views)
Shortcut
if you can make it to Bree, things pick up. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard your same story quite a bit from others. And to be frank, the section in the Barrows and Bombadil can be quite slow. But once they make it to Bree, hook up with Strider, and get to Weathertop it really starts to pick up in intensity.

The same goes with the Sil. The first section took me I don't know how many different tries; it wasn't until I realized that it was the 'Genesis' story of ME that that first section made sense to me. After that it gets into 'normal' stories and storylines.

Enginerd

dreamflower
Lorien

Oct 10 2016, 5:59am

Post #9 of 11 (1083 views)
Shortcut
Of course you are a real fan [In reply to] Can't Post

You are a fan of the movie version. I'm a fan of both.

That said, I hope you don't entirely give up on the books, and give them another chance some day, if only because some things in the movies make more sense when you've read the books.

One of my friends who could never get through the books fell in love with Tolkien's version after listening to the unabridged audio version.

Some people call it fanfiction. I call it story-internal literary criticism.

jlj93byu
Bree

Oct 10 2016, 3:12pm

Post #10 of 11 (1066 views)
Shortcut
You love Middle Earth, its characters and stories, so YES [In reply to] Can't Post

You are a real fan! Like many here, I also had a hard time getting through the first part of Fellowship. I remember starting and finally it just fell off my radar for a year or so, but once I pushed on, I finished it and the next two books within a few months, and then "The Hobbit" a short time after. When "The Children of Hurin" came out, I bought it and finished it the same day it was released.

Since then, I have been sucked in--having now read "The Silmarillion," "The History of the Hobbit," a few volumes of "The History of Middle Earth," "The Frodo Franchise," "The Music of Middle Earth," and some other books about the franchise. So be warned--there is a threshold you can cross from which you will never return!

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 15 2016, 12:57am

Post #11 of 11 (1008 views)
Shortcut
what I'm curious about [In reply to] Can't Post

is your website, which looks like a spam site, so . . . I'll ask YOU: are you in fact a Tolkien fan?

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.