Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
NZ's Hobbiton a triple title winner from NZ tourism awards!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 3 2016, 3:24am

Post #1 of 11 (1420 views)
Shortcut
NZ's Hobbiton a triple title winner from NZ tourism awards! Can't Post

Hobbiton Movie Set has won top honours in three categories at the Tourism Industry Awards.

The Matamata business won the Business Excellence Award – annual turnover more than $6 million; the Tourism Marketing Campaign Award; and the inaugural People's Choice Award.

The full news story is here

A thoroughly deserved win! I visited Hobbiton a couple of years ago and they've done a great job of giving people a taste of the Shire and being able to geek out in a lovingly maintained movie site. I especially loved The Green Dragon - I'd love to spend an evening there sometime.

I know other board members have visited as well. What are your favourite memories from being there?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 2:15pm

Post #2 of 11 (1374 views)
Shortcut
We've been there twice [In reply to] Can't Post

Once in 2008, when it was close to being a pile of rubble, and then again in 2011, about a week after PJ and company pulled out after filming scenes from The Hobbit.

All the little props and plants and washing hanging on the lines and gardens and.... It's just wonderful Heart. The only problem was, the Green Dragon hadn't opened for business yet. But that gives us a reason to go back a third time, yes?

There are bullfrogs living around the little pond at the very bottom of the site, croaking away. We debated for a moment whether they were real or audio-animatronic, but were assured they were real. What a great touch!

I also had my first flat white ever at the café and am hooked for life Smile

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 5:05pm

Post #3 of 11 (1368 views)
Shortcut
The sensation of walking uphill to Bag End [In reply to] Can't Post

It felt like walking through a dream (albeit a brief one, as the tour is ~20 minutes long Tongue). Standing next to the Party Tree, looking around and realizing, "I'm here" is another breathtaking moment. The Green Dragon feels so effortlessly real and cozy.

I took a few videos while atop the Hill next to Bag End, and was taken back by how similar the end result was to a couple of shots from AUJ. One does not necessarily need a fancy RED camera to achieve such simple beauty. SmileHeart

Oof, now I'm craving a return journey. Congrats to the Matamata team! Well deserved.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 6:25pm

Post #4 of 11 (1364 views)
Shortcut
But were you actually ever here? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no concrete evidence...Angelic

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 3 2016, 7:09pm

Post #5 of 11 (1359 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have two or three horrible, they-will-never-see-the-light-of-day selfies taken at Hobbiton.

But, you know, I'm currently being audited by the photography lab and I can't release them until that is completed.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 4 2016, 5:25am

Post #6 of 11 (1340 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

Excellent response. Cool

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 1:04am

Post #7 of 11 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't resist. [In reply to] Can't Post

I never thought I'd say this, but I want to trade this election season for NZ's 2014 election.

*whistfully remembers Campbell Live*

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 3:44am

Post #8 of 11 (1302 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

you can wistfully imagine Campbell Live all you like, since it doesn't exist anymore.

It's all relative isn't it? Our current PM and his cronies are so vile, but there are others even viler out there...it is a sad world indeed.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 5 2016, 5:27am

Post #9 of 11 (1292 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to rip off that band-aid [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot about that!

And yes, indeed...Crazy

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 8 2016, 1:33am

Post #10 of 11 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

I just made my reservations to get to NZ, am trying to decide on the tour by GreatSights or the one by Beach and Bush, both with the Waitomo Glowworm caves.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 8 2016, 2:40am

Post #11 of 11 (1145 views)
Shortcut
When you get to Waitomo, [In reply to] Can't Post

definitely visit the Ruakuri (two dogs) cave - it is magnificent.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.