A beloved TORnsib has sailed West
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5 2016, 7:12pm

Post #1 of 90 (3400 views)
Shortcut
A beloved TORnsib has sailed West Can't Post

My dear fellow members of the TORn Message Boards, it is with profound sadness that I share with you the news that one of our long-time members, weaver, after a lengthy illness, has taken ship in the Havens and passed into the West.

Our beloved TORnsib passed away peacefully at home on Thursday evening, September 29, 2016 in the presence of her loving family. She was born in Parma, Ohio, educated at Heidelberg University, and graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in English. She married the love of her life in 1989 in Columbus Ohio. She moved with her family to New York in 1999 and continued her profession as a writer, establishing her own company and focusing on grants and fundraising for Not-For-Profits. Through her efforts, organizations succeeded in obtaining grant funding, constructing and expanding facilities, and in running successful fundraising, capital and endowment campaigns. In addition to these campaigns, she was very successful in raising significant funding for dozens of organizations, businesses and municipalities.

A lifelong lover of music, she was a strong proponent of the value of music in our schools. She helped found the Massena Music Friends organization, supporting the purchase of instruments and programs that are beyond the capacity of the local school. She excelled at taking an idea and making it a reality, and supported many other groups for the betterment of the community.

She is survived by her husband and her three sons, along with a number of nieces and nephews.

Her beloved husband understood and appreciated her love of all things Tolkien, and had a beautifully appropriate prayer card made for her:

Weaver was a gifted writer, contributing her thoughts and insights as often as she could to these Boards, from erudite Reading Room conversations to threads that are simply fun.

She had even contributed four articles to the "J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia" of 2006: "Film Scripts, Unused"; "Juliana"; "Pearl: Edition by E.V. Gordon"; and "Suffield Family".

And several of us had the pleasure of meeting her. Here she is, with N.E.Brigand at the Vermont Tolkien Conference in April 2009:

Please feel free to post to this thread your thoughts and memories of weaver. Heart

It is my wish that she has found her way to a well-known Inn, where a certain Professor has ordered her a Pint, and has been awaiting her arrival...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 5 2016, 7:40pm

Post #2 of 90 (2479 views)
Shortcut
Sad news... [In reply to] Can't Post

My thoughts and condolences go out to Patricia'a family, friends and TORnsibs. May she rest in peace.

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 7:49pm

Post #3 of 90 (2505 views)
Shortcut
Little note to weaver: [In reply to] Can't Post

I will never be quite the same, not just because you are now somewhere else, and not here with us, but because of the friend you were, and the example of warm, kind and brilliant humanity you brought to all of us.

Goodbye for now,

Ethel

And for all of us, weaver mentioned more than once in this past year about sitting on her back patio, loving to watch the hummingbirds come flit around in the sunlight. The day I heard of her passing, I was looking for some flower pictures online, and found this right at the top of the search page.

I’m posting it here with the title that came to me then, just very simply.

Flying Free

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Oct 5 2016, 7:56pm)

squire
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 7:52pm

Post #4 of 90 (2482 views)
Shortcut
She was such a lively, witty, and fun writer [In reply to] Can't Post

I can only imagine how that must have helped her grant-writing!

Here on TORn it was always wonderful to see her name in an ongoing thread or at the head of a new Reading Room discussion topic, and know that her love of the books, and wisdom about how to read them for greater depth and pleasure, was once again there to be shared with all of us.

I can only offer my deepest sympathies to her family and 'real-life' friends. She will be missed by them more than by us, perhaps - but we will indeed miss her.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 7:57pm

Post #5 of 90 (2453 views)
Shortcut
I'm so sorry to hear this [In reply to] Can't Post

Although we never met in person, via email she helped me out with some research. And for a while she was doing tarot card readings for 'sibs. I see mine is dated late 2005, and is very insightful, considering.

That far green country under a swift sunrise is now a richer place for her presence.

Unsure Heart

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 7:59pm

Post #6 of 90 (2480 views)
Shortcut
There are times in this life [In reply to] Can't Post

where a sense of loss cuts deeply into a person. But that is because a soul of great worth has gone on.
Weaver was dear to me because she was my friend. My experience was in large part doing group things such as the Good Deeds Conspiracies, helping those here and there of a particular need, of which were many. Our group cut 100's of emails bringing to bear help at trying times.
Weaver was our fearless leader. Together we would generate and sort out a host of ideas. This dear person i had come to reverently respect so very much.
She is also one that i came to trust and confide in. She was truly a help to my wife sharing the loss of their fathers together.
As long as i live she will continue to be a vibrant force in my life guiding me from the deep goodness and wholesomeness of her spirit.
The longer i live, the more i realize that riches, are the wellspring of human souls that has touched my heart.  I feel rich because of knowing her
Please, all of you, embrace the grace and positive spirit she had at all times and the love she always gave to support us.
Carry on, celebrate her life, by living in the footsteps she left for she lived well.
Peace to you my friend.

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 5 2016, 8:23pm

Post #7 of 90 (2495 views)
Shortcut
a loss [In reply to] Can't Post

I value words but there are times when words just can't express ... can't encompass the 'thing' of it all.

Pat and I were comrades on the boards. We were like those friends in high school, the open gregarious one and the introverted slightly dark one. She pushed and coaxed me into projects that sometimes went well and sometimes I said, never again! :-)

But we connected privately too. She was what I call a kindred spirit. We were alike in many ways and she got me. And not a lot of people get me so I value dearly every one.

This is a loss. For us, here at TORn who knew her. For her family and friends. For her community back in Massena where she was active.

And even though it might be hard to tell, this is a loss for folks who never knew her. Because she changed these boards. She changed us. And it was all for the better.

I'd like to add a few instances of how in further posts.

As a companion to Ethel's hummingbird, I'll post a haiku (among many) I sent weaver. She comment on quite a few but this one seemed special to her.

As I was walking in the park on the day of her death, grieving her, a butterfly flew by. And another flew by outside my window just now.

say hey to Hobbit love if you see her, weaver. You'll have tons to talk about.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 5 2016, 8:34pm

Post #8 of 90 (2468 views)
Shortcut
I'm stunned. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm speechless.

She was one of my most favorite people.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

silneldor
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 8:44pm

Post #9 of 90 (2495 views)
Shortcut
A REQUEST [In reply to] Can't Post

Weaver's husband came to know and value greatly Tolkien and TORn and TORnfolk because of all the support we gave to his wife in time of need. He did not realize such beautiful people or website exists.

I think it would of great value, if you will, give me a sentiment in support for him and his three sons for i will send a card from all of us. It is of no matter who you are. Please add in.

PM me or email me : blueskynj@netscape.com and i will add it to the card. May there be many, for these are good people and value very much a word from you in their time of need..
Thank you all

" 'Fair lady Goldberry!' said Frodo at last, feeling his heart move with a joy that he did not understand. He stood as he had at times stood enchanted by fair elven-voices; but the spell that was now laid upon him was different: less keen and lofty was the delight, but deeper and nearer to mortal heart; marvellous and yet not strange."

Chapter VII: In the House of Tom Bombadil; FOTR's

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Annael
Immortal

Oct 5 2016, 9:46pm

Post #10 of 90 (2447 views)
Shortcut
oh, I'm sad [In reply to] Can't Post

always liked her posts.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Entwife Wandlimb
Lorien

Oct 5 2016, 9:57pm

Post #11 of 90 (2445 views)
Shortcut
her words from Dec.3, 2010 [In reply to] Can't Post

Reflecting on this chapter as a whole, I find that part of its impact on me today is not only what's being lost, but a recognition that only a precious few will truly appreciate after its gone, and then, only in part. It’s that whole sense of never ever being able to go back to a time and tell someone what they meant to you – of only recognizing in hindsight that a person, place or time was significant to you. I wonder how much of this is a reflection of Tolkien’s thoughts about his mother, or others he lost along the way.

This time, that line of Galadriel’s to Celeborn, when they drink the cup -- one I never paid much attention to before -- hit me especially hard:

“let not your heart be sad though night must follow noon, and already our evening draweth nigh.'

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 5 2016, 10:05pm

Post #12 of 90 (2445 views)
Shortcut
Rest in peace, dear weaver. [In reply to] Can't Post

My warmest wishes go to her husband and children.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ettelewen
Rohan

Oct 5 2016, 10:15pm

Post #13 of 90 (2424 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always enjoyed weaver's intelligent and insightful posts on these boards. Although I never had the good fortune to meet her, I remember her fondly and will miss her very much. My condolences to her family. Her spirit lives on in all of us.

Elf_Maven
Bree

Oct 5 2016, 10:33pm

Post #14 of 90 (2420 views)
Shortcut
I had lost touch [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason unknown even to me, I have drifted away from these boards and from weaver. Though I never met her, she was once a valued and cherished colleague to me here. I look forward to joining her in the Second Music of the Ainur.

"Go where you must go, and hope!"

- Gandalf, TTT The White Rider

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2016, 12:08am

Post #15 of 90 (2397 views)
Shortcut
Sad news [In reply to] Can't Post

Weaver was such a valued member of the boards here, and we will miss her. All the best to her family and friends.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2016, 1:28am

Post #16 of 90 (2379 views)
Shortcut
Very sad news. [In reply to] Can't Post

She was a delightful presence on the boards. She will be missed. Frown

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 6 2016, 4:19am

Post #17 of 90 (2360 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Dernwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed reading about Pat.
Although I never met her, I felt I knew her, or at least, a little part of her.

When I first joined TORn, I spent most of my time on the LOTR movie board, along with Off-Topic. There were a few posters in particular I always looked out for, and Weaver was one of them. I cannot count the times I would read what she had written in one of the movie threads and feel that she had expressed just what I wanted to say, but couldn't seem to formulate in the way I wanted. So often, I would find myself writing, "what she said^^^" in a discussion.
I loved reading what she wrote, and I gained a richer and deeper understanding of the films because of her.

I want to send my deepest sympathies and lots of hugs to the people who knew Pat in real life: You have lost a dear friend, and my thoughts are with you all.

For all the hand-wringing about the encroachment of technology and various forms of social media into our lives, there is a gift that also comes with it. I consider myself very fortunate to be a part of this TORn community. It has given me the opportunity to read the words of a person of great wisdom, thought and care. A person such as Pat.

Here is a special NZ bird for Weaver:

Komiromiro (Tomtit)
Komiromiro were seen as bearers of good news. People believed they had special powers, and saw them as tapu (sacred). An observant person was said to have ‘he kanohi Komiromiro’, the eye of a tomtit, referring to the careful way the bird looked for small insects.

Rest in peace, lovely Weaver. I will always remember you.

(This post was edited by Starling on Oct 6 2016, 4:24am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2016, 4:45am

Post #18 of 90 (2406 views)
Shortcut
This cut is deep [In reply to] Can't Post

weaver is so much a part of TORn... our community and home. I've been trying to get my head around this, and failing.

I first met weaver at a LotR marathon in Toronto in April 2005. Such a lovely, fun Lady!

She's given so much to TORn. It was her inspired idea to create Founders Day on our 10th TORniversary to celebrate and give thanks to our Founders. Always so generous... brilliant... inspiring... supportive... wonderful.

Blessings and peace for her family and for her. This is so so sad.

Thank you, dernwyn {{hugs all}}

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2016, 6:31am

Post #19 of 90 (2361 views)
Shortcut
Such heartbreaking news :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I never met Pat in person, we interacted on *so many* TORn projects over the years, and as I was going through old emails earlier today to remember her by, it reminded me of what a delightful personality she had, and how her wonderful nature shone through even the most mundane of mails.

It is heartbreaking to think I will no more receive emails signed "Pat/weaver", but there's consolation knowing she will now and forever be in a wonderful place filled with nothing but happiness.

I send my prayers and best wishes to her family and friends {{hugs}} Heart

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 6 2016, 8:11am

Post #20 of 90 (2363 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know her in person.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew her posts, which were creative and thoughtful, funny and kind. And I'm glad to know more of her now though sad too, because I can't help reflecting how strange it is that we all meet here and talk and think and laugh - and occasionally there's that little transient connection beyond the words - a meeting of minds - with people who for the most part we could pass on the street and never recognise. And yet, as Starling says, it's also a gift, because in this place we find special people whom in ordinary life we'd never meet at all.

Hello Pat - and thank you for being here.

My heart goes out to those of you who knew Pat/weaver as a friend, and to her family.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Oct 6 2016, 9:23am

Post #21 of 90 (2343 views)
Shortcut
As gramma said this is a cut that goes deep [In reply to] Can't Post

There's too many things I could say about weaver, so I'll just say this,

Namarië my TORn-Twin, I will miss you always :'(

Owlyross
Rohan

Oct 6 2016, 11:22am

Post #22 of 90 (2308 views)
Shortcut
Very sad [In reply to] Can't Post

I've not been on the board for years, but I heard about this, and remember weaver well from back when I was active. I just wanted to pass on my condolences and love to her family.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2016, 11:37am

Post #23 of 90 (2340 views)
Shortcut
What a wonderful idea [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, sil... it helps to feel like there's something to do that might help her husband, sons and family. I'll send something as soon as I can.

I know how close you were. I'm sorry...

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2016, 11:55am

Post #24 of 90 (2339 views)
Shortcut
Delicate wings [In reply to] Can't Post

Her gift of acceptance and appreciation for us... just as we are... is lovely and rare. I'm so happy you shared that close bond. Now with Hobbit love, Widfara, Balin, Reverend... what conversations there must be!

{{Magpie}} I'll never see a butterfly or hummingbird without thinking of her.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 6 2016, 12:02pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Oct 6 2016, 12:49pm

Post #25 of 90 (2296 views)
Shortcut
I remember her name from long ago on the boards - so sad to hear she has gone. [In reply to] Can't Post

My condolences to her friends and family.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.