Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
There is a 'Revised' 2nd edition of The J.R.R Tolkien Companion And Guide listed on Amazon for release next year:

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 3 2016, 5:06pm

Post #1 of 23 (2412 views)
Shortcut
There is a 'Revised' 2nd edition of The J.R.R Tolkien Companion And Guide listed on Amazon for release next year: Can't Post

https://www.amazon.co.uk/...Guide/dp/0008214549/

Anyone heard anything about a re-release?

I have the original edition and it is an absolutely incredible resource, highly recommended if you can track down a copy (I believe it has been out of print for some years unfortunately), packed with fascinating information and chronology about Tolkien and his writings (though the lack of a contents page and the lengthy index made it a tad confusing for this reader to navigate at times).

- I believe the authors, Wayne G Hammond and Christina Scull post here occasionally?

IIRC the original edition was some 2300 pages long (Amazon lists the above as 2400 pages) but in the decade since its first publication we've had a number of new posthumous releases of Tolkien writings, numerous new works of criticism and The Hobbit trilogy, and Hammond and Scull have kept an extensive Addenda and Corrigenda page on their website.

Assuming the Amazon listing is accurate, I will be very interested to see if there is any new/revised content, and I'm certainly glad that such an fascinating, well put together and detailed resource is going to be reprinted...

Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 3 2016, 9:09pm

Post #2 of 23 (2314 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's good to know about. I use Robert Foster's The Complete Guide to Middle-earth a lot and that could also use another revision, if only to clean up some errors and clarify some material. I wonder if he is still active as a writer?

"He who lies artistically, treads closer to the truth than ever he knows." -- Favorite proverb of the wizard Ningauble of the Seven Eyes

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 3 2016, 9:20pm

Post #3 of 23 (2312 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

We wants it, preciousss.Cool

I know your heart been broke again
I know your prayers ain’t been answered yet
I know you’re feeling like you got nothing left
Well, lift your head, it ain’t over yet, ain’t over yet so

Move, keep walkin’ soldier keep movin’ on
Move, keep walkin’ until the morning comes
Move, keep walkin’ soldier keep movin’ on
And lift your head, it ain’t over yet, ain’t over yet

Hold on, hold on, the Lord ain’t finished yet
Hold on, hold on, He’ll get you through this
Hold on, hold on, These are the promises
I never will forget, I never will forget
~"Move" by TobyMac

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 4 2016, 10:09pm

Post #4 of 23 (2270 views)
Shortcut
*Adds to wish list.* [In reply to] Can't Post

They haven't posted anything to their blog about this yet, but presumably there will be more information there soon.

And you are correct: Hammond and Scull post occasionally to TORN (and elsewhere) under the screen name "Findegil".

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Trotter99

Oct 5 2016, 4:39am

Post #5 of 23 (2248 views)
Shortcut
It is on their blog [In reply to] Can't Post

Announcement

SmileSmileSmile

My collector's profile - http://www.tolkienlibrary.com/...llectors/Trotter.htm

squire
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 12:11pm

Post #6 of 23 (2227 views)
Shortcut
Wow, and yikes. [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like they're adding a lot of updated material and information, and also fixing the problems with navigating the first one, like headnotes at tops of the pages to let you know which topic you're reading. Three volumes instead of two.

I'm not sure where the money's coming from but this looks like a must-have.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 5 2016, 1:38pm

Post #7 of 23 (2215 views)
Shortcut
Excellent News! [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly sounds like there will be alot of new information, I'll definitely be purchasing a copy when I can. Smile

When HarperCollins commissioned this new work, they asked us not to discuss it until they could arrange publicity to be released at an optimal time. But partial information about the book slipped out to Amazon UK and was soon noticed by fans. We asked for permission to announce the new edition formally in this space, and received it this morning.

...I feel a little guilty, it appears I was the first and perhaps only fan to notice the Amazon page, maybe it would have slipped by quietly until the planned announcement...

Many thanks to HarperCollins and Findegil for making a second edition possible Smile

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 4:45pm

Post #8 of 23 (2196 views)
Shortcut
That's on Amazon, not you. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I did notice when replying to you yesterday that Findegil had visited TORN not long before! Authors generally are gratified that people are interested in their work, so you shouldn't feel bad at all.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 5:14pm

Post #9 of 23 (2209 views)
Shortcut
"The decade has passed as if in the blink of an eye." [In reply to] Can't Post

That point was lately driven home for me. Scull and Hammond's book appeared almost simultaneously with, and in most ways overshadowed, the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: Scholarship and Critical Assessment, edited by Michael D.C. Drout. A dozen TORN participants were among the 127 authors who contributed articles to that volume. (You can read a good deal more about how that happened via links in squire's footer.) I decided to collect all the contributors' autographs. It was an impossible project, even lugging my copy of the encyclopedia to one Tolkien conference after another, even once to England. Too many people from too many places, and of course, the passing of time has its usual effects. Still, it was a treat this summer in Manhattan when I met at last the book's most prolific contributor (in terms of number of articles), who had proved very elusive. I don't expect many more, and shall have to be content with just over 60 signatures in ten years.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 5 2016, 5:46pm

Post #10 of 23 (2181 views)
Shortcut
Also adds to wish list [In reply to] Can't Post

I would not normally consider purchasing a new edition of something that I already had, particularly one of not insignificant cost. However, I think in this case I might need to make an exception.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

squire
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 6:18pm

Post #11 of 23 (2183 views)
Shortcut
Not too elusive for you! Congrats on finally getting that prolific signature. [In reply to] Can't Post

He was lurking in the bauxite mines of Dutch Guiana, no doubt.

I agree that, over the decade, the Hammond & Scull tome seems to have outclassed the Encyclopedia. For one thing, there's no hint of an updated and revised edition for it - which it could certainly have used from the first. But I do still refer to it from time to time.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2016, 1:25am

Post #12 of 23 (2117 views)
Shortcut
In the blink of an eye... [In reply to] Can't Post

I FINALLY got my copy of the Encyclopedia just a few months ago. I just stood there and held it in combined awe and reflection :) with a helping of geeky giggles!

When I was on a quest for signatures (family gathering of sorts) for my Signlanguage book, I finally had to admit I wouldn't get all the sigs I hoped for. SO... I wrote to about 8 people I really wanted to add to my book and asked for a signature on a slip of paper to slip between the pages with regrets to not being able to meet and moot in person. All 8 happily responded! So humbling and lovely! Maybe an alternative to frequent-flyer miles? ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 6 2016, 1:37am

Post #13 of 23 (2111 views)
Shortcut
Mussst... resissssst... possssst.... [In reply to] Can't Post

*sigh* I'm such a baaaaaad girl ;) So impulsive!! But I have no movies to save for anymore :(

Thank you for this :D *circles calendar*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

5th draft of TH:BotFA Geeky Observations List - January 30, 2015

TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Findegil
The Shire

Oct 6 2016, 2:37am

Post #14 of 23 (2108 views)
Shortcut
If you hadn't noticed it, [In reply to] Can't Post

someone else would have done so before long, so you needn't feel guilty! Indeed, thanks for bringing it up, so that we could let people know what we're working on.

Wayne & Christina

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 6 2016, 8:16am

Post #15 of 23 (2077 views)
Shortcut
Whereas I don't have the original.... [In reply to] Can't Post

..which makes the new edition all the more enticing (and easy to justify). And we do have almost a year to save the pennies.... Smile

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2016, 7:59pm

Post #16 of 23 (2004 views)
Shortcut
Same here... [In reply to] Can't Post

Heck, I didn't even know this existed in the past! Shocked

This will be the easiest purchase I've made in years. Cool

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 6 2016, 8:01pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2016, 10:53pm

Post #17 of 23 (1975 views)
Shortcut
I have the first one and it's amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

I can usually resist the statues, environments or other WETA/Sideshow stuff, but I can NOT resist a new book. I will definitely order this!

malickfan
Gondor

Oct 8 2016, 6:26pm

Post #18 of 23 (1867 views)
Shortcut
And thank you (and Haper Collins) for making a second edition possible! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've lost track of the amount of times I've referred to the Companion and Guide over the years...

Smile

Modtheow
Lorien

Oct 17 2016, 2:06am

Post #19 of 23 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you'd probably get that one this summer in New York!

If you want to complete your list, I can always try to find the other Nova Scotian contributor, but that means you'd have to stop and visit next time you're driving by!

Altaira
Superuser

Oct 17 2016, 4:30am

Post #20 of 23 (1631 views)
Shortcut
Gosh, it's nice to see you here! [In reply to] Can't Post

I confess I did several double-takes when I saw this post. But, it's definitely you, and you've definitely been missed here.

Just wanted to let you know that, and to say 'hello' and that I hope life is treating you well. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Modtheow
Lorien

Oct 17 2016, 4:52pm

Post #21 of 23 (1604 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi Altaira! It's so nice to have someone still recognize me and to be welcomed back. I've vowed many times over the last few years to come back regularly; maybe this time I'll do it. And yes, all is fine.

a.s.
Valinor

Oct 17 2016, 11:40pm

Post #22 of 23 (1585 views)
Shortcut
I did! I do! [In reply to] Can't Post

DID recognize you, and DO welcome you back. I myself have been hit or miss the last several years, but it's so nice to see old friend's names on the board.

Heart

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"A safe fairyland is untrue to all worlds." JRR Tolkien, Letters.

Modtheow
Lorien

Oct 23 2016, 3:16am

Post #23 of 23 (1464 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, a.s. I've managed to pop into the Reading Room tonight as well. Hopefully, I can make it a habit.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.