Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Sean Bean's best line in LOTR
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Sean Bean's best line in LOTR
One does not simply walk into Mordor
They have a cave troll
I would have followed you to the end, my brother - my captain - my king
It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing.
What is this new devilry?
This is no mine. It's a tomb
Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?
Remember today, little brother
What?
Other (specify in post)
View Results (47 votes)

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 8 2016, 4:33pm

Post #26 of 48 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, but I thought VM was one of the worst casting decisions in LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

VM was just horrible as Aragorn; he shouldn't have been that angst-ridden, almost whiny. VM has done a superb job in other acting jobs so I suppose he might have been acting as directed but I hated his performance other than his opening scene at the Prancing Pony and at the coronation ceremony when he told the hobbits they bowed to no one. As was stated earlier, I think Sean Bean carried the gravitas that Aragorn should have (although he did a great job with Boromir).

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 8 2016, 7:21pm

Post #27 of 48 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Well in my opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

VM was one of the best actors in LOTR, I think he was superb. I can't imagine SB as Aragorn - I don't think he'd've suit the role

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 9 2016, 2:33pm

Post #28 of 48 (1138 views)
Shortcut
"acting as directed" [In reply to] Can't Post

is the problem; as you say, he's very good in other roles. Book-Aragorn never doubts his purpose or his duty (nor does Faramir), but as admirable as that might be, it didn't work with PJ's need to "heighten the tension" every. single, way. he possibly could in the movies, both with the character arcs and the plot points. So we had Aragorn "breaking up" with Arwen, Elrond sending her away, Faramir taking the hobbits to Osgiliath, Aragorn falling off a cliff, Theoden waffling about helping Gondor, Frodo sending Sam away, Denethor refusing to light the beacons, the King of the Dead not recognizing & bowing before Aragorn immediately, Gandalf regretting sending Frodo to Mordor (???) etc. etc. etc. . . . a policy that backfired imho. And then he directed the actors accordingly, and I think the character of Aragorn suffered the most as a result.

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 9 2016, 2:45pm

Post #29 of 48 (1136 views)
Shortcut
I don't think Aragorn suffered at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Although - oh - I wish the King of the Dead had bowed to Aragorn in immediate respect - how wonderful would that have been - I don't see why this stuff would be detrimental to VM's performance.

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 9 2016, 10:44pm

Post #30 of 48 (1122 views)
Shortcut
I mean [In reply to] Can't Post

he did the best he could with the character as PJ saw him . . . but I think there was an inherent dichotomy in PJ's vision between the noble King and the guy with all the self-doubt.

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 10 2016, 8:12pm

Post #31 of 48 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's meant to be humbleness and worry instead of self-doubt

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 10 2016, 10:10pm

Post #32 of 48 (1078 views)
Shortcut
but [In reply to] Can't Post

all that about how he wonders if he'll turn out like Isildur? "The same weakness" he says . . .

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 10 2016, 11:04pm

Post #33 of 48 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I would look worried if I knew it was likely that my prospective kingdom and wife would be destroyed, along with myself, by an evil Dark Lord Tongue

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 11 2016, 12:07am

Post #34 of 48 (1069 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking specifically of this conversation from FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen: Why do you fear the past? You are Isildur’s heir, not Isildur himself. You are not bound to his fate.
Aragorn: The same blood flows in my veins. The same weakness.
Arwen: Your time will come. You will face the same evil, and you will defeat it.

That sounds like self-doubt to me!

And book-Aragorn would never have said it.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Oct 11 2016, 6:56am

Post #35 of 48 (1054 views)
Shortcut
True, but that's not VM's fault. [In reply to] Can't Post

He played the character he was given. To his credit, he had read the book on the way to NZ, but it was Jackson's movie.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 11 2016, 2:20pm

Post #36 of 48 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

And book-Aragorn would never have said it.

One might argue he never would have said it - except in a very private moment with Arwen.

Thus given the hobbitocentric nature of the book, readers would never be privy to such confidences, whereas given the omniscient nature of the film, audiences are.

(I note his book conversation with the hobbits at Bree does hint at deeper and darker emotional waters that are never fully plumbed.)

Just a thought.

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 11 2016, 2:58pm

Post #37 of 48 (1038 views)
Shortcut
EXACTLY [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm trying to make the point that PJ wrote the script and directed him in a certain way, so if there's any fault in his performance, the blame should be laid on PJ.

(This post was edited by Annael on Oct 11 2016, 2:59pm)

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 11 2016, 5:00pm

Post #38 of 48 (1022 views)
Shortcut
Well personally I don't see any fault in his performance/adaptation :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 16 2016, 7:27pm

Post #39 of 48 (946 views)
Shortcut
... and personally, many of us do ... :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I hated VM's performance in the movies. I still do. I am more resigned to them after all the praise heaped on him in watching the Appendices and seeing all the work he put into practicing and preparing for the role when he got there and I'm more than willing to ascribe blame for the characterization to the writers and direction but for me it was the worst characterization in the films (until the TH trilogy came along).

What we got on screen was no more Aragorn (as depicted in the books) than Will Smith was Captain James West in the late unlamented "Wild Wild West" film or Timothy Spall was Fagin in the BBC's/PBS's horrible 2007 adaptation of "Oliver Twist".

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 16 2016, 8:57pm

Post #40 of 48 (941 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

You say his performance was awful. Why? Why was he so different than in the book? Please back up your opinions with a reason.

By the way, you can't say "personally" and then state that "many of us" hate his performance. A bit oxymoronic.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 16 2016, 10:17pm

Post #41 of 48 (937 views)
Shortcut
No, it's not [In reply to] Can't Post

1. I personally detest the way he depicted Aragorn -- I recognize that is not universal, you being a primary example of that.
2. Others have expressed the same distaste for VM's angsty version of Aragorn -- many others. Hence, no oxymoron.
3. We have said repeatedly what we dislike about VM's portrayal: his version of Aragorn was riddled with self-doubt and angst. Aragorn in the books was not cocksure or arrogant but he also didn't constantly doubt himself. We've provided citations from both the movies and the books, is that reason (and evidence) enough for you? I have said this repeatedly as have others -- I felt no need to repeat myself yet again and still don't. You on the other hand have provided no reasons why VM's performance should be regarded as highly as you do; "please back up your opinions with a reason."

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 16 2016, 10:35pm

Post #42 of 48 (933 views)
Shortcut
I didn't mean to be rude [In reply to] Can't Post

1. There's no point in starting an argument about what is an oxymoron and what isn't, so I won't.
2. As for reasons, I think he masterfully played the care-ridden character of Aragorn. He was able to add years of care to himself easily. And Aragorn didn't constantly doubt himself - maybe once or twice, but he was human. Maybe the "I have never wanted that power" line was a mistake, I'll admit that. If your reason you dislike Aragorn being angst-ridden is because in the book he was completely different, then why are you still able to appreciate Sean Bean when in the movies they said he departed Gondor unwillingly, unlike in the books?

As for the majesty he showed in the books, the majesty VM showed when revealing Anduril to Sauron was magnificent.

Sorry if I came across rude.

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 17 2016, 12:56am

Post #43 of 48 (926 views)
Shortcut
where I diverge from you [In reply to] Can't Post

is that I wouldn't call it Viggo's version. PJ wrote the character that way and directed Viggo to act it that way. Viggo did not create the character. I personally think he did as good a job as anyone could have being asked to play Aragorn that way.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Oct 17 2016, 1:32am

Post #44 of 48 (922 views)
Shortcut
That's fine [In reply to] Can't Post

I really don't know how much of Viggo's portrayal came from his own interpretation and how much came from PJ. As they stated in the Appendices, PJ often had the actors do the takes a variety of ways and then chose the one he wanted in post edit. I was calling it VM's portrayal or rendition because at the end of the day, it WAS his acting but certainly a large portion of how it came across was a result of the direction and editing.

In any event, it was probably my one major disappointment with the LOTR films and is a bit off-topic from the OP. I thought Bean had the weight and gravitas that Aragorn should have carried but I've always been a fan of Bean as an actor. I don't know who I would have chosen in 1999 to play Aragorn and obviously PJ had a bit of a problem with it too given how late he cast Viggo. I found I actually preferred Bean's performance without the addition in the EE of being "sent" to Rivendell by Denethor -- too much of an unnecessary departure from the text -- but even so, Bean's performance in that bit was fantastic.

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 17 2016, 5:21pm

Post #45 of 48 (890 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you on that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a huge fan of Bean & I think he could have carried off the role of Aragorn beautifully. Viggo in my mind is a 'character' actor not a leading man.

Casting rumors before the fact included Daniel Day-Lewis as Aragorn (supposedly approached and said no). Then Stuart Townsend was cast, a decision that I for one was appalled by - too young & too short. We were all relieved when Townsend was fired & they got Viggo on short notice.

I'm still surprised really that PJ didn't go local and hire Hugh Jackman, but maybe Jackman was already booked for X-Men by then.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Oct 20 2016, 4:12am

Post #46 of 48 (807 views)
Shortcut
Of the choices given, "One does not simply walk into Mordor" [In reply to] Can't Post

but the Cave Troll line is also pretty good!Cool

Ingwion
Lorien

Oct 20 2016, 4:23pm

Post #47 of 48 (782 views)
Shortcut
Boromir's whole speech at COE is brilliant // [In reply to] Can't Post

KingTurgon
Rohan

Jul 21 2017, 6:32pm

Post #48 of 48 (321 views)
Shortcut
One does not simply [In reply to] Can't Post

ROCK INTO MORDOR!

Brilliant line writing and delivery that also gets me laughing because of the pop culture frenzy it whipped up, lol.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.